• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is it ok for you to correct others?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Typo due to phone typing and autofill. us = is

I should mention that phone typing is no longer like being water boarded. I'm adapting it appears. Fortunately I received the 'selfie' inoculation (Merck) back in 2000 right before the first cell cam and the booster shot in 06' just before touch screens came out in 07'.

^ From his cell :D

Mine changes do into dont, can imagine all the issues that causes

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You have to know when it's best to let people learn on their own. Correcting them won't help. I mean, you want to say this....

vnvo9dslizntb9hmmdxy.gif

but many times you have to ask yourself - what's the point?

I have an issue of saying, "How is that working for you?" Or "Have fun with that."

My GF one time said i never run out of emotions because i was trying to help her get past some hormone issues after pregnancy. I laughed and said "Have fun with that." Couldnt resists the comedy and learning aspect of the concept of "have fun, with not having fun"

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mine changes do into dont, can imagine all the issues that causes

I cross an international border at least twice daily as well so my phone also wants to auto fill in Spanish, dependent on whether I'm roaming or not. I deal with it. Occasionally it pops out some funny ass combos, which diminishes the annoyance factor :D

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my estj friend who i've known forever and i have an agreement that we will always correct each other because we want to know. i recently asked my isfp gf if she wants me to correct her pronunciation when she says things wrong and she said no. both of these work equally well for me.

i like to be corrected, but not in a demeaning way. don't laugh at me. just tell me the fact i got wrong as a friend. i love to learn and have kind of an obsession with knowledge, so i'm super into it. my isfp knows she sucks at pronouncing things and would rather not be corrected. i totally get it and that's cool too.

so in short, it's like what others have said. it's for the benefit of the person being corrected. if i don't know the person, or don't know if they'd like to be corrected, i don't. unless i'm actually trying to be a snarky asshole lol which i have done.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my estj friend who i've known forever and i have an agreement that we will always correct each other because we want to know. i recently asked my isfp gf if she wants me to correct her pronunciation when she says things wrong and she said no. both of these work equally well for me.

i like to be corrected, but not in a demeaning way. don't laugh at me. just tell me the fact i got wrong as a friend. i love to learn and have kind of an obsession with knowledge, so i'm super into it. my isfp knows she sucks at pronouncing things and would rather not be corrected. i totally get it and that's cool too.

so in short, it's like what others have said. it's for the benefit of the person being corrected. if i don't know the person, or don't know if they'd like to be corrected, i don't. unless i'm actually trying to be a snarky asshole lol which i have done.

My GF pronounced Bose as Boisee. I corrected her so people knew what she was talking about, but now i am sad because she pronounces it right. I liked the wrong way...lol.

She has alot of issues with mis-pronunciation. She dont mind me correcting her, i just simply repeat it correctly each time after she says it wrong. She corrects herself and we move on. I really do like the mis-pronunciations though :shrug:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My GF pronounced Bose as Boisee. I corrected her so people knew what she was talking about, but now i am sad because she pronounces it right. I liked the wrong way...lol.

She has alot of issues with mis-pronunciation. She dont mind me correcting her, i just simply repeat it correctly each time after she says it wrong. She corrects herself and we move on. I really do like the mis-pronunciations though :shrug:

Yeah I love it too. I asked her because to me I'm offended if people keep their corrections from me, but I'm kinda glad she doesn't wanna know. It's adorable <3

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Is there anything off limits?

Try this on for size. Spend the entire day correcting yourself. Poke wholes in what you are thinking, doing, saying, believe, etc... Optimize your arguments for you being wrong. Then after you are done, optimizing for making those arguments wrong as well. Keep doing that for a while.

