• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Biden Administration

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, this is fine. I'd also add to that a genderblind, raceblind evaluation process so the candidates' race and gender aren't evident, only their qualifications. This could help limit people making choices based on bias.
I have heard of organizations stripping resumes of names which can help, but other information can reveal demographic details, e.g. if the applicant attended a HBCU, odds are they are Black. Membership in certain fraternities or sororities will indicate gender and possibly other factors. For academic jobs you must provide your publication history, which of course will include your name as author. For all jobs, once it gets to an interview, most of these factors cannot be hidden. Interestingly some orchestras have started "blind" auditions, in which the applicant plays behind a screen so they are heard but not seen. Obviously such measures cannot be applied across the board, but if every group takes what measures it reasonably can, it can only help.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have heard of organizations stripping resumes of names which can help, but other information can reveal demographic details, e.g. if the applicant attended a HBCU, odds are they are Black. Membership in certain fraternities or sororities will indicate gender and possibly other factors. For academic jobs you must provide your publication history, which of course will include your name as author. For all jobs, once it gets to an interview, most of these factors cannot be hidden. Interestingly some orchestras have started "blind" auditions, in which the applicant plays behind a screen so they are heard but not seen. Obviously such measures cannot be applied across the board, but if every group takes what measures it reasonably can, it can only help.

I'm not sure fraternities and sororities are relevant to someone's potential as a job candidate in the US government. It shouldn't be included on a resume for a cabinet position. Or most jobs in any sector, for that matter. I'm not even sure the university they attended is relevant. Just the type of field they studied in, GPA, and type of degree(s) obtained. What fraternity or sorority someone was in is irrelevant, Fe bullshit. Unless absolutely necessary, their names don't need to be included.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I wish we didn't have to obligate them and they would just do it. I wish it were authentic. Like...I guess as a christian woman I am supposed to feel inspired by Barrett in the supreme court and with her histories, I'm really not. I don't feel very represented by her. But I am...supposed to I guess? What about those who really do read this history and feel angry that someone who is going to represent them poorly is chosen to represent them because it really just enables a train later of going "well see we tried to give them the job and they failed." I don't like the clout chasing crap. Get a qualified person free of racial, religious, and gender biases. I know, that is far too much to ask this country.

The bottom line is that if the incoming administration doesn't deliver too much in the meaningful content the country will simply fall apart. There is just no time and probably resources for another shoot. Therefore being cynical about it from the start is simply counter-productive and only rises chances of a train wreck. Which is a possibility even if people are open minded about the administration since the problems are serious and people need to play along when it is possible and remotely reasonable.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure fraternities and sororities are relevant to someone's potential as a job candidate in the US government. It shouldn't be included on a resume for a cabinet position. Or most jobs in any sector, for that matter. I'm not even sure the university they attended is relevant. Just the type of field they studied in, GPA, and type of degree(s) obtained. What fraternity or sorority someone was in is irrelevant, Fe bullshit. Unless absolutely necessary, their names don't need to be included.
For cabinet positions, sure, but people (usually) get the experience required to serve in those jobs by building a track record of progressively greater responsibility and accomplishment. In order to qualify for the higher level positions, people in underrepresented groups need first to get hired into these lower level positions. When someone is just starting out, or even mid-career, your university can be important, especially if you attended something like an Ivy League, or a university with an especially strong reputation in your field. Fraternity membership alone may be irrelevant, but for new job hunters, taking on a leadership or community service role in such an organization can be a major resume item. Discrimination at these lower levels keeps people out of the pipeline so they never get the experience that will truly qualify them for higher level positions.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For cabinet positions, sure, but people (usually) get the experience required to serve in those jobs by building a track record of progressively greater responsibility and accomplishment. In order to qualify for the higher level positions, people in underrepresented groups need first to get hired into these lower level positions. When someone is just starting out, or even mid-career, your university can be important, especially if you attended something like an Ivy League, or a university with an especially strong reputation in your field. Fraternity membership alone may be irrelevant, but for new job hunters, taking on a leadership or community service role in such an organization can be a major resume item. Discrimination at these lower levels keeps people out of the pipeline so they never get the experience that will truly qualify them for higher level positions.

