• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are people judgmental?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Judgement: why is it that we can’t help it?

This is excellent sage advise. Whether you are theist or non-theist. It’s morals, ethics and display of character.

The Old Testament says, “Judgment is mine sayeth the lord.”

The New Testament says, “Judge not lest you be judged.”

Do you walk your talk? Do you practice what you preach?

Do you take self- responsibility for your own thoughts, feelings, speech, writing and actions?

Or do you blame reality, situation or people for your own feelings?

“It is an undisciplined mind that reacts and acts outwardly with judgment in their actions. I am responsible for my thoughts, feelings, speech, writing and actions.

We are a projective species. For those unaware of this fact, they are more easily fooled into judging what they don’t understand. First we all are a product of our times and the culture we grow in.

We all have societal, parental, and peer expectations, norms, mores, ideals and values. They get stored in our unconscious in the form of our cognitive schemas.

It has been shown by scientists that before a person makes a conscious choice, decision or action, it has already been decided at the unconscious level.

People not cognizant that it our unconscious that rules our lives are less likely to discipline their minds with mindfulness and attention to their automatic thoughts.

I’ve seen theists who are judgmental and non-theists. It is unfortunate that those who hold to a loving, fair, just, fair and kind God and universe are actually unconsciously more judgmental.

‘Belief in a just world’

M.J. Lerner studied the tendency of individuals to believe in a just world. In a just world, good things would happen to good people, and bad things would happen to bad people,

Much of the research into belief in a just world (BJW) centers around developing measures that indicate the degree to which an individual believes in a just world.

A strong belief in a just world increase the likelihood of “blaming the victim” since such a world view denied the possibility of innocent victims.” Source: GRE: Graduate Record Examination, Subject Test: Psychology, 2016

Buddhism advocated mindfulness.

CBT: cognitive behavior therapy has identified the 10 cognitive distortions in the human thought process.

REBT: rational emotive behavior therapy has identified 11 irrational beliefs in the unconscious.

According to these cognitive theorists in psychology all negative thoughts have distortions. This is true unless the person is in a fight or flight situation or os in extreme physical pain.

People not cognizant of these thought distortions mistakenly can blame the situation, reality or other people for their negative emotions.

They would be in extreme error. They are as noise pollution venting and projecting their own unconscious conflicts, unresolved issues, emotional baggage and unhealed psychic wound.

1. They are triggered.

2. They are projecting.

3. If negative then they are under the influence of thought distortions. This is unequivocal.

4. They are venting and projecting their own unfinished business, unresolved unconscious conflicts, emotional baggage, and unhealed psychic wound.

5. They are not being responsible for their own thoughts, feelings, speech, writing or actions.” LightSun

#psychology #mindfulness #judgment -#unconscious #cbt #rebt #selfresponsibility #projecting #triggered

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sometimes it's because they have nothing better to do.

Unfortunately, rather than find something better to do, they'll expend great amounts of energy and effort into trying to ruin other people's lives. Lately I have been amazed at the lengths people will go to to do this. Why do they give that much of a fuck?

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
You're just trying to pathologise Introverted Feeling because you have irrational belief that people shouldn't have negative emotions.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What the hell? Stop getting so defensive about Introverted Feeling. You guys aren't that deep and special; it's like so annoying.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
What the hell? Stop getting so defensive about Introverted Feeling. You guys aren't that deep and special; it's like so annoying.
It's just another dumb thread from the series of "everyone should just use my dominant function" like this one:
Except that this time by a mistyped INTP instead of an ESFP.

WOW, IT'S SO NICE THAT YOU'VE LET ME KNOW IT. YES, I'LL JUST CHANGE MY TYPE AND WILL CHANGE WHAT ENERGIZES ME AND DRAINS ME BECAUSE YOU FIND IT ANNOYING. I'LL PICK A NEW TYPE FROM A TYPE TREE.

I've spent plenty of time developing my thinking and sensing. It's draining to use and sensing usually needs support of feeling as energy source.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You're just trying to pathologise Introverted Feeling because you have irrational belief that people shouldn't have negative emotions.
I come from a psychology background. No it’s not an opinion. in CBT: cognitive behavior therapy, it stipulates that every negative emotion have cognitive distortions in the thought process.

the amendment is if someone is in great physical pain or in a fight or flight situation. Only then is negative emotions not irrational.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Judgement: why is it that we can’t help it?

This is excellent sage advise. Whether you are theist or non-theist. It’s morals, ethics and display of character.

The Old Testament says, “Judgment is mine sayeth the lord.”

The New Testament says, “Judge not lest you be judged.” [...snipped]
Of course we all have to make routine judgments...

I'm not saying that the OP is wrong necessarily. Everything depends on context. But just to put the idea of "judging" into perspective...

We all make judgments all day long. Thinking and Feeling are judging functions. For example, when deciding what to do during my day, I judge tasks and errands according to priority. I judge some tasks to be more urgent, so they move to the top of the list. I judge foods according to whether they are healthy or unhealthy, expensive or inexpensive, good- or bad-tasting, and I choose my meals accordingly.

I also judge people in much the same manner. Some people in my life are more trustworthy, whereas some are undependable. Some tell me the truth at all times, whereas others lie occasionally. I judge them accordingly. Some of my family, friends, and acquaintances are good at sports and physical activities, whereas others are good at more intellectual pursuits. So I judge them accordingly and call upon them for help (or not) accordingly.

It's part of accountability. We're all accountable for our words and actions, and we all judge each other according to how well our words and actions measure up to reasonable cultural standards. If an acquaintance never pays back loans and debts, then I judge them accordingly and avoid lending them money. If a friend is always late for appointments, I judge them accordingly and I don't include them on any plans requiring punctuality.

Obviously I shouldn't make judgments about people if I am super-stressed or suffering from cognitive dissonance or a personality disorder or whatever. Someone who is in an extreme mental state or in a paranoid or schizophrenic state or whatever is obviously not going to be a good judge of reality. Too much projection.

But most people have a pretty reasonable grasp of reality and can see things more or less objectively and judge accordingly. So judgment (of people, of things, of reality) is a normal thing that most people can and should do.

Last edited:

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Judgment as a word as been maligned and abused. That’s why I prefer critical thinking and judicious discernment to be used. To judge is easy. To understand is hard.

That is why people fall into judgment little realizing they are projecting their internal belief system unto other people and situations.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Mental laziness, aka not thinking critically; low empathy; inexperience (things look easier than they are in reality sometimes, aka "easier said than done"); their personal values are violated; they project; they reject what they dislike about their own selves (they only unconsciously recognize the similarity) - aka they judge others because they judge their own selves, in that case, which ties in with not knowing how to change, and sometimes ties in with low self-awareness; arrogance; placing value on people according to stupid things like status.......

there are many other reasons.

Last edited:

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
"""inexperience (things look easier than they are in reality sometimes, aka "easier said than done")"""
To OP: if you want a biblical version of this..."The sluggard is wiser in his own conceit than seven men that can render a reason."
I hate religion but there are parts of the Bible I do agree with.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“For those who don’t believe, ridiculing those that do accomplishes nothing. I am so weary of theists bashing non-theists and non-theists bashing theists. For those who judge you only spread hate and intolerance.

For those who point fingers or judge, it is a sign of an immature ego. Both are blinded with ego. Both believe what they do because it’s part of their belief system. We only have the right and duty to grow and evolve on our own life path. We don’t have a right to change others.

As long as we are pointing fingers at people who don’t believe as we do, we will never accomplish anything. Those who bash others are part of the problem. They continue to create divides against others of dissimilar beliefs.

For those who fall into this trap of judgment and bashing, to me they are immature psychologically, emotionally and spiritually.

What’s more those people who do this behavior of judgment and negative bashing, you will never grow or evolve. You will remain in your own closed and limited boxed universe.

I’ve said I don’t care what a person believes or does not believe. Rather do you walk your talk? Do you practice what you preach? Do you have positive energy or are you blinded by your own understanding of reality and refusing to see things from another’s perspective?

On my own path I seek to be tolerant and respectful of others beliefs. I focus on commonalities so that we together can work toward a brighter future.

For those who blame religion for the worlds problems, you are misguided. It would not matter if we had religion or didn’t have religion. We’d still do evil.

As for those who claim to be Christians and yet you judge, don’t turn the cheek, don’t even respect your neighbor much less love them, your actions don’t coincide with what you claim to believe in.” LightSun

yeghor

Everyone has a different set of personality and preferred values. Some of these are incompatible with those of others. So judgmentalism is inevitable. One cannot be accepting of all sorts of demeanor.

They will be less tolerant (and most judgmental) of behaviour represented by their inferior function.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.” Albert Einstein

“The wise saying is, “Those that understand, do not judge. Those who judge do not understand.” The cognitive trap is a person is projecting their own reality and experience.

Not knowing that the other person has a different childhood, and has different genetic predispositions.

I have a saying that every thing happens for a reason. I refrain from judging others with negative subjective name calling and judgement.

Now of people break the law or invade your boundaries then by all means hold them accountable.” LightSun