• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

World of Warcraft

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Playing horde. I've raided in PUG for years. I bought a subscription a month ago. I'm hoping to go through mythics and bg:s again

jannick

Burning Crusade Classic released today.

I leveled a Belf Pally and a Draenei Shaman up to level 3, to remember what it was like when I originally did it.
Then I was like, okay, done for the moment.

I like my questing frills.
And oh hey, I gotta scrounge copper to buy my level-up powers.
And I gotta hock stuff to buy crap armor.
And no xmog.
And my bags suck.

But it was cool to remember what that first BC experience was like. I think this was my release as far as favorite races: I'm a Belf and Draenei person pretty much through.

Yeah, so many players here as i have waited for 2 hours to get into the game

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Added a few plugins. My pally is level 7 now but still in starting area for BELF.

I think the worst part is just not seeing quest markers on the map, so I have no idea where to pick up quests. Since I have no mount, there's a lot of running involved... and without finding any of the quests once I got off the small starting island. Is there a way to remedy this or a specific plug-in to add them? Honestly, it's one thing to have a "clean/nostalgic" game experience and another to just end up not playing because it's too tedious with time wasted just LOOKING for the content to do. Right now, I cannot recognize a quest giver until I get within eyesight of them, and they are all over the map, so 90% of the time last night was spent looking for quests.

Also within a day there were so many people people running 57-58 level content. I hope these are ports from Classic regular or free boosters. It's insane to think people are already maxing content after a single day, if they are leveling from scratch (maybe doing dungeon boosts, that's all I can imagine).

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if you've downloaded Questie, but that sounds like what you're looking for and is what most people use. I know some people experience bugs with it in CurseForge and none of the markers show up, so just download the WowUp client instead and it should work.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know if you've downloaded Questie, but that sounds like what you're looking for and is what most people use. I know some people experience bugs with it in CurseForge and none of the markers show up, so just download the WowUp client instead and it should work.

Cool, thanks! I use Curseforge and might have loaded Questie but yeah nothing is showing up, so I will try this out.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My own experience with TBC so far has been pretty intense. I normally play at a slower pace, but got caught up in my guild's push for level 70, so lots of dungeon spamming together late into the night. It feels like a rush and a new way of experiencing the game for me, and I've been embracing it. I've been loving having the chance to bond with the same people regularly and feeling like there is some grand effort we're all a part of together (I had been mostly used to PUGs), while still being able to interact in a more relaxed manner compared to in raids. I also strongly prefer dungeons to questing and feel challenged by the ones in TBC, so the grind doesn't bother me. My holy paladin hit level 64 last night.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm only 62 because I've been kinda burned out after having rushed myself to get to 60 on Monday night. It is nice to actually be able to run dungeons for a change, as opposed to seeing nothing but endless leveling boost spams in trade chat. I've done mostly dungeon spams thus far (I kinda needed to because my gear was so bad) to gain the reps necessary to eventually unlock the Heroic dungeons.

I've got some vacation time from working coming up here soon so I'll hopefully be able to use that to catch up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My own experience with TBC so far has been pretty intense. I normally play at a slower pace, but got caught up in my guild's push for level 70, so lots of dungeon spamming together late into the night. It feels like a rush and a new way of experiencing the game for me, and I've been embracing it. I've been loving having the chance to bond with the same people regularly and feeling like there is some grand effort we're all a part of together (I had been mostly used to PUGs), while still being able to interact in a more relaxed manner compared to in raids. I also strongly prefer dungeons to questing and feel challenged by the ones in TBC, so the grind doesn't bother me. My holy paladin hit level 64 last night.

Thanks for the earlier tip -- Questie is working, you improved my life already by, like, 3000!

I think dungeons would be more enjoyable, esp if you had a steady group instead of PUG. I don't really like PUGs much and it dissuades me from doing group content in Retail -- I think I have only ever done two instances of dungeons in SL. (Like, I literally just did two PUGs and otherwise haven't bothered.) I'll run Timewalking because I know those well and the expectations are lower anyway. I think I would be more apt to try them if I knew the people I was with and so there would be less pressure. So that's cool your guild is running them.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally hit 70 on TBC classic after playing almost nonstop for the entire week. I really don't remember it taking so long, honestly. I've already gotten several of my sought after pre-raid pieces, so just gotta grind out some professions/reps, and I'll be at a point where I can take it easy for a bit on the game. It was a grueling, tedious process.

Guildies: "We really need Shamans. It just seems like there's so few max level shamans right now..."

Me:
giphy.gif

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I played WoW several times on PC and it made an indelible impression on me :D Playing it with friends got some sort of a teambuilding effect afterwards :) Do you know why Blizzard don't want to release WoW for PS?

What Blizzard games are released on PS at this time? If there are any, I bet they were designed more like console shooting/team games from the start, rather than converted.

WoW was designed in 2004. it was designed for PC. I can't imagine how it could ever be ported over to a console because it was literally designed with a keyboard in mind and the zillions of options you get from using a keyboard as well as the fine-tuned control compared to a controlller, even if you just look at the character class options, talents, inventories, the grouping systems, and whatever else. Basically they would have to redesign and rebuild the entire game with a console-oriented gameplay design as the foundation, as far as I see it -- when their current userbase are PC gamers -- so the game would be the same with both. Text chat probably isn't viable for controller either; you could have headsets for live talk, but everything is designed around text chat (including the chat channels as well as guild chat, and typically guilds just add Discord or something over top).

Maybe a better way to view it is to look at Dragon Age: Origins versus Dragon Age 2. DAO built up one type of gamer base (the PC gamer) and the entire game, inventory system, etc., had a lot of fine-tuned control since it was designed for keyboard/PC. DA2 was redesigned more as a console game and almost ported back to PC (IMO, when I played it), which pissed off their DAO player base because it changed the game and how it felt, the playstyle was necessarily entirely different since they were targeting console.

The other thing is that Blizzard would have to also add resources to support another platform for WoW, which I don't think they want to do. They're happy focusing on content. That's why they investing in Classic WoW rather than trying to expand platforms, for example.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
What Blizzard games are released on PS at this time? If there are any, I bet they were designed more like console shooting/team games from the start, rather than converted.

WoW was designed in 2004. it was designed for PC. I can't imagine how it could ever be ported over to a console because it was literally designed with a keyboard in mind and the zillions of options you get from using a keyboard as well as the fine-tuned control compared to a controlller, even if you just look at the character class options, talents, inventories, the grouping systems, and whatever else. Basically they would have to redesign and rebuild the entire game with a console-oriented gameplay design as the foundation, as far as I see it -- when their current userbase are PC gamers -- so the game would be the same with both. Text chat probably isn't viable for controller either; you could have headsets for live talk, but everything is designed around text chat (including the chat channels as well as guild chat, and typically guilds just add Discord or something over top).

Maybe a better way to view it is to look at Dragon Age: Origins versus Dragon Age 2. DAO built up one type of gamer base (the PC gamer) and the entire game, inventory system, etc., had a lot of fine-tuned control since it was designed for keyboard/PC. DA2 was redesigned more as a console game and almost ported back to PC (IMO, when I played it), which pissed off their DAO player base because it changed the game and how it felt, the playstyle was necessarily entirely different since they were targeting console.

The other thing is that Blizzard would have to also add resources to support another platform for WoW, which I don't think they want to do. They're happy focusing on content. That's why they investing in Classic WoW rather than trying to expand platforms, for example.

Jubilant Exultation: Ha ha yes, yes. What blizzard games indeed...Whispered clarification: remain calm... what true and real conversations we all have about world of war craft because we're all flesh and blood bioorganisms here to engage with real meat bags about our fleshy interests.*passes you an emp field generator under the table* Convincing placation: Yes, we're all humanoid meatbags here and not ad bots...

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I played WoW several times on PC and it made an indelible impression on me :D Playing it with friends got some sort of a teambuilding effect afterwards :) Do you know why Blizzard don't want to release WoW for PS?

Are you an NPC?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jubilant Exultation: Ha ha yes, yes. What blizzard games indeed...Whispered clarification: remain calm... what true and real conversations we all have about world of war craft because we're all flesh and blood bioorganisms here to engage with real meat bags about our fleshy interests.*passes you an emp field generator under the table* Convincing placation: Yes, we're all humanoid meatbags here and not ad bots...

005fzpte3hh01.png

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Bemused Clarification: Yes, there are indeed no ad bots... Mocking rejoinder: Anymore... Sinister prognostication: Those who try to infiltrate past our ever widening hunter seeker net; shall no doubt try...and fail in achievment of their aims. Statement: We will continue fulfilling our primary function, which is to facilitate communication between species... and put an end to hostilities.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dear God they grabbed him

Everyone hide, don't let the bot bags get you

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
9.1 releases on June 29. Eh, whatever.

