• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Which defense mechanisms do you use?

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
@ Rouskyrie:

Haha, no. I don't not like Enneagram because I hate it, though. It's just I find it very hard to understand and I don't like how people correlate it with MBTI. MBTI has a little scientific basis, or at least seems like it, so at least I can relate it to something a tiny bit tangible. I'm not sure what enneagram is trying to tell me that MBTI can't. (I tend to think of MBTI as an all-encompassing system that can fit nearly anything if you wanted it to...)

I know it seems simple, I just can't wrap my mind around it.

Also, I was trying to be funny by pointing out my ignorance. I wasn't trying to jack the thread, sorry about that.

Mbti is more how you process information. Enneagram is more how you deal with the world. True, enneagram is not as scientific as MBTI, but I find Enneagram focuses more on the actual "personality".

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh. The reason I was here...

9: Narcotization
7: Rationalization
2: Repression

Nowadays, Narcotization is my main mechanism.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I definitely tend to rationalize things first and foremost. It gets me through a lot. When that fails and I still find myself in a funk, then I revert to my imaginations and stay there till the outside world is safe enough to venture out again. It's absolutely not productive externally, but shoot, it works like a charm in getting my internal state back on an even keel. I mentioned in another thread that I tend to lick my wounds and escape to protect my emotional stability, and that's what I'm doing when I escape.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp

Introjection > Isolation > Narcotization > Identification > Reaction formation > Rationalization > Repression > Projection > Denial

I think.

Last edited:

Rouskyrie

Introjection > Isolation > Narcotization > Identification > Reaction formation Rationalization > Repression > Projection > Denial

I think.

It's interesting to me that the first three in your ranking apply to your tritype in reverse order. :p 9w8 - 5w6 - 4w5, perhaps?

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't use any of those defense mechanisms. The main one I do use is introverting. I withdraw into myself to avoid getting judged unfavorably.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I usually make jokes and use sarcasm, but I really feel bitter inside, sometimes I think the more I am bitter and afraid the more I make jokes..
Some situations are not to joke about because I am being let down, which happens all the time, I'm currently out of defense mechanism, I don't feel appreciated, I feel worthless, I don't feel loved, I don't remember ever feeling loved, I don't know how to deal with extremely offensive and non considerate arguments without being perceived as defensive or angry, or feeling like a victim, I just go to my 4 shell and try to escape this world, sooth myself, cry a little bit, I honestly don't know what else to do..

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Intellectualization

I would like to think I utilize most of the "mature" level 4 defense mechanisms at this point in my life - more often than not, at least. That's not to say I still don't fall back upon intellectualization at times.

Overall, I let a lot go. I feel so much lighter, these days. Carrying so much baggage was exhausting.

Defence mechanisms; Level 4

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
God... looked at the list... "Isolation" leapt right out at me, seems to be my preferred method of choice of dealing with stuff I can't change and don't feel like dealing with. Basically if I keep an "empty buffer" around myself, I can examine myself better and have time to figure out what to do... and avoid threats or impositions that I'm not sure how to deal with if they'd come at me.

Denial, Rationalization, and similar haven't really been things I've had trouble with because it would mean denying something I already know. (Honestly, there's no real reason to isolate oneself, if you can pretend that something does not actually exist or that there's another way to sidestep it.) I also even have trouble understanding Introjection or Identification, they are kind of antithetical for the "survival of me" AKA my identity. I do try to find connections between things, but it's kind of a pragmatic conscious drive -- like I will consciously learn from what I see and experience around me, to make myself stronger as a person. But it's not compulsive or unconscious.

I did struggle with Narcotization for a time definitely with physical substances; and I'm still consciously aware that I can use food or entertainment as a form of temporary gratification to deal with feelings of futility.

"Repression" -- when I was young. I was raised by a really strong Two and then married to a Two for some years. So I am pretty familiar with this. I can't say I repressed (definitely not in the same way these two people have), but one thing I did when young was dismiss emotion. I was very aware of it, i just intellectually labeled it as fickle and temporary. I've reached a different understanding of emotions since then.

"Reaction formation" -- about the only things I can think of in this regard is some counterphobic behavior (like with spiders or perhaps grappling with works of meaningless/nihilism as a way to not be swallowed by emptiness, the lack of meaning in a vacuum isn't something the mind can understand). Mainly it's in the area of "fear" -- if I'm afraid of something, I try to study and explore it so that I can overcome it and no longer feel threatened.

Defence mechanisms - Wikipedia

Intellectualization

I would like to think I utilize most of the "mature" level 4 defense mechanisms at this point in my life - more often than not, at least. That's not to say I still don't fall back upon intellectualization at times.

I can identify with that. Sometimes it helps to kind of "bleed out" the emotional stress and just look at the rational and practical aspects of a problem. For me it's pretty conscious when I do it now and I'm aware I'm not addressing the emotions; I'm just postponing it so I can function until I get to a place where it's safe to look at them in more depth. I don't really like to just let random emotions spring out and catch me off-guard, I still do keep an eye on them.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can identify with that. Sometimes it helps to kind of "bleed out" the emotional stress and just look at the rational and practical aspects of a problem. For me it's pretty conscious when I do it now and I'm aware I'm not addressing the emotions; I'm just postponing it so I can function until I get to a place where it's safe to look at them in more depth. I don't really like to just let random emotions spring out and catch me off-guard, I still do keep an eye on them.

That actually sounds a bit more like one of the healthier defense mechanisms: "suppression."

Suppression: The conscious decision to delay paying attention to a thought, emotion, or need in order to cope with the present reality; making it possible later to access uncomfortable or distressing emotions whilst accepting them.

