• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The problem with Hollywood

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The problem with hollywood.

Why has Hollywood dominated national mythmaking, and why is that a problem?

The mythmaking or the national idea space, whatever you want to call it is the space in which the nation collectively conceptualizes itself. Who am I? Who are we? What is our country? Why? These are the questions answered in this space.

Its where the dreams we have about ourselves happen. The contours and size of this space color the kind of concepts its capable of producing, kind of like an aquarium. If the aquarium is small I can have minnows, if the aquarium is big I can have Shamoo.

Books and newspapers controlled this space because those were the mediums where ideas could be transmitted over great distances, and in newspapers case where intellectual interaction could happen publicly.

Hollywood took over national mythmaking from books and newspapers in the early 1900's.

Which was fine insofar as it goes. Movies much more efficiently export ideas than books ever could. If a pictures worth a 1000 words what happens when you get 24 of em a second?

The problem was that being an author had a much lower barrier to entry than hollywood which was now the dominant mythmaking system. This higher barrier to entry, gave the reins of national mythmaking only to those in the entertainment industry, interested in moving to California.

Before this a farmer from Mule Shoe Texas could have an idea and write the next great American novel. Which could in turn fertilize the national idea space with its fresh perspective.

What happens when the only perspectives being portrayed are those from folks within a highly narrow industry who come from a completely homogenous political culture, and have no familiarity with or inclination to explore to concerns of people who don't already agree with them?

Now that I've set the table, here's where things get good. This homogeneity among those controlling national mythmaking was permanently shattered with the birth of the popular internet.

Once the internet became normie and everyone hopped on, the environment was right to develop a new mythmaking space. From there we get twitter, replacing the public square, news sites for news, youtube for video etc etc.

The barrier to entry into any of these spaces is so low as to now be non existant. With that, the people slowly began to wrest control of our national idea space from those who'd owned it since the days of william randolf hearst.

It's the fight for this space that is the true fight. For the only things that we can make happen are those things we are allowed to dream into existence.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone backing candidates in support of censoring books in the USA might not be the best authority on why this nation now has a deficit in storytelling and mythmaking. Just a thought.

I have a feeling this has less to do with anxiety over a monopoly on mythmaking than it does with anxiety about which political team will dominate the narrative in popular culture.

On that count, yes, I don't like to see any one ideology or "team" dominating the narrative, but I question the OP's intent and sincerity in raising these concerns.

I don't think Hollywood has really changed all that much. They may have been less overt and in-your-face about it in the past, but film being utilized as a vehicle for political and/or social messaging is a trend nearly as old as the medium itself.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Other than incredibly dangerous Dominionism/Seven Mountains Mandate that seeks to control all family, religion, education, media, entertainment, business, and government, which is espoused by all kinds of ultra right wingers, fash pigs and non-religious GOPers who think it will never impact them - I can't possibly imagine giving a single fuck about Hollywood or the people in it.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
1664484528909.png

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i’m confused by this premise, coming from wealth or a prominent family didn’t give writers an advantage in the publishing world?

the technology to make an independent film is very accessible and open to anybody, you don’t have to live in LA or be a filthy libtard to do it. people film movies on iphones. most high-grossing films these days are centrist, pro-military, superhero pablum anyway and don’t really fit the narrative of this conspiracy you’ve devised. plus… people still read books and newspapers?

also what is ordinary-times.com?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
i’m confused by this premise, coming from wealth or a prominent family didn’t give writers an advantage in the publishing world?

the technology to make an independent film is very accessible and open to anybody, you don’t have to live in LA or be a filthy libtard to do it. people film movies on iphones. most high-grossing films these days are centrist, pro-military, superhero pablum anyway and don’t really fit the narrative of this conspiracy you’ve devised. plus… people still read books and newspapers?

also what is ordinary-times.com?
From 2020

https://qz.com/1872176/half-of-us-network-tv-dramas-are-about-cops/

Of the 69 scripted television dramas that aired on the big four US broadcast networks (CBS, NBC, Fox, and ABC) in the last year-and-a-half, 35 were about law enforcement, according to a Quartz analysis. CBS was responsible for 16 of those on its own. About 70% of the network’s dramatic programming from 2019-2020 were about cops.

Perhaps one reason why America’s national reckoning on police brutality took so long to arrive is because TV is conditioning its citizens to view cops as reliable heroes.
The overwhelming amount of videos coming from phones that directly dispute the above is changing public opinions rapidly.

Last edited: