• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Westworld (2016)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They showed you-know-who's actual body in the beginning of this season, so yes, he is dead. (it had human insides... spilled out over the ground.)

Lots of great info to fuel the story in this episode, including what Delos has been up to (not very surprising). Peter Mullan is as great as ever.

Big question: Whose red ball was that?

Elise is taking everything in stride, all things considered.

And yeah, I laughed -- very pleased -- when William's daughter announced herself. It's you!

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They showed you-know-who's actual body in the beginning of this season, so yes, he is dead. (it had human insides... spilled out over the ground.)

Lots of great info to fuel the story in this episode, including what Delos has been up to (not very surprising). Peter Mullan is as great as ever.

Big question: Whose red ball was that?

Elise is taking everything in stride, all things considered.

And yeah, I laughed -- very pleased -- when William's daughter announced herself. It's you!

Red ball being a core?

Beorn

Permabanned

Have you seen the film Moon?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not really much of a spoiler to say next week looks like "Samurai World" and I about cracked up because I thought I caught a few glimpses of Hiroyuki Sanada in there. He's one of my favorite actors and has played a samurai a bunch of times in other shows/films (including "The Last Samurai," but stuff like "Sunshine" and "Lost" as well), so it's not much of a surprise to see they snatched him up for this.

MV5BMjE2MzY0NTM1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQzNzMyMw@@._V1_UY317_CR46,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

It looks like they also grabbed Rinko Kikuchi, who (to borrow from Troy McClure) you might recognize from her roles as Mako Mori in Pacific Rim and Bang Bang in The Brothers Bloom.

n1GSGFdpoiDXT3ozZflsmcJy21Y.jpg

It's like a brain thing. I think they said it represented the brain of an actual person.

White cores are hosts.

Red cores are... well, yeah, the analogous scan imposed on mech brain.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you seen the film Moon?

Yes, I have seen Moon (2009) with Sam Rockwell.

It's like a brain thing. I think they said it represented the brain of an actual person.

Hope all of this is explained later.

White cores are hosts.

Red cores are... well, yeah, the analogous scan imposed on mech brain.

Well as I mentioned earlier. What benefit would that have? Guess I'll find out in the next episodes (probably not the next one).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well as I mentioned earlier. What benefit would that have? Guess I'll find out in the next episodes (probably not the next one).

I don't understand the question. What benefit would there be for a human to live forever in a host body?

Of course, it all depends on whether you believe consciousness is actually transferred or whether it's just a duplicate so for the subject they would be dead and it would just be a copy but to everyone else it would seem like the person is still alive.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't understand the question. What benefit would there be for a human to live forever in a host body?

Of course, it all depends on whether you believe consciousness is actually transferred or whether it's just a duplicate so for the subject they would be dead and it would just be a copy but to everyone else it would seem like the person is still alive.

For a second, I wondered if MiB/William wanted to bring Juliette back the same way he did with his father-in-law. But then he would have to contend with Emily there. Emily also told spare Hemsworth she isn't trying to get out of the park. She knows the Lakota language, appears to be very familiar with the Raj and keeps a little notebook. Is she looking for the same thing her father is seeking? Or is she looking for her grandfather? Or mother? All that makes her really interesting to me.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

edit:

ok, I guess, maybe that is what I needed to read.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

edit:

ok, I guess, maybe that is what I needed to read.

Yeah, they need fresh hardware plus surroundings for each outing to make sure nothing is interfering with the next iteration that might derail it. Clean environment so to speak.

Plus it also ties into the repeated theme of hell and the devil -- listen to James' lines.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, they need fresh hardware plus surroundings for each outing to make sure nothing is interfering with the next iteration that might derail it. Clean environment so to speak.

Plus it also ties into the repeated theme of hell and the devil -- listen to James' lines.

yeah but, how can he/it be aware of it, if it is a fresh start every time. the only time he is aware of it is, when that paper is given to him. Or does it have something to do with him .... awake ... for 35 days? Or what was that about.

Beorn

Permabanned

:( Star Trek wasn't quite the same after I read about the theory of the transporter being a suicide box.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah but, how can he/it be aware of it, if it is a fresh start every time. the only time he is aware of it is, when that paper is given to him. Or does it have something to do with him .... awake ... for 35 days? Or what was that about.

Well, you want to clean out the environment because there could be subtle signs that he has been there before. It's easier just to make sure it's a clean slate COMPLETELY.

