• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

U.S. Election Voting Information

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The U.S. Presidential election is a month away. Between the ongoing pandemic and the unorthodox nature of today's political climate, our experience voting may be different than it has been in past elections. Despite the uncertainty, the need for social distancing, and the significant shortcomings of the candidates, I urge every eligible voter to cast a vote, whether by mail, in person early, or on election day at the polls.

If you have questions about voting (how to vote, where to vote, required ID, etc.) check out VOTE411, run by the non-partisan League of Women Voters.

If you have concerns about voting in your state or if you experience problems when you try to vote, contact Election Protection through their website or their hotline: 866-OUR-VOTE. It seems there are a number of telephone scams afoot in several states that can be reported.

This thread is for information and advice on how to cast a vote in the upcoming election, and for posting about our personal experiences voting, whether by mail or in person. It is not for debating the various voting rules and procedures currently in place, or any of the the candidates or issues on the ballot. There is ample opportunity for that in the rest of the subforum.

iu

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My parents received their absentee ballots. I noticed for my state you can go on their voter website and double check if you are registered to get a mail-in ballot. I'd check, it isn't too late!

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My parents received their absentee ballots. I noticed for my state you can go on their voter website and double check if you are registered to get a mail-in ballot. I'd check, it isn't too late!
My state does that, too. You can see whether your ballot request was received, when your ballot was mailed, and when the completed ballot was received.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It took me 13 days to receive my mail-in ballot, sent by first class mail. I plan to return it in person.

Also, if anyone is interested in volunteering to help this year's election run more smoothly and ensure that every eligible vote can be cast and counted, there are two great ways to volunteer:

1. Volunteer to be a pollworker in your county. In most places, you will need to be a registered voter in the county where you volunteer. You should be in good health and not at high-risk for COVID-19. Contact your county Board of Elections to volunteer.
  2. Volunteer with the Election Protection organization, to monitor polls and help voters resolve issues they may encounter as they try to cast their vote. There is one link for those with legal experience, and another for the rest of us. Volunteers are needed on election day, and during early voting. Some of the work can be done online from home, so even people under quarantine can help, provided they feel up to it.

This election will be unprecedented in many respects. The more people can do to contribute to it working smoothly, the fewer problems we will have, and the more confidence the nation will have in the outcome.