• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] Type of each Decade?

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
Lately, I've been pondering if each of the last 8 decades from the 1940s to the 2010s have a specific Myers-Briggs type based on the dominant culture/political climate of the decade. Consider specific social attitudes, major events/reactions to them, popular film/music and counter-cultural backlash when typing.

Here is an example, so you know how to do this:

2010s: NF Decade

While I won't completely delve into it for this example, I'm sure you get the idea.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1940s: NTJ
1950s: SJ
1960s: This is hard due to the status quo shifts: NF
1970s:SP
1980s:SJ
1990s:p
2000s N
2010s:NF

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
1940s: NTJ
1950s: SJ
1960s: This is hard due to the status quo shifts: NF
1970s:SP
1980s:SJ
1990s:p
2000s N
2010s:NF

I question why you chose SJ for the 1980s, as the decade was defined by materialism and wealth. Isn't that more of an SP quality? I think the 1990s would fall under SP.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I question why you chose SJ for the 1980s, as the decade was defined by materialism and wealth. Isn't that more of an SP quality? I think the 1990s would fall under SP.
It can go either way. I saw SP as well, due to the explosion of the arts and fashion, but I focused on the Cold War. The 80s were the high point and everyone was in inferior Ne mode. The 90s were weird. Again I can see SP for the same reason you said for the 80s, but it was also a time of great change, rise of technology, fall of USSR, etc. I would say NP.

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
It can go either way. I saw SP as well, due to the explosion of the arts and fashion, but I focused on the Cold War. The 80s were the high point and everyone was in inferior Ne mode. The 90s were weird. Again I can see SP for the same reason you said for the 80s, but it was also a time of great change, rise of technology, fall of USSR, etc. I would say NP.

That's a decent argument for the 1980s. Perhaps Reagan's attempt to force conservative values onto the public also made it an SJ decade?

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's a decent argument for the 1980s. Perhaps Reagan's attempt to force conservative values onto the public also made it an SJ decade?

Haven't thought of it that way. I was just choosing the overall gist. It was an inferior Ne atmosphere, everyone was waiting, watching, and catastrophizing the tension between Communism and Democracy (Nuclear War).

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I don't know enough about the 80s to say whether it was SJ or not, but I did want to pop in to make the distinction that conservative values aren't synonymous with SJ. SJs tend to adopt the values of their time period, so the SJs of the 50s are going to look very different from the SJs of later decades. If anything I would say the Cold War example Mayflower mentioned could point to SJ because of the inferior Ne thing.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Boy, this is going to be difficult to pinpoint as the Myers Brigg theory can be quite stereotypical in its descriptions for each type that are silly at best, to downright offensive at worst. The SJ = 50's is untrue since lots of NF/NF thrived in that era for the birth of new theories and art and literature and inventing new technology, and I would argue that all types can be happy in any decade once they found their niche. Progression and liberalism isn't always about pinpointing to the future, to be honest, and conservatism can be judged for subjective definitions on what it means for each different person. The ideas of conservatism is going to be different for an ESFJ than it will be for the INTP, but they can still live happily in a conservative environment no matter what year it is.

Mr Troll

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bs
If Keirsey is concerned: Mutation towards digital abstraction is heavily NT (last 20 years). Or is it more of new generation of SJness? To put in socionics terms: we are more and more in the Delta phase.
The beginning of 1900. Revolution of our world-view: Theory of relativity, quantum mechanics. From extremely deterministic to indeterministic. Where Dirac combined partially both by pointing out antimatter. Crazy, huge, earth shattering stuff. Nothing was the same after that :shock: The beginning in socionics terms was alpha

From human aspects: Wars: quite over blown – insignificant. It was about experimentation of new social systems. Which started to settle towards 1990s. In socionics terms: Beta century regarding humanism.

Rise of corporatism: Gamma starts to raise up bit by bit.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
1940s- STJ (Hard work and tradtion)
1950s- xSxJ (Similar to the past decade but with more Fe around and lower order Ne with the paranoia)
1960s- XXFP (Hippies and free love is very Fi. leaning more xSFP as overall seems more Se but Ne is also present).
1970s- ESxP (Live in the moment, enjoy yourself decade)
1980s- (Agree with Mayflower on it being a inferior Ne decade so ISxJ but can also see various xxTx types with the selfish greed aspect)
1990s- XXXP (Hard to explain but just overall has a P vibe to me)
2000s- IxTx (Rise of internet and compiuters overall gives a IxTx vibe to me)
2010s- XXFx (The rise of SJW and Black lives matter movements seems very F ish to me)