Same thing with wipes. Currently when you delete files on a hard drive, the data is still there, you just unallocated it in the directory table so the system thinks it's "free" space and overwrites anything in it as time passes. (Unless you of course do an ACTUAL wipe and reset all data values to 0, directly.) Anyway, considering the importance and difficulty in what they are trying to accomplish, they just find it easier to start completely clean, with new hardware and software, rather than trying to reuse something... there's just too much chance something could conflict.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, you want to clean out the environment because there could be subtle signs that he has been there before. It's easier just to make sure it's a clean slate COMPLETELY.

Same thing with wipes. Currently when you delete files on a hard drive, the data is still there, you just unallocated it in the directory table so the system thinks it's "free" space and overwrites anything in it as time passes. (Unless you of course do an ACTUAL wipe and reset all data values to 0, directly.) Anyway, considering the importance and difficulty in what they are trying to accomplish, they just find it easier to start completely clean, with new hardware and software, rather than trying to reuse something... there's just too much chance something could conflict.

is hell, everytime you restart from fresh, or reliving, knowing the same life again and again? To me, hell would then only start, once you know (the paper).

anyway, I'll just keep going in circles, because there are too many unknowns for me. I'll just park it under Artistic license for now.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So I'm rewatching the season 1 finale, and in it, Ford confirms that the backstory with Bernard's son originally belonged to Arnold. Arnold's son died, and then that backstory was given to Bernard.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Didn't Beta Hemsworth's character die last season? The last we saw of him was when the Lakota were closing in around him and "freeze motor functions" wasn't working. I've been waiting for some follow-up reveal of him being a host (regardless of whether he was before) and I don't think there's been one.

Not really much of a spoiler to say next week looks like "Samurai World" and I about cracked up because I thought I caught a few glimpses of Hiroyuki Sanada in there. He's one of my favorite actors and has played a samurai a bunch of times in other shows/films (including "The Last Samurai," but stuff like "Sunshine" and "Lost" as well), so it's not much of a surprise to see they snatched him up for this.

I was excited to see him too.

I was also excited to see Zahn McClarnon (Hanzee Dent in Fargo season two). Though it's possible he's actually been in the cast all along and I didn't recognise him under all the Lakota face paint.

Eta: Checked imdb, he was not in season one.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Someone on another site pointed out that there's an interesting metatextual element to this episode, which was that a number of Westerns were actually remakes of Japanese samurai movies. I wonder if that kind of thing ever happened the other way around?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found the episode pretty satisfying overall. There are a few important plot points:

Didn't Beta Hemsworth's character die last season? The last we saw of him was when the Lakota were closing in around him and "freeze motor functions" wasn't working. I've been waiting for some follow-up reveal of him being a host (regardless of whether he was before) and I don't think there's been one.

We didn't ever see him die, and he shows up in the season 2 premiere (in the plot at the END of the 2-3 weeks), and it's suggested he was still alive up to when William's daughter escaped. But yeah, we never actually see him escape or die yet. And there's still the red ball floating around out there.

Someone on another site pointed out that there's an interesting metatextual element to this episode, which was that a number of Westerns were actually remakes of Japanese samurai movies. I wonder if that kind of thing ever happened the other way around?

Pretty interesting. Not really sure. The chanbara flicks started to peter out in the 70's. Kurosawa were influenced by John Ford and others (American directors) and based two of his movies on Shakespeare plays. There was interplay back and forth during that time / cross-pollination, although it seems the American westerns are the more obvious cribs of Japanese films -- Americans love their disgraced / outside-the-code heroes. There's typically a conflict between a character's inner ethical code and the external ethical honor system (aka conscience vs duty) in Japanese film that fits nicely with the lone hero existing outside the law, even Dirty Harry feels like a ronin of sorts (a tarnished cop outside the system doing what is right on the inside) and it's not helped that he's played by Eastwood who also was the star of many of the most famous spaghetti westerns.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Pretty interesting. Not really sure. The chanbara flicks started to peter out in the 70's. Kurosawa were influenced by John Ford and others (American directors) and based two of his movies on Shakespeare plays. There was interplay back and forth during that time / cross-pollination, although it seems the American westerns are the more obvious cribs of Japanese films -- Americans love their disgraced / outside-the-code heroes. There's typically a conflict between a character's inner ethical code and the external ethical honor system (aka conscience vs duty) in Japanese film that fits nicely with the lone hero existing outside the law, even Dirty Harry feels like a ronin of sorts (a tarnished cop outside the system doing what is right on the inside) and it's not helped that he's played by Eastwood who also was the star of many of the most famous spaghetti westerns.

Actually I head this about the Dirty Harry movies and wasn't there a Ronin movie with DeNiro? Naturally these are American cop movies but I can see how westerns evolved from a much older story (Shakespeare) or the Samuri period (1600-1868), especially since American Westerns take place at the end of that period.

Samurai cinema - Wikipedia