• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trauma of something that hasn't happened

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Detraumatizing Something Which Hasn't Happened Yet

Treating Trauma That Hasn’t Happened Yet
How I treat 'imaginative trauma' such as fear of flying or fear of public speaking

You’re terrified, scared witless. It feels like you’re about to die! How will it ever be alright? How will you survive this? You feel traumatized not by a past experience, but by the prospect of a future one.

Imagination is so powerful.

Occasionally I get a traumatized client who hasn’t actually had a traumatic experience. But they’re still suffering because they’ve traumatized themselves through their imagination of some future event.

One thing I do when a client comes to me with such a fear, is to go into extremely calm and objective detail about what will likely happen.

For example, if a client has a fear of flying but has never in their life actually flown, I will talk in depth about what’s going to happen during the flight. That way they can be prepared, little is unexpected, and their stress levels are lower. A part of them will be thinking “ah Mark said this would happen!”

The audio below is taken from a Q&A session held during our Rewind Technique course. And even if you haven’t taken the course, this may be helpful, as I talk about how to use the technique for clients with a fear of flying and fear of public speaking as well.

Boring the fear out of them

If someone’s never flown before and they have some made up horror thing, I won’t kind of go there. I’ll explain to them exactly what happens in the boring-est detail. You know, you travel to the airport. You start seeing signs for the airport. I might even describe packing, making sure they’ve got their passport. You know?

You’ll arrive at the airport. You’ll park or you’ll get off the bus or whatever. You’ll find the terminal you’re flying from. You’ll stand in line to check in. You’ll go through security. You’ll wait around in departures.

There will be shops and stuff, a lot of families and other people around. You’ll have a call to go on to the plane through the tannoy. You’ll find your seat on the plane. You’ll go through that sort of tin kind of tunnel thing on to the plane.

You get on to the plane. There’ll be someone greeting you there. You’ll find your seat. There’ll be people milling around. You’ll sit down. You’ll put your bag in the overhead locker. You’ll fasten your seat belt.

There’ll be a safety demonstration. You’ll taxi down the runway. The engines will roar. You’ll gather speed and there’ll be a point at which you’re not sure whether you’ve quite taken off yet or not. It’ll feel quite steep but from the outside it never looks as steep as it feels from the inside.

After ten minutes you’ll level off. You’ll find your flight path. There’ll be a pinging noise which means that people can mill around again and use the toilet. There’ll be food and drinks served and sometimes there’ll be turbulence just like a boat on the sea. You’ll notice that and sometimes it might even feel dramatic, but from half a mile away it looks as if the plane’s entirely smooth.

I’ll describe the whole thing. Sometimes you’ll be bored. Sometimes you’ll forget that you’re on a plane if it’s a long flight, et cetera, et cetera. Then I’ll describe coming in to land and the whole thing in quite some detail. The template is in there. This isn’t done hypnotically. I’ll just talk at them.
Using the imagination to remove the emotion

Then I’ll describe, and I’ll suggest that they can close their eyes and they can in a few moments just rewind through that whole experience, what it’s like to go back in time through that experience they haven’t had yet, but they’ve had it because I’ve described it to them.

Then I’ll get them to fast forward through it and suggest that time can fly when you’re on a plane, and get them to see it from the outside and rewinding and fast forwarding, and rewinding and fast forwarding until I’ve stripped the imagined experience of any kinesthetic effect.

Then I’ll get them to really focus on where they’re going, not how they’re getting there. It’s almost as if they can have amnesia for how they get there. I’ll suggest highway hypnosis where you drive somewhere and when you arrive somewhere you don’t know how you got there and sort of link that to the flight.

It’ll be the holiday or the trip that you remember in future, not how you got there and how you got back. I might do that for the journey back as well.

That is how I would really sort of approach that. You’re rewinding the imagined scenario but not some catastrophic imagining they have of it. You’re creating a healthy and realistic template. The realistic template is nothing dramatic will happen on the flight.

That is the realistic template and you always go for reality, for realism with your client. Hopefully that’s cleared up some confusion there.

Could this sort of thing be useful in talking to liberals about Donald Trump? Or would it just make them mad?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Detraumatizing Something Which Hasn't Happened Yet

Could this sort of thing be useful in talking to liberals about Donald Trump? Or would it just make them mad?

I don't think this is specific to liberals - I see lots of fearful Trump voters. More paranoia in them than imagined trauma though. I don't know that talking to either side is going to help, because if you tell someone - it's all in your head! - what is that going to accomplish?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The principle 'let go of the things you can't control' goes especially well with the politics of any party if not everything.

Remember we are all humans and life is too unpredictable to actually fret too much about anything.

Don't get angry if you can't "save" everyone, because it's literally impossible. It's life. Plus, what may be good for you, may not be good for everyone. Celebrate diversity.

Realize that teamwork and cooperation is necessary to get things done on a global scale.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The principle 'let go of the things you can't control' goes especially well with the politics of any party if not everything.

Remember we are all humans and life is too unpredictable to actually fret too much about anything.

Don't get angry if you can't "save" everyone, because it's literally impossible. It's life. Plus, what may be good for you, may not be good for everyone. Celebrate diversity.

Realize that teamwork and cooperation is necessary to get things done on a global scale.

Diversity...thats liberal talk. Find a single right way and judge the rest wrong. Its sad its way to easy.

Those who say its not trump, not any of the other republican nominees would have caused this backlash, not to mention helped those who just want a voice to force it on others. What a wonderful job he has done bringing people together...oh wait...thats not the goal. Thats just pulling shit outta his ass, like this whole "drain the swamp" that he thought was hokey that he pushed because...people like it...doesnt matter if its true.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Diversity...thats liberal talk. Find a single right way and judge the rest wrong. Its sad its way to easy.

Those who say its not trump, not any of the other republican nominees would have caused this backlash, not to mention helped those who just want a voice to force it on others. What a wonderful job he has done bringing people together...oh wait...thats not the goal. Thats just pulling shit outta his ass, like this whole "drain the swamp" that he thought was hokey that he pushed because...people like it...doesnt matter if its true.

I'm moderate, I pick and choose my politics like a cafeteria. Conservative in some, liberal in others. This is going to sound corny but I'd be fine with a medium size government. I have feelings for the minorities and think the government is a good way to let them be helped. I'm not a fan of large government where that's all we depend on, I don't think reality could support such an ideal without corruption and money lost. But a too small government is like throwing people to the wolves for those who can't adapt well.

Say what you want about trump but evidence is what I'm waiting to see. I don't fully support him but I'm not entirely against what he is doing either.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Liberals whoa are afraid of Trump would get angry, but it could theoretically work.

Though omg, I'm not like this about Trump, but this imaginary trauma basically describes my whole life. I was always trying to find something bad that has happened in the past, but this is a much better explanation.

I'm moderate, I pick and choose my politics like a cafeteria. Conservative in some, liberal in others. This is going to sound corny but I'd be fine with a medium size government. I have feelings for the minorities and think the government is a good way to let them be helped. I'm not a fan of large government where that's all we depend on, I don't think reality could support such an ideal without corruption and money lost. But a too small government is like throwing people to the wolves for those who can't adapt well.

Say what you want about trump but evidence is what I'm waiting to see. I don't fully support him but I'm not entirely against what he is doing either.

I'm similar to you, though I think it's possible that my political beliefs aren't fully developed since I am younger. I think part of this balanced thing for me is that I was raised conservative, but also exposed to liberal beliefs in a positive light (not by my parents lol).

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm similar to you, though I think it's possible that my political beliefs aren't fully developed since I am younger. I think part of this balanced thing for me is that I was raised conservative, but also exposed to liberal beliefs in a positive light (not by my parents lol).

Eh, it's all about reading. I'm not firm on everything. Being in the middle takes the most thinking anyway. ;)

Oh no! Not the horrors of being an armchair anthropologist! :tongue: