• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Shaming Threads

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let's cool it with the type shaming threads. It's not an insightful or helpful approach to personality analysis. These are formalized rants, passive aggressive ways of expressing personal anger and hurt. I realize that we all get hurt very badly by others, but what would be a more productive way to deal with these feelings, rather than berating entire categories of people over personal pain?

Responses for other ideas of expressing personal pain are welcomed and important here.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
thank you.

edit especially when the critiicisms are often untrue and the person's understanding of the function is wrong

Permabanned
yeah, this is probably sensors or feelers fault, cuz 2 sensitive, or maybe it's thinkers 2 anal retentive, or maybe...idk :shrug:

Lark

Let's cool it with the type shaming threads. It's not an insightful or helpful approach to personality analysis. These are formalized rants, passive aggressive ways of expressing personal anger and hurt. I realize that we all get hurt very badly by others, but what would be a more productive way to deal with these feelings, rather than berating entire categories of people over personal pain?

Responses for other ideas of expressing personal pain are welcomed and important here.

I agree, though its nothing new, its the same phenomenon which is working itself out in the anti-feminist, anti-woman threads.

I've seen it in another format, the "angry introvert", on another typology forum.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This little girl is talking about her parents divorce, but it applies to all of us. Something to consider when we are about to bash each other.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree, though its nothing new, its the same phenomenon which is working itself out in the anti-feminist, anti-woman threads.

I've seen it in another format, the "angry introvert", on another typology forum.
Agreed. The problem with the personally angry threads abstracted into generalized theory is that even if there are bits of relevant information, there is never one individual who perfectly embodies a type. Even credible criticisms of tendencies within a type take on a black-and-white format where the anger is expressed as being pertinent to every person within that category. Humanity is so much more fluid and complex than this angry box system of thinking represents. The foundation of it is so erroneous that even if there are a few truths sprinkled in, the discussion is still not going to be enlightening.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I used to frequent wrongplanet, there'd periodically be "death to neurotypicals" sentiments expressed.

It's one thing to express frustrations with other groups and ideologies if it leads to understanding and discussion, another if it involves generalized blanket statements made with no intentions of finding common ground or seeking to empathize outside of one's own in-group.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe people are just looking for clarification or to have their perception checked, and find debate the best avenue in which to explore an idea. Or maybe they don't have the best way of presenting their ideas and learn best by talking things out, instead of reading static descriptions. Or maybe they are putting people in boxes because that's what typology does lol....

Or maybe they are just narrow minded asshats. But I don't actually know who you're talking about, so ..

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I used to frequent wrongplanet, there'd periodically be "death to neurotypicals" sentiments expressed.

It's one thing to express frustrations with other groups and ideologies if it leads to understanding and discussion, another if it involves generalized blanket statements made with no intentions of finding common ground or seeking to empathize outside of one's own in-group.

And don't mention the people on tumblr who say "down with cis".

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
FFS I know I'm preaching to the converted, every type has its own strengths, weaknesses and challenges. I've got respect for all types.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Maybe people are just looking for clarification or to have their perception checked, and find debate the best avenue in which to explore an idea.

This. Though, I 100% understand where OP is coming from. I would like to see an example of what they meant by 'type shaming thread'.

Starry

In all honesty I've appreciated negative feedback from members most of all...when it is accurate. I mean, if you buy into the concept of type...then it follows that you likewise bu y into the existence of type-related strengths and weakness. Seeing as I am always hoping someone or something else will make enlightenment super easy for me...I'm very cool with the people that are willing to risk discussing my type and functions in a negative way. But it damn well better be accurate.

If the information is accurate I want it out there regardless of the messengers motivations. Shame what is legitimately shameful for all I care... I'm looking towards the insight.

I'm not sure what wires get crossed for me though when an individual is inaccurate and belittling on top of that...perhaps it then registers with my system as an underdog situation and I go into reaction mode. But these people usually sink their own ships. Image spinners that use type-talk in an effort to sell their perfected facades are far more creepy to me than someone venting about their ex.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This. Though, I 100% understand where OP is coming from. I would like to see an example of what they meant by 'type shaming thread'.

I'm assuming Mal's provocatively worded series, the low quality troll ones like this, and a few initially benign ones that get thrown off the rails like so.

So less shaming and more...creating disruption through oversimplication and misrepresentation? A bit of a mouthful though.

Permabanned
Because starting another thread like it is totally not like posting offtopic in a thread complaining about the thread (while keeping it alive with attention lulz)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
People should stop giving them attention. Ignore & move on. Trolls get bored and leave when no one feeds them.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So less shaming and more...creating disruption through oversimplication and misrepresentation? A bit of a mouthful though.

Woah. Okay, now I understand.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It happens on a continuum, and the problem stands regardless of where each would draw the line for what a shaming thread is. I'm not trying to define that line myself. But if you want to hear some examples I do think fit the concept:
Threads that use the word "evil" associated with a type in the title.
Threads that are clearly a rant against an individual in the person's life, projected as a rage against a type.
Threads that expect members of a given type confess to being guilty of whatever is being presented in the OP.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Threads that expect members of a given type confess to being guilty of whatever is being presented in the OP.

^^^i love how I was "supposed" to confess to being some sort of abuser in the Si hate thread despite never having been apart of that lol

"I knew an ISFJ who was like this so all ISFJs are like this. You too."
"Nah"
"Then you will be one day, you monster"