• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do some people post things up while others lurk?

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think people just have different engagement styles and ideas about what being part of a forum/given means to them. In general, I think some people have a lot of anxiety around sharing their ideas or thoughts in a "public" setting or aren't even too interested in sharing at all rather than just consuming information or observing. I personally do both, here I think I like the discussion aspect of things and being able to share my opinions anonymously and there are some platforms where I do enjoy the social impact of engaging, but generally speaking I'll lurk because I just want access to the information contained within the platform but don't care much for contributing.

fatgurl

ARMY
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Maybe they just don't have anything to say sometimes.
And as said before anxiety about sharing their thoughts, which is understandable.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All depends on communication style. Some people prefer one on one. Many lurkers engage in very in-depth DM conversations etc. Or they use discord, because they prefer a live environment over forum posting. I can also totally get anxiety now-a-days as a reason to not post. Due to an increase in intolerance from people in general, pushing for a sterile environment. So more provocative people who don't want to make waves keep to themselves.

nilox

Yeah I think anxiety is one of my bigger reason.. :( I wonder if that's actually a good thing or bad thing sometimes..

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
@RadicalDoubt and @тень , I see your MBTI as TiSi and TiNi, what does that mean? I thought it was usually I followed by E.. :O Is this something new?
Well, this just means our types are not exactly by the book, and requires more in-depth analysis of MBTI theory to really get (it is incomplete after all). But you can start by looking up jumper type, or "loop theory". I technically type as an ISTP, but I don't express Se. Thus I put down Ti-Ni to show my jump.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
@RadicalDoubt and @тень , I see your MBTI as TiSi and TiNi, what does that mean? I thought it was usually I followed by E.. :O Is this something new?
Ditto to what Tehb says (I technically go as INTP myself). I definitely show and utilize Ne, but seem to lean more heavily on Si in a neurotic sort of fashion. Mbti is a pretty inconsistent theory with an excessive number of versions, so I typically go with a modified version of the popularized version of it (in that there are valued functions that pair with one another, but some level of stack flexibility greater than the usual; The Objective Personality System of mbti is another thing you can look into for "jumper types" being an allowed preference (even though that theory has a way to go developmentally), I think the original jungian theory also stacked IIEE/EEII (in terms of function extro/introversion)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
IDK just cuz that's what they prefer probably

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sometimes lurking is just easier and there's nothing worth writing

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
In addition to what has been posted, some people have nothing better to do besides using it as materials for gossip. Just being realistic.

Last edited:

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
In addition to what has been posted, some people have nothing better to do besides using it as materials for gossip. Just being realistic.
Someone once copy/pasted an old signature I had deleted ages ago, but they used it in a mocking way. The only way they could've still had it was if they used it to talk about me behind my back. Just one example. I think those kinds of people are ultimately the minority, and they don't matter. It's just people being petty no-lifes. My point is, I'm not just being skeptical or paranoid about others or suspecting all these different people around me or whatever. I'm saying this based on actual, proven occurrences.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whenever I have something to say on a forum, I just say it. It's really easy for me, personally. Especially online, where I seem to lack a filter.

I lurk when I'm trying to gain information but don't have anything new to contribute. Despite that, I do always try to contribute, even if I'm just reacting to people's posts, or letting them know in some way how much I agree with them.

All in all, it just depends on people's comfort levels, or as some have posted above me, their engagement styles. Different strokes for different folks.

Muladara

MBTI Type
FIRE
Enneagram
AIR
Some are only looking for information so they lurk, others look for information and interaction so they post.
Then you have those who would want to post but don't for many different reasons. (anxiety being the most common reason for this)
Last but not least the ones who sometimes post and sometimes lurk, they can have many different reasons too.
I do both. When I just need an information about something I lurk, when I want to share an opinion, contribute to a discussion, ask something, find something interesting/funny I'd like to share then I post.