• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Impeachment Thread

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Trump Is Beating His Main 2020 Democratic Rivals—Even as Impeachment Looms, Poll Shows

The survey shows Trump beating former Vice President Joe Biden by about 3 percentage points, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders by a little more than 5 points and Massachuetts Senator Elizabeth Warren by almost 8 points.

He’d also defeat South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg by roughly 10 points and former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg by almost 9 points, the poll found.

Major miscalculation from the Dems. In general, people don't follow politics closely. This impeachment nonsense is only helping Trump with independents who don't think he should be impeached. How exactly does impeachment help the average American? That's what people are asking. Dems have done nothing to help the average worker these past 2 years.

Lark

Christianity Today sees boost in new subscriptions after calling for Trump's removal: editor-in-chief | TheHill

"We have lost subscribers, but we’ve had 3 times as many people start to subscribe..."

With any luck, word will get out that speaking up against Trump is good for business?

I would hope so, globally I think that a moment has to come when something better than the relentless effort to seize power and hold it, whatever you have to say or whoever you have to stoke or whatever way you have to do it, emerges. I'm sick and tired of the lowest common denominator deciding things. People at their worst has been the default option for too damn long. Its a pattern all across the world, almost without exception.

Capitalism in its total ghetto gangsta and reality TV star stage is utterly disgraceful and disgusting.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Trump Is Beating His Main 2020 Democratic Rivals—Even as Impeachment Looms, Poll Shows Major miscalculation from the Dems. In general, people don't follow politics closely. This impeachment nonsense is only helping Trump with independents who don't think he should be impeached. How exactly does impeachment help the average American? That's what people are asking. Dems have done nothing to help the average worker these past 2 years.
Anyone who thinks this impeachment is undeserved is an idiot or misinformed. All it takes is to listen to the facts.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anyone who thinks this impeachment is undeserved is an idiot or misinformed. All it takes is to listen to the facts.

Actually, anyone who thinks impeachment is deserved, based upon the last 100 years of the presidency and the acts of those presidents, is an idiot or misinformed, or blinded by propaganda. All it takes is knowing history, listening to the facts, and being able to know when someone is lying to them.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually, anyone who thinks impeachment is deserved, based upon the last 100 years of the presidency and the acts of those presidents, is an idiot or misinformed, or blinded by propaganda. All it takes is knowing history, listening to the facts, and being able to know when someone is lying to them.

So because Truman dropped atomic bombs on Japan, Trump shouldn't get impeached? Is that your argument? I'm sure bribery is illegal. I don't think what Truman did is illegal under U.S. law, although it may be a war crime. Trump pardons those, though.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh, and I do know when someone is lying to me. I thought Trump was doing it from the beginning.

I' lose a great deal of respect for people's political ideas/ideals when they don't hold Trump to the same standard they held Hillary Clinton (not that I like Clinton). Ask yourself if you would have thought the conduct was not impeachable if it was Hill-Dawg doing it.

It reveals an utter lack of intellectual integrity and honesty when it comes to political matters.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes let's all devolve into preschoolers calling each other idiots unworthy of respect. For fucks sake people, can't you hear yourselves? Shame on you. Especially @highlander. Very disappointing.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Christianity Today sees boost in new subscriptions after calling for Trump's removal: editor-in-chief | TheHill
"We have lost subscribers, but we've had 3 times as many people start to subscribe..."​
With any luck, word will get out that speaking up against Trump is good for business?
Depends on your market. A whole lot of people have made it their business (like all of Hollywood and the media) since his election, and I feel like it's been hit or miss. The whole 'get woke go broke' meme suggests it's not always the best idea. If your market is Christians, I'd call it risky at best, foolish at worst.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
A lot of the political thinking in this thread (and other political threads around TypoC) shows strong evidence of a cognitive bias called the "Halo Effect."

