• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Writer's Block

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
all due credits to [MENTION=29921]awbro[/MENTION] for this fantastical idea.

basically COME ONE COME ALL all form of writers and share your artistic endeavors, seek critiques and reviews, or whatever your artsy writing loving heart desires.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thoughts on this beginning idea for a story?

Ms. So-and-so is the hero of this story... because her man is a WEAK-A** PU**Y!

I just feel like a lot of other women would relate, whether or not they were vocal about it. :laugh:

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thoughts on this beginning idea for a story?

Ms. So-and-so is the hero of this story... because her man is a WEAK-A** PU**Y!

I just feel like a lot of other women would relate, whether or not they were vocal about it. :laugh:

I think a lot of modern novels right now are really trying to capture the changes of movements in their actual story choices. I think this kind of idea has an amazing deal of potential. Actually kind of makes me think of one I have going.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think a lot of modern novels right now are really trying to capture the changes of movements in their actual story choices. I think this kind of idea has an amazing deal of potential. Actually kind of makes me think of one I have going.

Oh hell yeah, that’s an awesome story idea! :D

I agree - we need more stories like this imho (and thanks!). :heart:

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh hell yeah, that’s an awesome story idea! :D

I agree - we need more stories like this imho (and thanks!). :heart:

Do you have any further premise on your story? Like thought of storyline or character or such?

I kind of weirdly like making the females of my stories strong and the men fragile. It goes against the idea of men being these powerful yet emotionless entities. Because toxic masculinity IS a thing and I literally have a novel titled "Boys Cry Too" centered around a college aged boy with severe depression. A lot of stories usually give this kind of thing to a female but I think men need more showing in literature that they can be emotional, struggle, and it is okay to speak up too.

*steps off soapbox* XD

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you have any further premise on your story? Like thought of storyline or character or such?

I kind of weirdly like making the females of my stories strong and the men fragile. It goes against the idea of men being these powerful yet emotionless entities. Because toxic masculinity IS a thing and I literally have a novel titled "Boys Cry Too" centered around a college aged boy with severe depression. A lot of stories usually give this kind of thing to a female but I think men need more showing in literature that they can be emotional, struggle, and it is okay to speak up too.

*steps off soapbox* XD

Haha nah, I get that :D I’ve just observed more and more real-life experiences lately surrounding strong women having to put up with men with fragile egos and/or cowardly or abusive behaviors. I want to bring it to light without pulling down the other sex though, since I recognize that there are guys out there who are truly strong and mentally/emotionally stable.

I don’t have much of a premise yet, other than looking into the dynamics between these two characters and seeing how they can grow to love each other and help each other become better. Sort of a fictional “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus” thing that seeks to reconcile the sexes while hilariously pointing out flaws.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha nah, I get that :D I’ve just observed more and more real-life experiences lately surrounding strong women having to put up with men with fragile egos and/or cowardly or abusive behaviors. I want to bring it to light without pulling down the other sex though, since I recognize that there are guys out there who are truly strong and mentally/emotionally stable.

I don’t have much of a premise yet, other than looking into the dynamics between these two characters and seeing how they can grow to love each other and help each other become better. Sort of a fictional “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus” thing that seeks to reconcile the sexes while hilariously pointing out flaws.

Okay 10/10 work on that everyone's gonna be a sucker for that story unless they're some stuck up their asses traditionalist from the 1800s or something. :p

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

*steps off soapbox* XD
And I will step onto it. I get so tired of seeing the same hackneyed exchanges play out, even in more recent stories (usually movies/TV) where the women are in "strong" roles, as law enforcement, spies, or simply ordinary folks holding a family or a community together. It's the small moments: who screams when they find a dead body? who tries to calm the unruly suspect? Who watches over the rescued kid while others look for a way out? It's not that women shouldn't be shown doing these things, but when it's nearly always the woman, it gets old fast. One way to check for this is to genderswap. Even if you keep the original genders, this helps you get a different perspective on situations, big and small.

I have been working on a story, which is very unusual as I have always considered myself bad at creative writing so have rarely done any*. It has nothing to do with the themes discussed so far, but was one of those things that "just had to be written". I am so close to finishing it, and hope to do so over Christmas break.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My favorite way to brainstorm is to come up with stupid names for characters (I'm partial to using objects for inspiration--names like Floor Dormeus, Frame O'Brien, etc.) and give them some outrageous story, just to get me writing without taking the process too seriously, and then cherry-pick ideas I can work with.

My recent idea for a story is about a universe on the verge of death and decay. The fabric of reality becomes unstable and begins to lose its structural integrity, resulting in chaos and interdimensional overlap. There are "fallen archangel" characters who abandon the afterlife and commit suicide after nightmarish visions from other realms shatter their illusion of heaven, but they are unable to transcend existence this way and find themselves in what is essentially "Hell on Earth." This new, blurred reality actually represents potential for a new universe, and the hidden purpose of the archangels is to transform the chaos into harmony using their different gifts. There are also "angel hunter" characters who blame them for the state of the universe because of distorted visions they saw involving the archangels.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Those blank comic book things (from Amazon) are good for brainstorming and general story development. Start drawing in one and you'll see what I mean.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
My favorite way to brainstorm is to come up with stupid names for characters (I'm partial to using objects for inspiration--names like Floor Dormeus, Frame O'Brien, etc.) and give them some outrageous story, just to get me writing without taking the process too seriously, and then cherry-pick ideas I can work with.

My recent idea for a story is about a universe on the verge of death and decay. The fabric of reality becomes unstable and begins to lose its structural integrity, resulting in chaos and interdimensional overlap. There are "fallen archangel" characters who abandon the afterlife and commit suicide after nightmarish visions from other realms shatter their illusion of heaven, but they are unable to transcend existence this way and find themselves in what is essentially "Hell on Earth." This new, blurred reality actually represents potential for a new universe, and the hidden purpose of the archangels is to transform the chaos into harmony using their different gifts. There are also "angel hunter" characters who blame them for the state of the universe because of distorted visions they saw involving the archangels.

I would read this.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I woke up this morning at 1:30 and decided to ease myself back to sleep by reading through what I've written so far for my debut novel. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it isn't, in my opinion, that bad. The first 8 chapters can be viewed at the following URL: The Glass Labyrinth, book by M. Leon Radecki Right now I feel inspired to plow through the rest of the book, which has been planned out and rough-drafted pretty extensively, which means completing it shouldn't be that hard. I'm hoping that inspiration remains with me, as I've been wanting to finish this for a long time.