• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When the pandemic ends: Where do we go from here?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
There will be more pandemics soon and they’re going to be coming with greater frequency. This is the new normal

Probably. Now that much of the permafrost is melting, scientists are also predicting new and exciting sicknesses we've never seen before.

The permafrost pandemic: could the melting Arctic release a deadly disease? - Unearthed

Of course that doesn't matter when you take this question to mean - what am I doing after the pandemic? Apparently something on the level of gong to Applebee's is a legit answer smh.

Lark

I'm going to Ireland, though Croatia might be a cooler destination.

I definitely think you should go to Croatia.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably. Now that much of the permafrost is melting, scientists are also predicting new and exciting sicknesses we've never seen before.

The permafrost pandemic: could the melting Arctic release a deadly disease? - Unearthed

Of course that doesn't matter when you take this question to mean - what am I doing after the pandemic? Apparently something on the level of gong to Applebee's is a legit answer smh.

I have wondered from time to time if the current pandemic is really "pandemic lite" and a sort of stage rehearsal for something much worse.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I am in no hurry to return to business as usual. I rather enjoy the lockdown and social distancing.
I'm glad you're doing well. Sadly, millions of your fellow humans are not. Masking and social distancing have an enormous, unquantifiable cost. I don't need much social interaction for an extrovert and the lockdown was kind of nice at first, but the longer this goes on the more I feel like I'm drifting away, losing my connection with the rest of humanity. I have an 18-month old who hasn't seen a maskless adult who isn't family for nearly a year. To say I'm worried what this will do to his social development is an understatement.

Mole

Permabanned
We escaped from Europe with Brexit, and we are preparing our escape from the USA with CANZUK.

One escape might be a mistake, but two escapes are careless, a careless rapture.

Mole

Permabanned
Left behind.

Some of us will be left behind in Europe, and some will be left behind in the USA, while we will cut our heart on the high seas.

All we need is freedom to trade and freedom to move on the high seas. Oz, Canuck, Kiwi, and Limey, setting sail together.

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm in absolute agreement about this.

I know that there's a lot of bad stuff comes up any time anyone mentions the whole acceleration idea because its riddled with conspiracy theory and racism but I do think there's a lot that did get implemented in a hurry that otherwise would have been a dreadfully long time coming otherwise. There's a lot of things I think should be maintained and even become normative, social distancing is just one, I hate "space invaders" at the best of times. Some of the travel, even in a small place like where I live, for meetings which could have been e-mails etc. was and is ridiculous.
In many ways, I'm disappointed by the changes that haven't been implemented. Even now, we have a golden opportunity to completely rethink and redesign public education but it's getting pissed away because a bunch of Boomers in various teachers unions don't actually want meaningful change.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There will be more pandemics soon and they’re going to be coming with greater frequency. This is the new normal
Science has moved forward during this time and is developing ways to identify viruses with more specificity. The coordination of the scientific community during the pandemic has been nearly unprecedented which has sped up medical progress. We are moving into new territory in many ways, so it is difficult to predict, but I do think science is the game changer. As long as it remaines empowered and not stifled, it will find and implement answers.

Also remember there was the 1918 pandemic that killed millions of people, then it receded, and became the yearly flu for which we get our shots at the drug store and grew up without much concern of it. That was natural process and science hadn't even identified viruses at that point.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Science has moved forward during this time and is developing ways to identify viruses with more specificity. The coordination of the scientific community during the pandemic has been nearly unprecedented which has sped up medical progress. We are moving into new territory in many ways, so it is difficult to predict, but I do think science is the game changer. As long as it remaines empowered and not stifled, it will find and implement answers.

Also remember there was the 1918 pandemic that killed millions of people, then it receded, and became the yearly flu for which we get our shots at the drug store and grew up without much concern of it. That was natural process and science hadn't even identified viruses at that point.

Yeah but we’re seeing melting permafrost and increasing global temperatures. Perfect conditions for deadly viruses to develop and thrive

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yeah but we’re seeing melting permafrost and increasing global temperatures. Perfect conditions for deadly viruses to develop and thrive

Generally true, but the benefit of current mess is that counter-measures will get more sophisticated. Especially since the main counter isn't really medicine but stuff like closing borders, having your own supply, having a proper mindset .... etc.