The Halo Effect is a common cognitive bias in human thinking. It has two aspects:

1) If we gain a positive impression of someone based on limited knowledge (a first impression), we will tend to think of that person positively and associate him with positive characteristics that we know nothing about. For example, if we are told that X is intelligent, we tend to ascribe to him other positive characteristics like leadership, charity, etc. until proven otherwise. Even if that person screws up, we will tend to give that person the benefit of the doubt and assume it was an error or consider the screw-up inconsequential. The name Halo Effect comes from the idea of the goodness of a person spreading like a halo over that person until we assume positive features about the person that we can't actually know about.

2) Conversely, if we gain a negative impression about a person based on superficial knowledge, we will quickly come to dislike pretty much everything about that person. When that person screws up, we will tend to judge the screw-up as indicative of his poor character and want to see him punished. Sometimes the Halo Effect is called the "horns and halo effect" due to the two-sided nature of its effect.

From Wikipedia: The effect works in both positive and negative directions (and is hence sometimes called the horns and halo effect). If the observer likes one aspect of something, they will have a positive predisposition toward everything about it. If the observer dislikes one aspect of something, they will have a negative predisposition toward everything about it.

People frequently demonstrate the Halo Effect when describing their like or dislike for political figures and political policies. Due to the celebrity status of political figures and the fact that we can only have fairly superficial impressions of them based on "sound bites" from mass media, it's easy for the Halo Effect to take hold. The same applies to political policies: It's easy for a person to become a fan or enemy of a big government program based on limited knowledge about that program gleaned from the mass media.

Why does this cognitive bias arise? Because our "intuitive" grasp of the people and events around us likes to imagine a world that is more coherent and makes more sense than it does in reality.

Also, it's part of lazy thinking. If we assume that all the good is on one side of the equation and all the bad is on the other side of the equation, then the choice is easy: We don't have to make any difficult trade-offs or compromises. We just see the equation as black-and-white and choose accordingly.

The world, however, is rarely black-and-white. When it comes to moral or political issues of any complexity, there are almost always difficult trade-offs or compromises to be made. Good and evil rarely line up neatly on one side or the other. Instead, both sides tend to be a mix of strengths and weaknesses.

So if you see someone praising or condemning a political figure or party or policy without reservation and without recognizing the trade-offs necessitated by that choice, think to yourself "Halo effect."

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It seems like they're just emphatically bouncing nonsensical talking points around without actually being able to stop and truly examine whether they'd be okay with a Democrat doing the same thing. I hear, "So you think it's okay for Democrats to start an impeachment process for entirely partisan reasons?!? You think that precedent is okay to set?! They're destroying the system!!" with a deafness to being able to hear what he's actually accused of. There's this stunning blind spot - the very possibility that the impeachment articles might be based on actual things Trump did just doesn't compute. They skip right past it and have built a whole complicated thing on the belief that the impeachment is all about "undoing the election" and it's entirely fueled by partisan motivations - and EVERY trail of "logic" flows from that foundation, gets seen through that lens. Part of that process seems to be blocking out specific details (like the details of how Trump obstructed) and reverting to vaguer talking points, really emphatically - the details just don't get heard.

I have yet to hear one single person list what Trump has done - and I'm talking about the basic minimum that's been proven - and effectively argue that a POTUS should be allowed to do it. It just keeps reverting to some weird "it's all partisan" talking point.

Yes let's all devolve into preschoolers calling each other idiots unworthy of respect. For fucks sake people, can't you hear yourselves? Shame on you. Especially @highlander. Very disappointing.

Depends on your market. A whole lot of people have made it their business (like all of Hollywood and the media) since his election, and I feel like it's been hit or miss. The whole 'get woke go broke' meme suggests it's not always the best idea. If your market is Christians, I'd call it risky at best, foolish at worst.

I'd hoped it went without saying I was referring to the "right leaning, but who can see Trump for what he is" market. Because it's clearly been good for business on the left all along. Apparently it isn't foolish. It boosted sales. And my point was that maybe the reaction to this article will prove that market is bigger than suspected, and will promote more of the same.

Also, check out the guy mocking 'wokeness' one post consecutively after shaming highlander in the previous post for throwing a pejorative. Compulsively throwing pejoratives to vent frustration has consequences - the worse and more dishonest the pejoratives, the worse the consequences. That's the way it should work in life, it's how people learn to stop throwing them - as children, when they don't get what they want, negative consequences teach them to deal with not getting what they want in a healthier way. People policing the 'wokeness' of others can get out of control and take on a life of its own, and I assume this is what you're referring to when you say "get woke or get broke meme"; but a modicum of 'wokeness' is essential in order to simply function amongst others (not to mention, in order to honestly align oneself with Christian values). The CT article was far, far more in line with the latter.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fun suggestion: read the posts to the tune of Christmas Carols. It extinguishes some of the vitriol!

Unless you've lost people close to you in this senseless and violent war on Christmas, I mean. In which case, probably don't. Merry Christmas and I'm sorry for your loss.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Also, check out the guy mocking 'wokeness' one post consecutively after shaming highlander in the previous post for throwing a pejorative. Compulsively throwing pejoratives to vent frustration has consequences - the worse and more dishonest the pejoratives, the worse the consequences. That's the way it should work in life, it's how people learn to stop throwing them - as children, when they don't get what they want, negative consequences teach them to deal with not getting what they want in a healthier way. People policing the 'wokeness' of others can get out of control and take on a life of its own, and I assume this is what you're referring to when you say "get woke or get broke meme"; but a modicum of 'wokeness' is essential in order to simply function amongst others (not to mention, in order to honestly align oneself with Christian values). The CT article was far, far more in line with the latter.

The same guy that wrote the piece in CT suggesting trump should be removed from office, that your media is telling you is news for some reason, wrote this article almost directly after the election:

What to Make of Donald Trump’s Soul | Christianity Today

Bashing/hating on Trump is nothing new for this guy, and trying to spin it into some kind of cultural religious 'turning point' is pretty dishonest, especially since it's coming from people who can't even begin to understand religion or religious people. Any uptick in their subscriber base can just as easily be credited to the avalanche of free advertising the media randomly decided to gift them with.

Insulting ideas (like 'wokeness') is not the same thing as insulting individual people based on their ideas/beliefs like a bigot- that's the step too far that history has often warned us about. Especially coming from someone I always kind of looked up to on the forum as an adult voice of logic and reason. It's fair to say that anyone who thinks Trump is a decent and moral individual might want to reconsider that opinion, and it's fair to say that impeaching a president without direct evidence of an actual crime that exists in our laws or any bipartisan support (there is bipartisan support, ironically- but it's for NOT impeaching him) anybody who thinks that is a good idea might want to reconsider that opinion as well. Defensively defaulting back to 'well, I'm clearly right and the superior race, and everyone else is an idiot' helps no one involved in any way.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fun suggestion: read the posts to the tune of Christmas Carols. It extinguishes some of the vitriol!

Huh. Okay.

The Impeachment Thread - Highlander's post

Someone who thinks impeachment
is undeserved by you know who
has a mental impairment
with a brain that looks a lot like glue.

All of the other people
want to laugh and call him names
But he still has defenders
who won't play the impeachment games

Then one foggy winter day
reality swung the axe:
"People with your brains so bright,
won't you listen to the facts?"

then how the people thought twice
and shouted out in glee
donnie the impeached president
you'll go down in history

I don't know. I don't feel any better.

Jaguar

Don't post comments like that when your preschool rants about the left and millennials are all over this forum. Clean up the hypocrisy. Thanks.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Don't post comments like that when your preschool rants about the left and millennials are all over this forum. Clean up the hypocrisy. Thanks.
What can I say, Jag? Some of us change and grow and evolve, while others are too stuck in their ways. ;)