• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Me?

Suaimhneas

I've noticed that a lot of users have had some really good insight here and I was hoping to gain some perspective on my personality type. This is just one questionnaire I found on the compilation thread. If you have any other questions that you want to ask or that you think would be helpful, go for it. Thanks!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I have some conflicting/opposing preferences. I need certain securities to feel at ease in life... keeping my finances in order, having a steady and reliable source of income, knowing that I have the ability to care for myself and those immediately important to me when the time comes... in essence, being prepared. That being said, I desire the freedom to not be constrained by life. I hate the idea of the typical predetermined mold in our society... I need variety and adventure, to an extent. I struggle with the finality of decisions, especially serious choices that will have an effect on the trajectory of my life. I tend to reject a variety of social norms, but I do this without being so loud or flamboyant about it. I don't want to be trapped in a routine and mundane life, yet I need the familiarity and security of one. I have a desire to be true to myself, but I generally struggle with asserting myself and dealing with conflict situations. I can be idealistic and sentimental, but also extremely nihilistic and cynical.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

The pursuit of knowledge is important to me. I love to learn about a variety of topics, whether or not they may be applicable to my everyday life. I thoroughly enjoy studying subjects such as history, philosophy, mythology, psychology, sociology, and certain areas of science. I struggle with feeling static and I have the need to grow; I desire to feel alive, and deeply so... whether it be by feeling more enlightened by some deeper understanding or having a feeling of connectedness to the world and humanity. I also have a deep desire to understand who I am and this is perhaps the hardest thing for me to comprehend. I want to make a meaningful difference with my life... whether it be through my work, helping a single individual, or something greater. I think my life is rather insignificant, but I don't want to squander it all away. That being said, I can enjoy the simple things in life.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

The moments I felt most alive and perhaps even blissful were when I traveled. I studied abroad in college and traveled extensively during this time. I went out of my comfort zone and challenged myself. I felt no expectations or judgments to be anyone because I was a stranger in a foreign place, which led me to be more outwardly open. I was able to experience other cultures from both from an observer's perspective and as an active participant.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

This is a difficult question... I suppose incompetence? I crave being able to provide for myself independently. In my professional life, for instance, I like to feel on top of my game and that I am prepared for whatever may be thrown my way. When I am caught in a situation where I don't know what to do or get called out for being wrong... that sucks. I have no difficulty acknowledging when I need to ask for help and doing so is generally not an issue, but I like to feel I am capable. I would also say in some social situations I can feel intimidated by domineering personalities, but I usually feel this internally and don't let it be outwardly noticeable (I like to think). I find this trait off putting in other people, but at the same time I am envious since I often have difficulty asserting myself. Perhaps it makes me realize how different I am?

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

A combination of all of these things... I tend to follow my gut feeling on things, but I definitely utilize logical thinking and try to make a rational informed decision. I hate conflict, but I usually don't have issue with going against the grain unless it is someone in my inner circle. In instances where these people are involved, I tend to think about their perspective and how it will affect them. If it's not that big of a deal I tend to give way to someone else's desires because it's not worth it and usually ends up being fine. That being said... when I make decisions that go against my character or gut feeling I literally feel sick. I get nauseous and my heart pounds intensely... I dwell on it and replay scenarios in my head for quite a while.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

The bane of my educational existence... I despise group projects. I like being able to control a project, but I hate having to direct others or tell them what to do. I get frustrated with moochers that don't do their fair share and honestly my perfectionistic tendencies make me -want- to redo the work of others to meet my expectations. That being said, sometimes collaboration can be exciting when it's a project I'm passionate about and I clique with others involved. When it comes to independent projects... I tend to spend a lot of time in the brainstorming phase and struggle with the actual implementation until a deadline is looming.

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I find it difficult to truly let go sometimes, but I do have some fun. Moments isolated in nature stand out to me... whether it be driving alone down old country roads with my '93 convertible top down and music blasting or the time I was skinny dipping in an abandoned quarry with my best friend under the sun. These moments of silence, simply enjoying the company of another while being surrounded by nature, were some of the most peaceful in this restless mind of mine. Certain moments fade to just general impressions, but with more significant memories I can remember everything almost as if I were there all over again.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?

I like to be able to research it alone at my own pace. I tend to jump around... I follow the flow and see where it takes me. Once I feel somewhat proficient or at least have a baseline understanding, then I enjoy bouncing ideas off of my friends or those I feel comfortable with. I like hearing the perspectives of other people on subjects I'm interested in.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?

Ehh... well I am a procrastinator by nature, it's something that I try to work on. I keep important documents and sentimental items in good condition without issue. However, it takes an effort to keep on track with certain mundane things. That being said... when I get bored I actually find it really fun to reorganize an entire bookcase or collection. Sometimes I get bored of the scenery and completely rearrange a room of my house.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I'm never one to immediately shut down an idea... even some of the most disturbing or odd ones. I enjoy playing devil's advocate, to an extent, and pondering multiple sides of a situation. I like to consider the subjective factors that influence someone's opinion or idea as well as the implications of it. As much as I might entertain multiple ideas... for me to truly be sold on an idea? That is rare.. it needs to make sense to me and sometimes things are not so simple. It takes me a long time to come to a decision, if I ever do, but once I do it's pretty set.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

A combination of both, I suppose. I'm relatively laid back and flexible in social settings. It makes me feel at ease to know that the environment is one of harmony and that everyone is somewhat satisfied. That being said, I will not sacrifice all of myself for this to be possible. I don't impose my beliefs or expectations on others and I would hope they would not do this to me.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

In professional environments or with strangers/acquaintances I always think before speaking. I tend to be an observer and chime in when I feel it is appropriate, but I enjoy listening to the conversations without always actively taking part. I prefer one-on-one or intimate small group settings. When I am with someone I am very close to and especially if it's a topic of passion for me, I actually switch to the opposite. I get excited and animated and can speak without thinking because I feel safe being myself around that person. I don't feel the need to edit myself. I know that they will not misjudge me because they have a concept of who I am.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

If it is a serious situation or life changing decision, I will never jump in right away. I consider implications of all decisions and how that will affect things. If it's something more lighthearted, I just go for it! For example, if I'm exploring a new city I just jump in see what I find. If I have a plan, it doesn't bother me too much if I have to divert or if things don't work out. Words can hold significant power and influence... I have a great appreciation for them being an avid reader. Some statements are simply to provoke thought and action therefore isn't of such importance. However, in certain scenarios, if your words don't have any follow up or you choose not to live by what you say, then what is their meaning or worth?

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

It depends on my mood, honestly. Some nights I can go til the sun rises and fly by the seed of my pants, but I can't do it all the time. For the most part, I am a homebody. I actually go through hermit periods where I usually have to be forced from the cocoon of my house.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

It takes a lot to stress me out. I try to bottle up my negative emotions and deal with them privately. In the event that I do get stressed and can't contain it, I try to get away to a private place until I can get my cool. I can become short and abrupt in my speech and seem distant or moody. I usually try to hide it, but I have my moments of weakness... generally with those closest to me.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Someone that controlling or domineering of other people... or someone that will exploit others for their own gain or to simply be spiteful. Someone that has no sense of respect or humility. Someone that is so closed minded that they actually believe that their way of living is the only way to do so... especially when trying to impose their way of living or views on other people.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I love deep conversations, when it feels fluid and open. Discussing topics such as the purpose (or lack thereof) of life, society, consciousness, and interconnectedness. I also like discussing movies, TV shows, or books... things like themes, character development and relationships, and what will come to happen.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?

Hmmm... I'm not sure. I hate to say it, but sometimes I need to pay more attention to those important to me. I tend to focus on one or two people deeply and for them, I would go the distance. I also am prone to going into hermit mode and kind of ignoring the rest of the world... until I decide to come out and then I get super explorative. With that all said, I really need to make more of an effort to keep in better touch with my other friends and family members. Once attached to someone it tends to be for life for me. I definitely love and care for them, but I forget that they don't just intuitively know that all of the time.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality?

My friends would never say I was uptight or argumentative. They might be frustrated that they open themselves up more to me and feel that I don't do the same for them, at least not to the same level.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Hmmm an ideal day... I would sleep in and then take the time to make myself a nice breakfast to eat outside under the sunshine. I would read for a while and hang out with my animals. Closing my eyes and listening to some music on my surround sound headphones would definitely be a must. I'd meet up with some close friends to hang out doing something casual, then we'd probably grab some happy hour drinks somewhere chill to people watch and chat. If I have a significant other, then probably come home and have some one-on-one time just relaxing together. Other hobbies in my free time include gaming, genealogy, and doing things outdoors. Sometimes I say screw it and just explore until I find something that looks interesting, if I'm feeling adventurous.

Last edited: