• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Te] TJs: Describe Te as You Understand It

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Remember that ExTJ style immediate action has advantages over IxTJ style action -- just as yours has advantages over ours.

I know, but since you are Sp last I just had to say that. (sorry, I am from the country where people are reckless by default and for me "immediate action" basically means that someone will probably need help or saving)

I was watching our local enneagram scores years ago and only about 1/4 of people has e1 over 50%. (therefore I openly admit that I am biased in these matters)

Btw what is immediate action anyway ? Does this mean there are 2 minutes to think things though if problem is bigger one or there is trully "immediate action" ?

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't have time as I am drowning at work. But in general...
Te and Ni work in tandem.

Te helps provide organization of a sea of information, which can be binned, sorted, ordered, and classified.
Once this is done, specific facts or groups of facts can be used as scaffolding or support struts to hang an Ni-approximation mesh upon.
Then, the feedback occurs as the Ni-mesh can be viewed holistically, either to hint at places to optimize actions when pursuing a desired goal,
or suggesting places to look where the supply of facts is sparse.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
There are so many vastly different definitions of Te in here. Does no one want to address this point?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One thing I have noticed about Te (dominant Te in particular), is that the internal dialouge the user experiences isn't particuarly large. Further, that what is said rarely has much withheld. Is this accurate? Either way how does the brain-mouth filter work, and what kind of stuff regularly gets filtered?

Thoughts don't get withheld. Feelings are very filtered.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
wat. feelings always show through, it's thoughts that get filtered

Lol, not for me they don't... :p

Te = thought vomit

Fi = emotional black hole

:D

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
lol I guess 6w7 influences that a lot

I once lived with an ENTJ that hated more than anything to be told what to do. I kept wanting to make the place livable, so I'd come up with varying ways of getting him to do shit like dishes and picking up after himself, but he wouldn't have any of it, it had to be his way. His way was create some elaborate system that would divide up the work evenly, and he immediately ignored it and nothing got done. In any case I'm sure it was an elaborate scheme to trick everyone into doing everything for him. He eventually got a girlfriend that would hardly talk to anyone but him and she just cooked him food every day. I had to clean up after her too. Anyway, my point is, Te = shit roommate.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes, I notice I'm in my head a lot. Much more than the gut dominant entjs.

I *am* a shit roommate though. And having someone cook for me every day would be a dream come true....

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION] but why be a shit roommate? Relate it to Te if you can. I think this is one of the hard hitting subjects no one is talking about, and it needs to be addressed.

/DG/

[MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION] but why be a shit roommate? Relate it to Te if you can. I think this is one of the hard hitting subjects no one is talking about, and it needs to be addressed.

Eh????? Are you trying to make some of a joke here? Your roommate just sounds lazy as shit. Any type can be lazy.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Eh????? Are you trying to make some of a joke here? Your roommate just sounds lazy as shit. Any type can be lazy.

Obviously he was, but I legitimately want to hear the Te perspective

/DG/

Obviously he was, but I legitimately want to hear the Te perspective

? I'm not sure what you want here. I am lazy, but someone like [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] is not. I don't see a type relation. I could maybe see a relation to the big five though.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually 'lazy' is in the eye of the beholder. Someone can be a shit roommate but passionate about work and willing to go above and beyond, making them anything but lazy.

Its a real good indicator as to their priorities; what they value (and often respect) in life. And it clearly wasnt chores :alttongue:

And sometimes it also really shows off what the person who called them lazy in the first place values and prioritizes :ninja:

:wink:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm exactly the same way.

Sometimes I forget why the ESTJ stereotype involves huge amounts of anger, and the ENTJ stereotype doesn't. :laugh: I am VERY good at deciding what I subjectively think of something. I can do that with 99% accuracy in a matter of seconds. I think most ESTJs are good at that. Maybe it's Si added to Fi, reinforcing and broadening our obsession with the "right"/"wrong" dichotomy?

That Si/Se distinction is without a doubt a factor. Like we were discussing the other day, it really is remarkable to me how big of a difference that is. I don't form subjective evaluations around "sensation". Those valuations are almost a separate process from the direct experience.

For instance, I was searing some salmon about a year ago in some very, very hot oil. Had never really used that particular technique before and I added a little too much oil to the pan, it splashed onto my wrist, and I ended up getting what would become a third degree burn.

Now, it was enormously painful, but at the time, the pain was just kind of...interesting to me? Like the way that it evolved over the course of the evening from numbness to cold to searing, then sore a few days later and itchy as it became to heal. There was just so much texture to it that it was hard to describe it totally as unpleasant. It didn't feel great, but it was just something that was currently apart of my existence at that moment and would eventually shift. I would be hard pressed to say much more about it than that. I would rather not sear most of the skin on my wrist off again, but if it happens again, at least I know I'll be in for an interesting evening. :shrug:

I don't know if this happens to you, but when I'm in inferior-Fi and thinking "why does no one appreciate me" and "why does no one understand me" and all that BS, there's inevitably a moment when I think "oh, shit, I dug my own grave here".

Haha! Yeah...definitely know that feeling. The better I'm doing mentally/physically/emotionally, I can sense that tailspin and can pump the breaks. If I'm run down, though, my Te filters evaporate and it's just like swinging an axe through a cocktail party. I am a bit better at disengaging for a while to recharge when I'm at that point, though. Still a work in progress...:dont:

:laugh: I really should start ranking the levels of clearance like the federal government does.

"Yeah just went through the SSBI for my EJCC TS clearance. You wouldn't believe the number of questions oddly specific questions about knitted fingerless gloves...":huh:

Yeah, this definitely highlights how linear Te is. In particular when it's paired up with Si. Ni does sort of throw a "nebulousness" into the mix as WUR pointed out, but at the end of the day Te is surprisingly simple, and not the least bit convoluted. It's sort of confusing to me because I feel like so much information is being omitted in thinking, but it truly isn't needed. I guess what surprises me, is the lack of "back processing" or the inessent brain chatter that I for years expected everyone to have, but it seems like Te just doesn't have that.

One of my favorite quotes about filmmaking comes from a guy who runs a vblog called Every Frame a Painting:

Tony Zhou said:
Cinema is a matter of what’s in the frame and what’s not in the frame

That's Te in a nutshell to me: an ongoing, conscious choice about what matters and what doesn't. I can't speak as much for Te-aux, but for Te-dom, when something's in the frame it has our attention. When it's not in the frame, it doesn't. The shot can be as complex in its composition as you'd have it and convey as much or as little, but once it's gone then you focus on whatever replaces it.

Here's an example: Say you went on a date with a person you just met, and it went fairly well. No one else knows this person except for maybe one or two people. I could understand withholding if it went poorly, or if you were still feeling it out to see if it were going anywhere. Nevertheless, some individuals won't tell their friends, or if asked will give very little detail about it, and not share how they felt or reacted to things. Basically details are left out. I'm wondering now if part of it is because those details simply don't exist. It just seems odd to me that it wouldn't be shared.

Mm. It's not so much about the info as the friends. Anybody who asks me what I was up to that evening, I would be honest and say that I was on a date. Maybe talk a little bit about how it went. But I wouldn't assume that anyone else would care unless it's something we'd discussed in the past, and was established as something we discuss.

It's not like after the date, I will get on my phone and inform all Column A friends in a group text BUT NEVER COLUMN B FRIENDS. I'd probably not tell anyone unless it seemed relevant at the time.

This whole thing is very linear, and as Te would be, very efficient. I mean, I do the same thing where if I have a problem I can't solve, I eventually dump it to the back of my mind and let back processing do it's thing, but I see that as more Ni than anything. It is about subjective content, yeah. It's EASY (like really fucking easy) for me to figure out if I like something or not, regardless if it is subjective or objective. Having this set up as you do, with it being sort of binary pass/fail, it feels like it might miss things. Let me try and ground this a little bit: career/education paths. Does this process make figuring out those sorts of direction difficult? It seems almost unusual, because I would imagine that Te would regard career/education paths as something very important and top priority to solve. It seems like it would spend a lot of effort figuring out what is liked, disliked, the right decision, and wrong decision. That said, because of it's inate simplicity and efficiency with solving likes and dislikes, does that mean that for even objectively important things like that are really difficult to solve? That question goes for any Te user who might want to answer btw.

For me, I knew I wanted a career in international affairs when I was like 13-14. And from that moment, basically the singular focus of my life for roughly the next ten years was to achieve that. When I finally did and it wasn't for me, it caused a massive crisis, and I've spent the last few years experimenting to really find what I want.

This brings me to a semi-related point. I've always understood Te as a fundamentally creative function. Te to me is about building something out of nothing. It's this is what's in my heart (Fi), this is the vision I have for it (Ni), these are the resources available to me (Se) now let's assemble something that will create the reality that I want to live in.