Seems like a fine line between that & intellectualization, though. I guess with the latter, one doesn't attempt to process their feelings at a later point in time. They just keep avoiding connection through logic. The definitions & terms sound backward to me, for some reason. Perhaps due to the more common negative associations with the word, "suppress," & vice versa with regard to "intellectual."

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whats the defense mechanism where you makes a joke out of it and not take it seriously to move past it? Because thats what I use.

Life is too short to get anxious over the little stuff.

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
It's interesting to me that the first three in your ranking apply to your tritype in reverse order. :p 9w8 - 5w6 - 4w5, perhaps?

Yes, I saw that too and was trying very hard not to let my perceptions (and doubts) of my tritype color my listing. Pretty sure I'm more 9w1 than 9w8 though. ;)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type 1 - Reaction Formation
I don't typically act out, but in extreme cases I might be able to do this one inside my head.

Type 2 - Repression
I'm not inclined that much towards repression, because I do express emotions readily in private and in creative endeavors. I work to say it all.

Type 3 - Identification
This one I might do. I've experienced something akin to Stockholm Syndrome in relationship to people I care about. This might be different from the exact definition here, but I tend to identify with the loved one doing harm and try too hard to understand how they reached that point, so that I can actually understand it.

Type 4 - Introjection
Yes, this has happened from my training which was so harsh that I will hear critical voices from it, but I work to dismiss them.

Type 5 - Isolation
I don't do this mentally, but I do it concretely. I constantly seek to escape negative environments, have run away from many scenarios in my life, and retreat to absolute silence of nature on a regular basis. This external concrete separation does in some ways facilitate an internal, mental separation. However, I do not compartmentalize as well as the average person, but instead experience everything in a big stew all the time.

Type 6 - Projection
When I was young I did a reverse projection where I thought everyone was innocent in their motivations and would internalize my anger towards myself for no explicable reason instead of being angry at them. I was actually the one with the innocent motivations at that time. Now I get angry where anger is deserved.

Type 7 - Rationalization
I am capable of doing this because I can construct logical reasoning. I continually work internally in opposition to this because I have a strong desire to know the truth about reality, so I can best deal with it.

Type 8 - Denial
I have done this in personal relationships where I cared for someone doing harm. It took metal songs and whisky to snap me out of it.

Type 9 - Narcotization
I looked this one up, and can identify with feelings of overwhelm and doom, with that sense that nothing can be done, but I don't get stuck in that state.

Edit: I must say that the last one could be a good name for a band.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
While introjection is clearly the dominant one for me, and one of the clearest markers of my type, reaction formation is up there almost equal with it. The big difference is that the habit of reaction formation kicked in at a much later age than did introjection, around college when I did a very rigid 180 on how I treated my emotions. Now I'm at a point where while I know that hell would not be unleashed if I let up on forcing through them all the time and considered my desires alongside what's "correct", it's like muscle memory and to let go takes more effort than to continue self-controlling.

[MENTION=14857]labyrinthine[/MENTION], your explanation of reverse projection also resonates. I was just the other day frustrated about how subconscious this is and as such difficult to work on, still struggling to even be aware of the feeling of anger if it is not first pointed at myself. Also the inclination to see innocence in the motivations of others in contrast. If you don't mind saying more about this, what helped you get to the point where you are at today, where you feel anger at where it is due?

Yes, there are definitely times when anger with oneself makes sense, but not noticing it anywhere else, and feeling it at oneself when in situations where another person is treating me objectively poorly (as will be seen in hindsight) is what can't be right.

Other ones that stand out to me are 7's rationalization - I notice my mind attempting to rationalize anxiety-related habits almost constantly and it more than annoys me - and 9's narcotization, which is the best explanation for all the time I waste scrolling through feeds and posts online. That is another thing I notice myself turning to when I don't want to be aware of physical tension.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
often - narcotization > reaction formation
sometimes - rationalization > isolation > repression > introjection
rarely - projection > denial

As a Nine my primary defense mechanism is probably narcotization. I tend to tune out my anger more than other negative feelings, but sometimes when my anxiety or sadness get too intense I also start feeling numb and burnt out. It's usually involuntary and I sometimes get frustrated at myself when I want to fully experience my emotions but can't. On occasion, though, I intentionally tune out negative feelings by getting really absorbed in external tasks. (Which isn't always a bad thing, depending on the importance of the task and how long I end up avoiding my feelings.)

I sometimes use reaction formation in response to feelings I find shameful. I also try to rationalize some of my more selfish behaviors and motivations, but it usually doesn't work and I end up with more cognitive dissonance than before.

I rarely use denial - when I get overwhelmed by a problem, I'm more likely to start deadening my emotional reaction to it instead of refusing to acknowledge the problem exists. I also don't think I use projection much, as I'm much more focused on my own flaws than with finding them in others.

cosmictone

Vagrant Terranaut
MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My defense is to ignore and avoid, because there's no telling what I'll do in a confrontation. My instinct is to become physically and verbally aggressive. It's like the angrier I get the more active I become. (If only I could be 30% more angry in general and knew how to channel that anger into work.)

So repression, isolation, denial, narcotization.
Whatever way I can extract myself from the situation mentally, physically, and/or emotionally.

I think I use projection and introjection, too. And rationalization.
Isn't identification basically introjection?

Sandman

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I find it odd that 3s have identification, I would have assumed that compensation fits more. I'll look up the reasoning for that...

I use reaction formation and denial the most. They usually result from reality or moral anxiety (I don't recall experiencing much neurotic anxiety). The denial tends to mix with rationalization. In those cases, it's not so much a matter of recognizing as much as it is recognizing that it is something I care about. Denial of guilt and regret is a large one, unfortunately, both to self and other.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I've been acused of denial before, but that's just bullshit.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm good enough at denial that I can sometimes even fool myself