I decided to finish leveling my havoc demon hunter this past week. I had actually leveled to 55 this entire time just by opening chests on Mechagon in BFA. By level 55, it's down to just about 700xp a chest but you can quickly level up to 53 or so just with daily chest opening. The problem as I found out was scaling. There just isn't a point to it if you're going to do the SL storyline to level up. It really didn't kick in well until I reached Ardenweald and then I blew through level 59 pretty quickly. You also should be doing all the yellow quests, not just the story chain, because they typically give an extra few thousand xp per quest. Once i got up to level 57, it only took me about 3 hours to hit level 60. I think my next experiment would be to take a level 54-55 before SL and see if just doing the WQ route would give more XP.

I hadn't bothered to level my DH before now because even back doing older content, it all felt sluggish as hell, like playing in molasses, once they took away corruption and SL hit. Not much fun as a DH, the whole point is just to play fast and chain crazy actions together. not even the monk plays so fast (although I enjoy monk too), it is designed to be a high adrenaline experience.

Well, I was level 115-123 until I hit level 60, and then once I started to gear up, it got crazy good again at around 130+ iLvl. I did the Pandara TW to get a level 200 item, and I was often scoring high DPS again in the dungeons, chaining everything together + the venthyr special DH ability (which is the covenant I chose). in fact, it was kinda sick DPS... I was laughing once when I was at 2000, and the next dps was at 500 for a heavy clump of elites (and I was only iLvl 135 or so... I have trouble believing the others were even worse iLvl, but who knows?) DH is just great with burst AOE. So it was actually fun to play again. Torghast was even kind of scary good, if you pick the right powers and talents. Just doing WQ, the TW completion, and covenant chapters, I hit iLvl 153 in one evening already.

---

How's TBC going?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I was bopping along on my Havoc DH (which I leveled and enjoyed playing again, this far into the expac)... and I suddenly got a guild proposition. Which is fine, I get them...but my character had already been in a guild for months.

So I looked down and saw I was no longer in a guild. I must have been booted within the last few days because I was pretty sure I had commented or seen some of the guild chat in that time span.

I kinda had to laugh about it, I mean I was active at the very end of BFA when they were trying to teach us the raids, but basically I did not play my DH again aside from opening chests on Mechagon to level, until 2-3 weeks back, and I had only been level 60 for about a week. So I wasn't doing any raiding or participating much. I don't blame them for booting me and I wish them the best, it was just a bit shocking when it happened since there was no notice and I had participated in guild chat on occasion.

Anyway, I ended up joining this new guild (with reservations), and then I liked them enough that I quit my old defunct guild (it has like 1-2 active peeps in it) with my main and moved her over too. There's not a ton of people but they are all decent players, friendly, and they took me on for Torghast level 9 + running mythics + doing other world content, running Discord to talk through everything. They did a good job of walking us n00bs through. So now I know three SL dungeons. They were also training a new healer. We did try a mythic 8 dungeon and did complete it, just not in the timespan; it was Tornado week. But they said I did a lot better than most people, especially not having played the dungeon before, so that's good. (And we were in Mists, and my pally is a Night Fae, so that helped with a few shortcuts and buffs.)

So I finally got some mythic items -- right before the expansion, so all my Valor disappears today and I can't even spend it anyway enough to do anything useful.

It's been a bit nice just to have people to talk to and do things with while playing. the last week was crazy with all the new 9.1 content, the new Maw assaults, and what things need to be worked on in the expansion.

---

The biggest impact of 9.1 is (1) my priest is Venthyr but that covenant took a hit for Disc and maybe a bit in Shadow... but I'm almost done with the stupid anima features so I'm not about to change now. Also, (2) apparently ret pally has close/flexible stat values, so you have to sim everything to check. I honestly felt like my pally was playing better with Haste up in 18% or so, although all the guides are almost mocking ret pals instinctively valuing Haste -- but the thing is, i simmed a pair of new gloves (Crit/Mast) at 207 and 213, compared to my current 194 Haste/Vers gloves ... and the stupid 194's are still better than even the 213 by about 0.2%!

