• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type of feminist are you?

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Sorry, they're using the wrong definition of feminism for me to feel represented by that quiz. None of the six categories spoke to me.

I took the quiz just for fun, because I'm way to far from the US to care or understand well the percentages shown. But I agree that my definition of feminism, based in the 1920s revolution, is way simpler (basic) and "egalitarian".

In my opinion, women have to focus on big changes, like succesfully stopping ablations, or allow women to have free speech regardless of their religion. For a better understanding, I want to share what happens in my country (Argentina). The simplest things of life have changed. In Spanish, nouns have gender, though not all of them, and the plural for a group who includes both genders is masculine. Now, not anymore. Unisex nouns have now a feminine version, and if you want to use the plural, you have to say "the (nouns for females) and (noun for males)...". In public universities there are classes occupied by girls who bring boys (and some willingly go) to humiliate them and tell them how evil their gender has been with women since the beginning. That, among other little crazy stuff, like feminist women not wanting to walk inside/out of a building when men open the door for them because they say that "chivalry" was invented by men to look at women's asses.

I don't say that throughout history men haven't lived better lives than women, having more liberties, etc. But going to the extreme of thinking that a language is denigrating a gender and women should be offended, it's a little bit too much. I believe that all people should be treated equally, regardless of their gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc (I don't believe "race" is even a term). We're all human, and that's what counts for me. Women shoul stop thinking that because men held the whip for 5000 years, now it's our turn. And I know the power women have when hysteric. I really fear for men.

So, a "feminist" who wants all women to be treated with respect, yes. "Feminist" who wants to punish, no.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Nothing. My beef is with the people who believe they're speaking for a majority of women when they're not.

Because I live in a country with the same dominant culture and ethnic group as the U.S., we can accurately infer the same phenomena occur in both countries within reason. Again I just don't feel you see the world the same way as I do...see my signature.
No, totally understandable, most women aren't necessarily feminists or support the concept of it. I can to some degree understand the hesitation towards it especially in the West, so I didn't mean to sound like I was challenging your views in any way. I was just curious as to your thoughts.

This quiz kinda sucks anyway...a "certainly not" feminist is obviously not a feminist lol...

jixmixfix

Permabanned
No, totally understandable, most women aren't necessarily feminists or support the concept of it. I can to some degree understand the hesitation towards it especially in the West, so I didn't mean to sound like I was challenging your views in any way. I was just curious as to your thoughts.

This quiz kinda sucks anyway...a "certainly not" feminist is obviously not a feminist lol...

Most women don't call themselves feminists but support the concepts.Calling yourself a feminist would reveal too much.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't say that throughout history men haven't lived better lives than women, having more liberties, etc. But going to the extreme of thinking that a language is denigrating a gender and women should be offended, it's a little bit too much. I believe that all people should be treated equally, regardless of their gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc (I don't believe "race" is even a term). We're all human, and that's what counts for me. Women shoul stop thinking that because men held the whip for 5000 years, now it's our turn.

Agreed. I find it so hypocritical when people express misandrist views while decrying misogyny. Feminism should be about eliminating the gender hierarchy so that women are regarded as full human beings along with men, not reversing the hierarchy so that men are seen as inferior.

I think it's definitely a minority of feminists who hold such unfair views toward men, but it's enough to be harmful by stirring up a 'battle of the sexes' mentality and fueling a cycle of hate that feeds misogyny with misandry and vice versa. It gives anti-feminists ammo to create negative stereotypes (aka straw feminists) based on the ignorant and extreme views of a minority within the movement, and then to denounce feminism in general based on that unfair generalization.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hilarious. You've got to hand it to feminism. Trying to expand its numbers by simply expanding its definition was pretty creative- and since kids these days are bandwagon morons it actually worked.

old.jpg

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got "Yes, but" feminist.

Which is true. Yes, I'm a feminist, but I think third-wave feminism victimizes women rather than empowering us.

Modern feminism isn't about encouraging women to be strong or ambitious. It's about protecting women from literally everything, including any type of social judgment. A woman can say she firmly believes that women should stay at home and not work, vote, or go to school, and modern feminists will praise her for expressing her opinion. It seems almost like a counter-feminist movement, honestly. It is so focused on all the things men "shouldn't" do- up to and including giving women completely mundane compliments -because it is "threatening" to women.
Shockingly, some conservatives do a better job of promoting social equality for women than the ultra-progressive SJWs do.

"What makes you dominant and me submissive?" -Megyn Kelly, Fox News journalist, to Erick Erickson during a debate on gender roles and family

"Women are not capable of defending themselves with death machines we call guns." -Senator Dianne Feinstein, democrat

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm a late 80s feminist. You were 10 years old in 1989. You irrationally identify with Martika, Jennifer Connelly, the conservative Christian movement, David Bowie, and Julie Dephy. You probably know all of David Lynchs films, listen to Tori Amos, saw Laura Dern in a recent film, and remember when Jared Leto was a man.

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
“Okay, sure” feminists
94% identify as feminist, but only 20% are strong ones. 87% have favorable views of feminism, and 51% say it has a good reputation. Like the “Hell, yeah” group, they are likely to say the feminist movement is focused on the changes they want, however, they are far less apt to have engaged in voting, contacting elected officials or posting online regarding women's issues. 22% of all women are “Okay, sure” feminists.

