• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When films and books take artisitc liberty with History

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just watched Hidden Figures. I wasn't super familiar with these women, although I was aware there were women computers in the early days of NASA (as most human computers were female in those days). Overall I found it to be entertaining and it seemed like a good companion piece to films like The Right Stuff.

However, after doing some more research I was a little disappointed to find the film had taken some artistic liberties with historical events. This is pretty common in historical dramas, often understandably, as it can be difficult to create a compelling narrative with the actual sequence of events, or in some cases we simply don't have the most accurate account of events, so we have to fill in the blanks--a good example of the latter would be in The Perfect Storm, since no one would've been there when the boat capsized. In the film the fishermen are portrayed as having a few seconds of dignity before their demise. Of course in reality, it was probably pitch black with freezing water in those final moments, and there would have been a lot of screaming, pain and fear in those final moments, but then that doesn't really make for a very "Hollywood" ending.

I'll post some more examples of historical inaccuracies as I think of them. Feel free to share your own, and links to videos are welcome.

The show Turn is about a cabbage farmer turned colonial spy during the American Revolutionary War. It’s taken quite a bit of liberties (ugh unintended pun) with actual history but I think if you go into the series knowing that it is decent drama and it may prompt people to read actual accounts of the historical setting. I was recently reading about the real life Robert Rogers whose portrayed in the series as a sociopathic masochist, which makes for a fun character but isn’t a realistic profile of him. Still the show has been fairly entertaining and I think that’s it’s ultimate goal. If it generates interest in the real thing why not?

Overall if I know things have been changed in a historical account for a bit of drama I’ll read up on or watch documentaries about the event to get real perspective.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You mean Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter isn't an accurate retelling of historical events? I think it's funny that both North and South deny the real reason for the civil war: vampires.