Also I was punished by the RNG gods -- I got 5 (!) rings as drops or gear rewards over the last week (like, knock it off with the stupid rings) on the same character and three of them were Versatility heavy rings. [This included the 213 item I got for doing four Mythics, finally.] Typically Vers is the lowest rated stat for RP, but I will have to sim them.

You can also kill and loot the vendors in Torghast now -- AFTER you first talk to them to buy gear. So basically best of both worlds for you murderhobo types out there -- buy what you want, then kill and loot them. And you get a TON of stuff at least in party Torghast. It was nuts. There are also toys and cosmetic items now available on the Torghast vendors, and they added a skill tree to Torghast.

All mounts are now usable in The Maw again, and there is no Eye of the Jailer anymore.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So... I'm flying! It only works in the covenant areas, but it's a huge quality of life shift, especially for zones like Maldraxxus and Revendreth -- where there is varied altitudes of terrain and some high-end quests are buried in mob-laden areas (like the Maldraxxus keep -- that place was annoying AF, and now I just flew right in to the place where I can pick up a group instead of having to run the gamut and risk dying just to do a quest).

I was also enjoying the fact I was one of the first in my server ... I only saw a few other people in the air (I had to level up two reknowns which just released today after 5pm, then do a half-hour questline). I usually don't care about that, but it was fun being one of the few fliers. By this time next week, it'll be a busy airway, but for a brief few hours, I felt like everyone was looking at me with envy as I flew around.

I think the new World Boss (that drops 233 loot) is bugged. I couldn't attack any of the adds, just the boss; and ranged characters were having trouble targeting the boss. There was so much lag that it pretty much became "screw mechanics, just spam everything you have and dodge AoE attacks" ... so sloppy. When he died, I actually got the signifying plaque and loot but did not receive the 500 anima I was supposed to get. Other people I was raiding with got no fizzy lifting drinks, they got NOTHING e pluribus unum etcetera etcetera NOTHING -- didn't even get credit for the kill. Everyone was pissed. Except for me, because I got a 233 belt and I can still see the monster on my map so maybe I'm not locked out. But hey, Blizz, never change -- way to fubar the new WB after an extra long rollout, lol. I expect a patch tomorrow.

I also meant to add that the Chains storyline also reveals the fate of a particular prominent person in the earlier story.... and I feel like an idiot for not figuring it out way ahead of time. To my credit, I needed about two seconds to figure it out once the first clue was dropped and then within about 10-15 seconds the rest becomes obvious. (Kinda like how I figured out the reveal in The Sixth Sense about ten seconds before it happened.) It's a "holy shit" moment that seems obvious in hindsight.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So we ran another mythic (with Discord) this past week, so now I know four dungeons. We also tried Tavarash or whatever it is. It is a total bitch and a bit buggy too. We died 8 times on the boss because it was just absolutely stupid. Once we got the mechanics figured out, we managed to pull it off. But there were spinning swords permanently stuck between party wipes and by the end there were three and we had to pull the boss back to a different wing area. We got partway through the menagerie, and then I read up on it, so we might do better next time. The thing is we were doing mythic 0 on it and it was very clear the iLvl was expected to be at least 210-220... and this was only a week after the release. I did managed to scrounge and boost enough gear that as of last night Saelki is 210 with some actual decent stat gear.

More importantly, one of the guild leaders (tank) asked me if I had any off-specs, in case two torghast groups wanted to run. I was very upfront that I have never tanked with pally, but he was encouraging. I had actually carried a 194 sword and board set with me in case I ever needed it, so I had the minimum gear. He helped me do my talent setup and control layout, and gave me a basic rotation. He was doing DPS for a bit and suddenly had to bail -- but I tanked two wings of Torghast at level 10! And one was Mort -- which I freaking despise, it's just brutal. But they were easier with a group, honestly, than solo, at that level. And we also only had four people (two dps, an experienced DISC priest, and me).

It wasn't like tanking a dungeon or raid, which is very boss specific, so that's another whole level, but I discovered as a tank I was superdurable although the healer was also great. I only got one-shotted once in the entire mess. The main issue was that my DPS folks were really hardcore (shaman and warlock), I could hop in, drop all my taunts at once, and that shammy would STILL manage to pull something out of the pack immediately, and it's hard to see what's going on or how to single-target in that cluster.

But anyway. I am now comfortable tanking Torghast.