The people who are proud about not being feminists are the same people who are proud about being atheists. You're so boring. :laugh:

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
“No, but” feminists

This group is distinguished by the fact that none of them identifies as a feminist. 86% say they are not a feminist, and 5% say they are anti-feminist. But they are not the most hostile to feminism either. They largely support progressive policy positions, as do “Hell, yeah,” “okay, sure” and “yes, but” feminists. They are divided on whether the feminist movement is focused on the changes they want. They are more likely to view feminism as optimistic and empowering than outdated or angry, and a majority says the movement is still needed. 21% of all women are “No, but” feminists.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hooooh, I'd love to get into my opinions on all this here. XD It's been like the only thing people have talked about on forums for some time. XD

Basically, I answered "No opinion" to the are you a feminist question. I would've answered yes, but feminism these days has become about attacking art and shaming people, and I don't like that. There may have been a time when it was necessary to drum up support, but feminists have done that. A lot. The problem has been identified, in my estimation, and though some are in opposition, enough support it that they could try to give taking actual legal action to get feminist views implemented a shot. To me, that is far better than guilting people the way many do.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
“No, but” feminists

This group is distinguished by the fact that none of them identifies as a feminist. 86% say they are not a feminist, and 5% say they are anti-feminist. But they are not the most hostile to feminism either. They largely support progressive policy positions, as do “Hell, yeah,” “okay, sure” and “yes, but” feminists. They are divided on whether the feminist movement is focused on the changes they want. They are more likely to view feminism as optimistic and empowering than outdated or angry, and a majority says the movement is still needed. 21% of all women are “No, but” feminists.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Hell, yeah" feminists

This group has the most passionate views toward the feminist movement. 98% overall identify as a feminist, and 43% say they are a strong one. “Hell, yeah” feminists are the most politically active group and see a very active role for the government to play. They place a higher priority on getting women elected to office; 95% have voted for a candidate because of their stand on women's issues. Two-thirds say discrimination is the bigger thing keeping women back, the most of any group. 50% say there is a lot of discrimination against women today. 17% of all women are “Hell, yeah” feminists.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You are most similar to ...

“No, but” feminists

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A woman can say she firmly believes that women should stay at home and not work, vote, or go to school, and modern feminists will praise her for expressing her opinion.

I don't think that is modern feminism. The whole point of feminism seems to be about letting women choose whatever kind of lifestyle they prefer rather than box them into one role. I don't think modern feminists would praise any kind of "women should..." statements because people shouldn't have to live their lives a certain way because of their gender.

It is so focused on all the things men "shouldn't" do- up to and including giving women completely mundane compliments -because it is "threatening" to women.

Modern feminists don't think it's wrong for men to say "you look nice today" to a woman, but modern feminists do have a problem with men catcalling women.

To me it seems like you've had the misfortune of running into quite a few radical feminists, but I think most people who identify as feminist in this day & age don't align themselves with this kind of thinking. :D Even SJWs on Tumblr aren't bad like they're made out to be, but the troll accounts are sensationalized everywhere else because people take it seriously.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which is true. Yes, I'm a feminist, but I think third-wave feminism victimizes women rather than empowering us.

Modern feminism isn't about encouraging women to be strong or ambitious. It's about protecting women from literally everything, including any type of social judgment. A woman can say she firmly believes that women should stay at home and not work, vote, or go to school, and modern feminists will praise her for expressing her opinion. It seems almost like a counter-feminist movement, honestly. It is so focused on all the things men "shouldn't" do- up to and including giving women completely mundane compliments -because it is "threatening" to women.
Shockingly, some conservatives do a better job of promoting social equality for women than the ultra-progressive SJWs do.

I agree with this.

The people who are proud about not being feminists are the same people who are proud about being atheists. You're so boring. :laugh:

So not only do we insult those who refuse to call themselves feminists, but we insult atheists as well? :huh:

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I got "No, but".

Think I should have gotten "Okay, sure", since that's my usual attitude. I just assumed these days when an online test asks me if I'm a feminist, it means a pretty false caricature. The whole patriarchy means men are above women and men are to blame, neither of which are accurate caricatures of any feminist activity I've been involved in.

So not only do we insult those who refuse to call themselves feminists, but we insult atheists as well? :huh:

Pretty sure it's to do with taking pride in not being something.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty sure it's to do with taking pride in not being something.

Being atheist is not a negative. It is the belief no god exists, so its a positive. If they had said "agnostic" they might've had a point.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Being atheist is not a negative. It is the belief no god exists, so its a positive. If they had said "agnostic" they might've had a point.

That's just your semantics though. Most atheists actually don't identify as the strong variety, it's just meant as an absence of Theism (which is what the term means). They don't believe because there's no evidence, which is the same reason they don't believe in an infinite set of other things. That's similar, if not identical, to agnosticism.

However there are people who take agnosticism to mean 50/50 or just a higher degree of certainty about god/s than what we normally grant to a complete lack of evidence, which is why a lot of atheists avoid the term.

And yeah there are evidence of absence atheists, but even militant atheists like Dawkins don't identify as that.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think that is modern feminism. The whole point of feminism seems to be about letting women choose whatever kind of lifestyle they prefer rather than box them into one role. I don't think modern feminists would praise any kind of "women should..." statements because people shouldn't have to live their lives a certain way because of their gender.

Modern feminists don't think it's wrong for men to say "you look nice today" to a woman, but modern feminists do have a problem with men catcalling women.

To me it seems like you've had the misfortune of running into quite a few radical feminists, but I think most people who identify as feminist in this day & age don't align themselves with this kind of thinking. :D Even SJWs on Tumblr aren't bad like they're made out to be, but the troll accounts are sensationalized everywhere else because people take it seriously.

What [MENTION=26919]EliaBlack[/MENTION] said IS a part of feminism. Whether they are radfems or moderate, if they are self-labeling? They are a part of it. You cannot separate them no matter how much you want to make it look prettier.

Maybe you don't have to take the whole, on a personal level. I get that.

To each their own but negating those extreme voices as "we're not really like that" is a convenient way to not own the bad with the good. Especially, when it's so easy to find the bad/rad ones.

I would hope you mean, "I'm not like that" because that is all you can speak for.

My 2 cents.