I think that element is left out of a lot of conversations about Te, and is not always directly expressed by TJs. We do a lot of what we do because there is no greater rush for us than being able to hold something in your hand that had just been an image in your mind before. We create constantly and the focus on efficiency is almost selfish in a way, because you're trying to get to that payoff as fast as possible lol. One of the things I love most about who I am is that if I believe in something enough, I will work everyday for 20 years if that's what it takes to make it possible, because I KNOW I will make it happen. It's how I've always been and gives me a certain optimism even when pursuing something leads me through some bleak places. I just believe if I keep putting one step in front of the other I'll get there.

It sounds corny af, but I think all ETJs have a sort of closet Pollyanna streak deep down so w/e.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think that element is left out of a lot of conversations about Te, and is not always directly expressed by TJs. We do a lot of what we do because there is no greater rush for us than being able to hold something in your hand that had just been an image in your mind before. We create constantly and the focus on efficiency is almost selfish in a way, because you're trying to get to that payoff as fast as possible lol. One of the things I love most about who I am is that if I believe in something enough, I will work everyday for 20 years if that's what it takes to make it possible, because I KNOW I will make it happen. It's how I've always been and gives me a certain optimism even when pursuing something leads me through some bleak places. I just believe if I keep putting one step in front of the other I'll get there.
It's like Jack Nicholson said at the beginning of The Departed: "I don't want to be a product of my environment; I want my environment to be a product of me." :D

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This brings me to a semi-related point. I've always understood Te as a fundamentally creative function. Te to me is about building something out of nothing. It's this is what's in my heart (Fi), this is the vision I have for it (Ni), these are the resources available to me (Se) now let's assemble something that will create the reality that I want to live in.

1. True. However when Ni is dominant vision is much stronger, what allows it to reach further and in more unconventional ways.

2. That may be quite cultural based reasoning actually. In general I agree but since I am from the place that in 100 years changed 6 political systems and had 3 quite devastating wars I simply don't think that everything is completely up to you.

I once lived with an ENTJ that hated more than anything to be told what to do. I kept wanting to make the place livable, so I'd come up with varying ways of getting him to do shit like dishes and picking up after himself, but he wouldn't have any of it, it had to be his way. His way was create some elaborate system that would divide up the work evenly, and he immediately ignored it and nothing got done. In any case I'm sure it was an elaborate scheme to trick everyone into doing everything for him. He eventually got a girlfriend that would hardly talk to anyone but him and she just cooked him food every day. I had to clean up after her too. Anyway, my point is, Te = shit roommate.

What makes you think he is ENTJ ? I would say that this is almost surely more of a personal/cultural or enneagram thing.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. True. However when Ni is dominant vision is much stronger, what allows it to reach further and in more unconventional ways.

2. That may be quite cultural based reasoning actually. In general I agree but since I am from the place that in 100 years changed 6 political systems and had 3 quite devastating wars I simply don't think that everything is completely up to you.

On behalf of the League of Extraverted Thinkers , I would just like to remind all TJ participants that this thread is not an evaluation of your Te usage.

Te-usage evals are held as always at the end of the second and fourth quarter of every year. I would strongly encourage any LET members participating in this thread to use this as an opportunity to speak freely on their own experiences and NOT as a moment to compete with, disparage, nor feel belittled by the experiences of other members participating in this thread.

Having said that, please note that in observance of LET Western Conference Rules, "getting into one's feels" is still a reportable offense, punishable by up to 36 hours of reading a list of factual statements that a panel of Feelers will require you to clarify "what you really meant" when having made said statements.

Please keep this in mind as you contribute to this thread, and keep commentary within the spirit of constructive, collegial exchange that typifies the spirit of LET outside of our semi-monthly Thunderdome events.

Thanks in advance--
Rexy

ETA:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On behalf of the League of Extraverted Thinkers , I would just like to remind all TJ participants that this thread is not an evaluation of your Te usage.

Te-usage evals are held as always at the end of the second and fourth quarter of every year. I would strongly encourage any LET members participating in this thread to use this as an opportunity to speak freely on their own experiences and NOT as a moment to compete with, disparage, nor feel belittled by the experiences of other members participating in this thread.

Having said that, please note that in observance of LET Western Conference Rules, "getting into one's feels" is still a reportable offense, punishable by up to 36 hours of reading a list of factual statements that a panel of Feelers will require you to clarify "what you really meant" when having made said statements.
On a related note: SJ SSBIs are due to be completed by the end of this fiscal year, so now is the time to start notifying your character references.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
On a related note: SJ SSBIs are due to be completed by the end of this fiscal year, so now is the time to start notifying your character references.

I'll let my husband know, but I am sure he's already on top of that. ;)