• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Identification

Literary_Dreamer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am curious to see what you think of this questionnaire I filled out. It seems to me that outsiders with interest in MBTI would be fairly objective in typing someone and so would be useful in confirming or dismissing fears about having been mistyped.

1)What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

Various small things, moments when reading certain descriptions of my type I thought, “This does not sound like me.” Then I would continue on and things would go back to fitting me or I would find another site’s description which would fit me. (Obviously, I know that different sites have different descriptions and not all of them are going to fit me perfectly, but it is always a moment of doubt and I thought it would be better to list everything than to leave out something potentially useful.) Also, I noticed that many people seemed to have my type, despite all descriptions saying that it was rare, especially members of my gender, which was supposed to be even more rare. I began to doubt the accuracy of the test. I also noticed significant differences between myself and another person with the same type as me. I understand that there are many possible reasons for that but I thought ruling out having been mistyped would be easier than ruling out the many other possible factors.

2)What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Intellectual stimulation. The idea of passing my life without anything to think about, anything to ponder and consider, anything to spark my imagination is so abhorrent to me that I cannot begin to describe the sensations it causes in me. Also, financial security. I would rather contemplate an abstract theory than where my next meal is coming from. Also, freedom from social conventions and prejudices. If I must be judged I would prefer it to be on my intellectual merits, not my ability (or lack thereof) to successfully navigate social interactions, or my race, gender, and age.

3)Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I felt my finest when having a debate with my intellectual equal (or possibly superior). It was clear that we were the two smartest people in the room. I was able to use the knowledge and information that I had accrued over many years and the other person took me and my argument seriously. He was also interested in what I had to say rather than simply tolerating me with a flow of “uh-uh” and “I see” which means absolutely nothing.

4)What makes you feel inferior?

I feel inferior when my theory is dismissed (or even accepted) without any apparent consideration of its merits or any explanation as to why it was dismissed (or accepted). I get the impression at that time that the other person is taking me lightly, treating me like a child or an idiot.

5)What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I think I generally use pros and cons. I ask myself, “How will this benefit me?” If then I ask, “How will this harm me?” Whichever has the most benefits in relation to harm—that is my choice. Before that, though, I have to ask, “Will this work?” If one of the options is impossible or so difficult that success is unlikely, there isn’t really a contest.

6)When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

If it is a solo project, then this is a pointless question. Of course I have control over the outcome. Either I work or I don’t work. It’s that simple. If it is a group project, then that depends on the group. If I’m with a group of morons then good god yes. In fact, I end up doing most of the work because I don’t trust them with it. If I am in a group with my equals, then it is more egalitarian. We parse out sections of the project and I take control over my piece and I trust the others to do the same with theirs. If there is someone (whom I deem to be) more competent than me in the group, then I defer to them. If they ask for my advice, I will give it, otherwise I will keep my head down and do what they tell me.

7)Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I had a lot of fun when I went to supper with my like-minded group members for a semester project and we spent the whole time discussing the direction of the project (which was interesting), our mutual interests, career paths, futures in general, and complaining about our slacker group member with whom we were stuck because the professor trusted us to keep him in line. My memory of it is warm, comfortable, like that moment right after waking up without an alarm clock. It’s like belonging when you don’t generally fit in anywhere. It’s like being understood when you feel like you’re speaking a foreign language you’re whole life.

8)When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?

When I want to learn something new, I do research. If it is a skill, I look up tutorials. If it is information, I look for articles about it. If it is something like a college course, then if I have time in my schedule, I sign up for it.

9)How organized do you think of yourself as?

That depends. In the physical world, not at all. It’s not that I can’t do it, it’s just that it’s very time consuming to fight entropy. Ideally, I would pay to have someone organize my things for me. As far as information and writing go, very. I have lists of lists, spreadsheets of spreadsheets, and so many nested folders that you would think it was a new form of information security. My papers are always very well organized, moving smoothly from idea to idea in a logical progression.

10)How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I look at the principles first. If the theory isn’t sound, the data likely won’t be. Now, if you can overwhelm me with data that shows that the theory is sound, I will be willing to reevaluate the theory. Likewise, if you show a preponderance of data showing that the theory is not sound, I will have to reconsider my judgement of the theory.

11)You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I certainly do not make sure everyone is doing fine or belong to a given group. I must therefore make sure that I follow what I believe and be myself.

12)Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I usually think before I speak and continue to think as I speak. I also think after I speak. I am actually in a constant state of thinking. What I try (and generally succeed) to never do is speak without thinking. Depending on the person, I am more relaxed in a one-on-one communication than in a group discussion. How much I talk depends on how many people there are, the setting of the discussion, how well I know the topic, and how well I know the people involved.

13)Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I like to know what I’m getting myself into. As for actions versus words, it depends on the actions and the words. Strong actions will speak more than weak words and strong words will speak more than weak actions. It also depends on the person performing the actions or speaking the words. A competent person is more likely to get their point across whether they use actions or words. An incompetent person is less likely to get their point across whether they use actions or words.

14)It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

NO. I don’t mind going out with friends from time to time but I need time to prepare myself for an evening of socializing. Also, my schedule. If you want to spend time with me, we have to arrange it ahead of time otherwise, even if I just seem to be staying in and watching my favorite show, I already have plans.

15)How do you act when you're stressed out?

I am irritable. Give me a wide berth or you’re likely to get an earful. If you push me (or, unfortunately, if someone else pushed me and you happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time) you may get a full blown temper tantrum complete with incoherent yelling, gesturing, and (embarrassingly) tears.

16)What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I don’t like it when people are too emotional. I don’t like it when people are too nosy. I don’t like it when people are too friendly. I don’t like it when people are too agreeable. I don’t like it when people are too combative (pointlessly so).

17)Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Books, history, historical debates, historical clothing, manga, foreign languages, art, philosophy, anything that makes for a good debate, the future.

18)What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?

Where I am walking, other people’s emotions, my own emotions, the mess in my room, the passage of time, my body (unless I am ill or in pain), most other people, Facebook, Twitter, other social media, my spam folder.

19)How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

I cannot even begin to fathom how my friends see me. In fact, I cannot even be sure they see themselves as my friends (except for one friend who specifically told me that I am one of her best friends). For the most part, I just figure everything is ok so long as they don’t try to kill me. I’ve been told before that I can’t be an introvert because I talk too much. I’ve also been told that I don’t talk enough. I’ve also been told that I am smart. My mother’s friend calls me “Footnote”, for what it’s worth. I’ve been told that I’m kind…but I just don’t see it. I don’t think anyone would ever say that I am sporty…other than that I could imagine anyone saying anything about me, right or wrong.

20)You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I would be doing solitary activities. Reading, writing, organizing my music collection, working on an AMV, watching an anime or a live action series or a movie, taking a nap, tweaking my life plan, running through plot scenarios for my role-play stories as I wait for replies. I do run the risk of getting bored if I stay inside too long and no one thing sparks my interest. A bicycle ride may help with that.

Ely

Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You sound very INTJ to me! My second guess would be INTP.

Literary_Dreamer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Interesting. So far, the answers have been both expected and completely unexpected. I am used to people being uncertain of my place on the P/J scale but I have never (until now) had anyone question my position on the E/I scale. I am curious about what made [MENTION=25366]Chrysanthe[/MENTION] hesitant to place me along that dychotomy.