• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Is Inhuman?

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We see humanity and what it's like to be human, but what would define something as less than human? Can it be applied to people? Can you say that a serial killer is inhuman? It's a dangerous slope to go down, because as soon as you can say an act makes someone less human, you open-up the floodgates to even darker thoughts.

What do you think?

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
We see humanity and what it's like to be human, but what would define something as less than human? Can it be applied to people? Can you say that a serial killer is inhuman? It's a dangerous slope to go down, because as soon as you can say an act makes someone less human, you open-up the floodgates to even darker thoughts.

What do you think?

Falcarius has no idea what being a human feels like being a dinosaur.:shrug:

Is a tiger evil? Is a sunflower evil? Is a one-day or year old baby evil? Is a monster evil? Is T-rex evil? Is a table evil? Is a frisbee evil? Is s boomerang evil? Is a ghost evil? Is a shark evil?

But Falcarius thinks evil is having the emotional intelligence and intellectual comprehension to know something is wrong and simultaneously processing moral bankruptcy to ignore them. Which is why he thinks none of the things he listed above are evil.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All things humans do, is human. It's just a cooler way of saying what is socially and morally unacceptable in a group. I also don't believe in good or evil.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
All things humans do, is human. It's just a cooler way of saying what is socially and morally unacceptable in a group. I also don't believe in good or evil.

But we believe in you...

parkalop

What do you think?

The way many of describe the term "inhumane" is more along the lines of what we describe as morally acceptable, but what we consider morally unacceptable is the foundation of the rules in which prevention of crime and atrocities is prevented. All of us have had a hidden dark desire to damage someone or at some point even for a passing moment to do something even worse that one shouldn't. Most of us process the world around us from a somewhat balanced sense of Self awareness and willful ignorance, it's what allows most of us to retrospect in our heads without breaking into the realm of existential nihilism or not even considering the thought. I would argue that our own thoughts are our own most terrifying assets both towards ourselves, The feeling of depression or nihilism could certainly lead to a state worst then death especially since people have taken their own lives due to it, or went mad. The prevention of a healthy ways to express operate with these desires is the true indication of Dehumanization, no I'm not advocating for murder.

Lark

What do you think?

I dont think so at all, in fact, this sounds like a rationalisation for the criminal behaviour of the serial killer which is itself the opening up of the floodgates to even darker thoughts.

There definitely are behaviours which are beyond the pale and which rightly no one in their right mind would consider to be acceptable, or humane, or a good example of humanity per se, not humanity at its best, or even at its worst, but humanity per se.

Being able to identify that unambiguously, to make not bones about it and invite no ambivalence about it, is really important. Shaming judgement rather than shaming crime just seems wrong/ill judged.

Lark

Really?

How's that going for you? I mean in your day to day life do you actually conform to this idea of there being no good or evil and how does that effect things with your friends, family or nearest and dearest?

I could imagine there being real serious consequences to amoralism and abandoning right and wrong as a form of groupthink. Maybe not for you. Would be interested to hear how it practically works out.

Lark

Dehumanization. Few things are as destructive and cruel.

Dehumanization - Wikipedia

I think it was Agatha Christie who had some quote about how people believed that evil was something super human when in reality it was less than human, ie subhuman, I like the quote but never remember it exactly.

Unfortunately, there are some people behave less than human, for some of them its more than a pattern of behaviour but a default state of being, I think its only right that they dont get to make their typical behaviour a societal norm.

Lark

Well we must define the definition of the essence of man. What does it mean to be human?

That's a good place to start.

BTW I hope everyone knows that posting edge lord stuff online about amorality and all right or wrong doing being groupthink is a flag/trigger phrase for the data miners and recruiters for shady types of things.

I mean, if all is group think, then its only a short distance to believing all that matters is the thinking of one particular group, your particular group, to which all is permitted. Could see it being the type of think Jim Jones or Charles Manson would have been on the look out for in potential supporters.

Then one day after enough trolling, trojans and too much time spent online you're out shooting up the neighbourhood another tool or useful idiot for the people who want to spread nothing but fear and instability in the world.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really?

How's that going for you? I mean in your day to day life do you actually conform to this idea of there being no good or evil and how does that effect things with your friends, family or nearest and dearest?

I could imagine there being real serious consequences to amoralism and abandoning right and wrong as a form of groupthink. Maybe not for you. Would be interested to hear how it practically works out.

It isn't "amoralism", just morals/values become subjective choices. Just like how you can be moral without god. You can be moral without good and evil. That is just how deep our social instincts go.

I take a stoic stance in terms of day to day life. And yes, I do conform to this belief as much as I can. It helps me accept people's flaws quite easily, rather than writing them off as "evil". It also helps me forgive people too. Even if people pronounce what they think is good and evil around me. The worst case senario is that I usually try to correct their black and white thinking. I don't go around teaching good and evil do not exist, or even bring it up in any convo, unless it specifically touches on the subject. Like this topic.

This coinsides with my belief that all humans are animals, and everything we do is rooted in that nature/rebelling against it. It makes perfect sense to me, and my frame work on predicting human actions. Even my own. Even being aware of it. Quite interesting, but probably uncomfortable for most. Because it is quite depressing.

Lark

It isn't "amoralism", just morals/values become subjective choices. Just like how you can be moral without god. You can be moral without good and evil. That is just how deep our social instincts go.

There is no equivalence between belief in God and belief in good or evil, it would like saying the temperature of water has some baring upon decisions about right and wrong.

It doesnt.

Can you explain to me how the subjectivism or relativism which you describe is not a dictionary definition of amoralism? You can pull up some dictionary definitions and wiki if you like, I can wait.

BTW I think we really should cut to the chase, if you want to claim that racial or group status has an exclusive and exclusionary subjective morality, therefore the races and other outgroups deemed to be inhuman by the master race have not moral rationale recourse or purchase upon said group go ahead. I just think or a non-racial version of Uber Mensch and Unter Mensch is so much adolescent drivel.

Its good for nothing in the adult world of work, home and leisure. Great in the gamer caves and dungeons where pissed off unpopular kids gather to nurse their grudges and all but who's got time for that?

I double dare you to tell me about a day in the life of adhering to your own, splendidly unique, entirely subjective code of ethics as it makes about as much sense as deciding you are going to speak your own invented language, everyone who has half a brain will respond to you as having done nothing of any worth and you'll sound like your spouting gibberish. And if you live by an entirely subjective code, which just so happens to mirror the law of the land and convention, then I call bullshit on it being anything other than a butt hurt fail at individual expressiveness, not a code of ethics at all.

Lark

I take a stoic stance in terms of day to day life. And yes, I do conform to this belief as much as I can. It helps me accept people's flaws quite easily, rather than writing them off as "evil". It also helps me forgive people too. Even if people pronounce what they think is good and evil around me. The worst case senario is that I usually try to correct their black and white thinking. I don't go around teaching good and evil do not exist, or even bring it up in any convo, unless it specifically touches on the subject. Like this topic.

This coinsides with my belief that all humans are animals, and everything we do is rooted in that nature/rebelling against it. It makes perfect sense to me, and my frame work on predicting human actions. Even my own. Even being aware of it. Quite interesting, but probably uncomfortable for most. Because it is quite depressing.

BTW Stoicism, and the naturalistic component of the same, do, definitely, posit an objective standard of ethics, norms, mores and morality.

That sort of tradition is precisely the opposite of subjectivism and relativism, though you can check that out yourself I'm sure.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is no equivalence between belief in God and belief in good or evil, it would like saying the temperature of water has some baring upon decisions about right and wrong.

It doesnt.

Can you explain to me how the subjectivism or relativism which you describe is not a dictionary definition of amoralism? You can pull up some dictionary definitions and wiki if you like, I can wait.

BTW I think we really should cut to the chase, if you want to claim that racial or group status has an exclusive and exclusionary subjective morality, therefore the races and other outgroups deemed to be inhuman by the master race have not moral rationale recourse or purchase upon said group go ahead. I just think or a non-racial version of Uber Mensch and Unter Mensch is so much adolescent drivel.

Its good for nothing in the adult world of work, home and leisure. Great in the gamer caves and dungeons where pissed off unpopular kids gather to nurse their grudges and all but who's got time for that?

I double dare you to tell me about a day in the life of adhering to your own, splendidly unique, entirely subjective code of ethics as it makes about as much sense as deciding you are going to speak your own invented language, everyone who has half a brain will respond to you as having done nothing of any worth and you'll sound like your spouting gibberish. And if you live by an entirely subjective code, which just so happens to mirror the law of the land and convention, then I call bullshit on it being anything other than a butt hurt fail at individual expressiveness, not a code of ethics at all.

If you continue to be rude, I won't reply to you anymore. I was just sharing my belief on a question you asked. You inquired further, and now are trying to claim I am making a statement on racism? Really? I am trying to explain what I believe. You really have a bad habit of ironically dehumanizing me. Don't paint people into such cartoonish caricatures.

Taken from wiki:
"Amorality is an absence of, indifference towards, or disregard for morality.[1][2][3] Some simply refer to it as a case of not being moral or immoral.[4] Amoral should not be confused with immoral, which refers to an agent doing or thinking something they know or believe to be wrong.[5]"

Amoralism disreguards morality all together. I do not disregard morality, I accept it as a natural occurance in social animal, myself included. This doesnt make good or evil objectively exist. Morality itself all revolves around the social instinct, and combined with our higher intellect as humans. Its becomes complex to the point of contradiction and paradox. It is how our ancestors evolved to work together, and survive. But evolution demands competition, or things stagnate and die out. So you can argue that social darwinism/natural selection does exist. Which is just a fancy word for some ideas and beliefs become more prevelant than others. Evolution does not favor the best, or the smartest. It favors the adaptable. Tribalism exists, because of social darwinism/natural selection. And the fact human society has become too big to support a single social group.

My philosophy is incredibly benign, and becomes a position of observance. This does not mean I do not partake in moral social actions, or do not enjoy the concept of good and evil. It just means I have learned to step outside, and observe human nature and how it affects society. It is neither harmful or helpful to anyone outside of myself.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Stoicism, and the naturalistic component of the same, do, definitely, posit an objective standard of ethics, norms, mores and morality.

That sort of tradition is precisely the opposite of subjectivism and relativism, though you can check that out yourself I'm sure.

Nothing is objective. All things we experience are 2nd hand, and can be decieved.