Next, open a book, read an entire page and try and memorize after reading it once. See how much you can remember. Then continue reading and ask yourself, what I am I forgetting? Can you feel the words leaving your brain?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
In general, I'll correct someone only if their mistakes negatively impacts on my enjoyment of life. For example, if you've made a wrong turn, I'll let you know. If you forgot to turn off the stove-top, I'll let you know. If you stink, I'll let you know.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

This is adorable. My ENFJ was talking to me one day and he mentioned a "pond". Except it sounded like "pawnd". Was this an Ohio pronunciation I had never heard come out of his mouth before? It struck me as so strange - I never recognized the way he pronounced "pond". Of course I asked him when he started saying it that way and he insisted he'd always said it that way. So now when I mention a "pond", I make sure to pronounce it with a clear Ohio nasally accent so he is sure to understand. It's not an actual mispronunciation but it's entertaining, nonetheless.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
if it's something simple like a mistake the person's made that they're not aware of (like they're having me proofread a paper they wrote and their grammar is horrible), I'm pretty quick to point stuff out. if it's more hard wired into them like an annoying habit or a generally bad trait I'm probably gonna have a harder time pointing it out unless they've really, really gotten me mad. if I made a small mistake, I'd want someone tell me so I wouldn't do it again and so it wouldn't end up hurting me in the future, but if it had to do with my personality I honestly be upset about it for a while, whether it was something I needed to change or not. it's mostly a "treat others how you want to be treated" mentality. with stuff like grammar, I'll correct them because bad grammar makes my gears grind like kids at a homecoming dance.

Mole

Permabanned
The truth is no one likes being criticized. So it is better not to criticize anyone close to you, as they have the opportunity to retaliate. So it is better to criticize those distant from you as they are less likely to take it personally, and if they do, they have less opportunity to retaliate.

On the other hand, we can deliberately raise the emotional temperature by contradicting someone or criticizing them.

But best of all, when we are tempted to contradict or criticize, we can reflect on ourselves and our temptation because it will tell us a great deal about ourself.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Is there anything off limits?

As i have told those close to me previously... I know that I am not always right, nor are my actions always the correct course of action, but at the end of the day, when you genuinely care about the well-being of another more than that of yourself, you do what you believe is in the best interest of the other, and you have faith that they will choose what is truly the best for them from all those which love them more than their selves. At the end of the day, everyone is left with one thing: Faith. Faith in yourself, and faith in those you love.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It depends on my mood, motivation, how important it is to correct them.. Sometimes it's a waste of time and energy

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I love it too. I asked her because to me I'm offended if people keep their corrections from me, but I'm kinda glad she doesn't wanna know. It's adorable <3
I'm an ESL and my girlfriend is a native English speaker. She keeps a list of all my mispronounciations and because she's basically awful and cruel, she laughs when she gets to add another butchered word to the list and then refuses to correct me. :cry:

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm an ESL and my girlfriend is a native English speaker. She keeps a list of all my mispronounciations, and because she's basically awful and cruel, she only laughs when she gets to add another butchered word to the list and refuses to correct me. :cry:

Ftfy. You're welcome.

:peepwall:

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ftfy. You're welcome.

I meant to emphasize that the only thing she does is revel in my pain.

Also, what good is a correction if I'm not told what I did wrong? YOU'RE JUST LIKE HER.

:azdaja:

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm an ESL and my girlfriend is a native English speaker. She keeps a list of all my mispronounciations, and because she's basically awful and cruel, she only laughs when she gets to add another butchered word to the list and then refuses to correct me. :cry:

See how I added that word? You are showing the relation between the two states with a transition word.

You know I was kidding with ya right :D. Since you asked I explained.

P.S. Don't use a comma after a word if the next word is and, i.e. mispronounciations, and.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
See how I added that word? You are showing the relation between the two states with a transition word.

You know I was kidding with ya right :D. Since you asked I explained.
Oh yeah... Makes sense. Awesome. Will edit to correct that.

P.S. Don't use a comma after a word if the next word is and, i.e. mispronounciations, and.

When I subvocalized the sentence, a short pause as indicated by a comma sounded natural. Maybe my speech patterns and the English language just don't mix.

Also, Oxford comma forever.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes there are multiple ways to do/accomplish something, and in that case, I won't 'correct'- as long as the person is getting task x accomplished and doesn't seem to be compromising the product via their method.

It irritates me though when people don't factor this in and 'correct' me or tell me to do something a certain way, as if there's one and only one way (their preferred way, basically) of accomplishing something.

Estelia

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
xwx
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It really depends on the person, for me. If I know that person is temperamental and/or close-minded, and doesn't take criticism well, it's not even worth dealing with correcting them. If I know the person is open minded and could accept criticism, I don't mind correcting them to help them out if they're wrong on something. Usually, I like correcting people so I could share what I have knowledge on to help them.