• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your opinion on collections?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
What is everyone's opinion on collecting things? Do you care if it's complete or do you have to have every single thing that makes up the collection? Or do you think people who collect things are secretly serial killers?

Lark

I love them, I have a few myself, mainly books as I have limited space for more besides but I love to see them online and stuff.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not particularly precise and dogmatic about anything, so don't necessarily care about having every single thing in a collection. I sort of end up with collections becuase i like certain things so much. I have a dance costume collection by accident and a musical instrument collection.

I can kinda understand intellectually the more proper collector mindset that does have a perfectionism about it in which they want every item or only the pristine versions and so forth. It is a control over reality thing, but a rather benign one.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What is everyone's opinion on collecting things? Do you care if it's complete or do you have to have every single thing that makes up the collection? Or do you think people who collect things are secretly serial killers?

I collect cookbooks. I don't know if I need every single thing in that category though. Naturally I have things like Escoffier (one in French and one in English), early edition of The Joy Of Cooking and The Edna Lewis Cookbook to name a few. I also love niche cookbooks so I keep many on my Amazon list when my mom or husband is looking for ideas.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm not particularly precise and dogmatic about anything, so don't necessarily care about having every single thing in a collection. I sort of end up with collections becuase i like certain things so much. I have a dance costume collection by accident and a musical instrument collection.

I can kinda understand intellectually the more proper collector mindset that does have a perfectionism about it in which they want every item or only the pristine versions and so forth. It is a control over reality thing, but a rather benign one.

my mom collects dishes and she has to have the complete set, and that's true for anything she collects. me i'm like if i have a use for it i want it but i don't really have consicous collections

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Mmmm, I can see why it appeals to people, but I see it as a slight waste as money. That's not to say I don't collect anything-I have my coins. I'm not into it full force like I used to be as a kid, but I still have them and like to look out for them. They're little tokens of history and culture, that can pop up at random times. Then again, I don't really buy them anymore, but yeah. It's collections without a practical purpose and that cost money are what make me go, "Nah thanks." I love having merch, but I'm not going to blow my salary just to get every single part of it, it's frivolous. I get the appeal though, not wanting an empty set and wanted something limited edition or something that's a ComicCon exclusive. That I can see paying for, but I'll live without having every single character in my lobby. If I could that would make me really happy actually, make me feel more immersed in the show, but I just can't see shelling out the money for it. Now if it's say, a collection of accessories from a designer you like, I can jive with that 100%. Even then my 4 fix is like, "Hey, look at you, collecting a popular brand-not very original there. What if someone has the same necklace as you?". That(probably) won't stop me from buying it, but the thought crosses my mind. A perk of collecting though-waiting it to get older and making more $$$ in return.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’m not overly sentimental, so usually I may collect a few things in a given category, then sell or give them away when I get bored with them and have moved on to another thing to collect

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not overly sentimental, so usually I may collect a few things in a given category, then sell or give them away when I get bored with them and have moved on to another thing to collect

Mostly this for as well. I don't really collect per se, but I will keep certain things that may serve to be useful to me later on in a practical sense, but nostalgia momentos and stuff like that? Nah, I'll pass.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mostly this for as well. I don't really collect per se, but I will keep certain things that may serve to be useful to me later on in a practical sense, but nostalgia momentos and stuff like that? Nah, I'll pass.

yup. I do collect useless trivia though.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am at a loss for what to start collecting next.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mostly collect tcg and rocks. lol

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have pretty strong hording tendencies so I specifically go out of my way not to collect things. I often find it to be a waste of money and space, though that's a bit hypocritical of me probably. I've seen a lot of really unhealthy habits form out of trying to generate large collections (card collection in particular), but there's nothing wrong with collecting things I guess if you're into that.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really go out of my way to collect anything. I tried briefly to create a record collection of my own, but that turned out to be a pricey hobby so I've since then stopped. Maybe I'll get back to it eventually, if things can get financially very comfortable for myself. For me personally, I don't see the point in making collections. I'm a sentimental person, yes, but I'm pretty selective about what gives me those sort of "feelings," and it's not very many tangible objects that do.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I might go to a fun route on my holiday to see the people's collections in that area. Somone might have collected rocks. Someone might have collected statues. There are differences to the collections. Not all the collections are the same.

cristian354

Enneagram
muszę codziennie jeść kolację bez kolacji nie pójdę spać nie pójdę spać głodny a jak pójdę się obudzę