Overall, I don't think someone's specific university is relevant. It might be included or omitted on a case-by-case basis, depending on the particular field in which someone is applying for a position. I still disagree that Sally's or Ken's ability to organize a kegger party or a Halloween party for their sorority or fraternity is relevant to most jobs though. Unless leadership is specifically required in the position. But even then, frats and sororities are horseshit. I speak from the experience of spending 2 years at a college in which over half the student population were involved in greek organizations. Usually those organizations didn't develop leadership, they just increased one's social connections and got them preferential treatment by TPTB--as I said before, Fe Bullshit irrelevant to most jobs and fields.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Overall, I don't think someone's specific university is relevant. It might be included or omitted on a case-by-case basis, depending on the particular field in which someone is applying for a position. I still disagree that Sally's or Ken's ability to organize a kegger party or a Halloween party for their sorority or fraternity is relevant to most jobs though.
You have a very narrow view of sorority and fraternity activity, then. My comment was not limited to those groups either, but to any other student or volunteer organization (e.g. religious, cultural, etc.) that a job applicant may be involved in. Leading your sorority in setting up a tutoring program for disadvantaged kids, or establishing a community food pantry at your church can be significant accomplishments on a young person's resume, demonstrating far more leadership and initiative than working at McDonalds or the college library. These are just examples of how resume content can hint at demographic group, to illustrate the limitations of simply removing names. Older applicants sometimes take on a mentoring role in such organizations, and many hiring processes often look favorably on volunteering and community involvement. Applicants should not have to remove potentially relevant experience and associations just to avoid bias.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You have a very narrow view of sorority and fraternity activity, then. My comment was not limited to those groups either, but to any other student or volunteer organization (e.g. religious, cultural, etc.) that a job applicant may be involved in. Leading your sorority in setting up a tutoring program for disadvantaged kids, or establishing a community food pantry at your church can be significant accomplishments on a young person's resume, demonstrating far more leadership and initiative than working at McDonalds or the college library. These are just examples of how resume content can hint at demographic group, to illustrate the limitations of simply removing names. Older applicants sometimes take on a mentoring role in such organizations, and many hiring processes often look favorably on volunteering and community involvement. Applicants should not have to remove potentially relevant experience and associations just to avoid bias.

It's still Fe bullshit and biased against people who were more introverted students (and thus less likely to seek membership in those types of organizations), targeted for bullying by members of those types of organizations, or who couldn't afford to pay the ridiculously high pledge fees those type of organizations often require (so, economic discrimination on top of the Fe bullshit).

And some sorority or fraternity helps the homeless, I'm supposed to assume their members are of a higher character or actually care about the groups they're helping, and aren't just doing it to have something nice to put on their resume to virtue signal they're awesome people? I remember overhearing a couple of sorority members complaining about smelly, creepy homeless people after helping out at a local soup kitchen. Oh but you can bet they'll pretend they care and use it on their resumes to show how fake-compassionate they are. Meanwhile I never joined any greek organizations, but whenever my friends and I went to the diner downtown, I always gave extra money to homeless people we met (and I'm not just talking pocket change), and sometimes we'd even take homeless people to the diner and buy them a hot meal. But most companies don't care about that and would look at me funny if I mentioned that on a resume. Don't lecture me on greek organizations. It's just Fe bullshit designed to give their members preferential treatment and a built-in network of contacts when they head off into the real world. It doesn't actually say anything about job candidates' true character, it just shows they're good at pretending to be decent people. Really good people don't need organizations like that to go out and do good things in the world. Fi rant over

Wait I'm not done. How do you know someone who's worked the grind managing fast food restaurant is less qualified than some rich brat who was in a frat or did volunteer work? Classist, much?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's still Fe bullshit and biased against people who were more introverted students (and thus less likely to seek membership in those types of organizations), targeted for bullying by members of those types of organizations, or who couldn't afford to pay the ridiculously high pledge fees those type of organizations often require (so, economic discrimination on top of the Fe bullshit).

And some sorority or fraternity helps the homeless, I'm supposed to assume their members are of a higher character or actually care about the groups they're helping, and aren't just doing it to have something nice to put on their resume to virtue signal they're awesome people? I remember overhearing a couple of sorority members complaining about smelly, creepy homeless people after helping out at a local soup kitchen. Oh but you can bet they'll pretend they care and use it on their resumes to show how fake-compassionate they are. Meanwhile I never joined any greek organizations, but whenever my friends and I went to the diner downtown, I always gave extra money to homeless people we met (and I'm not just talking pocket change), and sometimes we'd even take homeless people to the diner and buy them a hot meal. But most companies don't care about that and would look at me funny if I mentioned that on a resume. Don't lecture me on greek organizations. It's just Fe bullshit designed to give their members preferential treatment and a built-in network of contacts when they head off into the real world. It doesn't actually say anything about job candidates' true character, it just shows they're good at pretending to be decent people. Really good people don't need organizations like that to go out and do good things in the world. Fi rant over
You seem to have something against fraternities and sororities, plus many misconceptions. You are also missing my point. The main reason for including participation in these groups - or any groups - on a resume is to demonstrate leadership, initiative, and accomplishment, not character or compassion.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You seem to have something against fraternities and sororities, plus many misconceptions. You are also missing my point. The main reason for including participation in these groups - or any groups - on a resume is to demonstrate leadership, initiative, and accomplishment, not character or compassion.

As stated before, I went to a college where over half of the student population was involved in Greek organizations. I can tell you that these organizations neither helped develop leadership or character. They excelled at throwing raging parties and setting their members up with solid connections when they went off into the real world. They're at heart elitist societies designed to help their own members get a leg up in the world, regardless of whether or not those members show any initiative or possess good leadership qualities.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As stated before, I went to a college where over half of the student population was involved in Greek organizations. I can tell you that these organizations neither helped develop leadership or character. They excelled at throwing raging parties and setting their members up with solid connections when they went off into the real world. They're at heart elitist societies designed to help their own members get a leg up in the world, regardless of whether those members have good leadership qualities.
And I went to a college with no Greek organizations. Throughout my career, though, I have run into many people, both personally and by reputation, who had some significant formative experience in one of these organizations. They may still be a minority of job applicants (say 10%?), but: (1) they should not have to exclude this experience merely to avoid revealing gender, race, etc. and (2) this says nothing about the many other organizations young job seekers or even older ones are involved in, that have a legitimate place on resumes, and would undercut the strategy or removing names to hide demographic information. That has been my point all this time. Discussing the merits and nature of Greek organizations is a derail.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And I went to a college with no Greek organizations. Throughout my career, though, I have run into many people, both personally and by reputation, who had some significant formative experience in one of these organizations. They may still be a minority of job applicants (say 10%?), but: (1) they should not have to exclude this experience merely to avoid revealing gender, race, etc. and (2) this says nothing about the many other organizations young job seekers or even older ones are involved in, that have a legitimate place on resumes, and would undercut the strategy or removing names to hide demographic information. That has been my point all this time. Discussing the merits and nature of Greek organizations is a derail.

I think even non-Greek organizations are overrated, their importance overstated. True good-doers and leaders don't need organizations. They go out and live their principles and values. We live in a society that devalues introversion and how introverted people function in the world.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think even non-Greek organizations are overrated, their importance overstated. True good-doers and leaders don't need organizations. They go out and live their principles and values. We live in a society that devalues introversion and how introverted people function in the world.

And who are those leaders going to lead if there are no organizations ?

Organizations are simply necessary if you really want to get something done in the big picture. However that also requires that people there are not snobs that only care about their quick profit and fame.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And who are those leaders going to lead if there are no organizations ?

Organizations are simply necessary if you really want to get something done in the big picture. However that also requires that people there are not snobs that only care about their quick profit and fame.

temporary organizations. or more fluid movements lacking a strong institution-like structure. they need to be formed and deconstructed as necessary. organizations that stick around tend to become bloated and poorly run behemoth institutions over time. then hierarchy and cash flow becomes more important than the actual mission.

even initially well-intentioned organizations tend to become bloated and corrupt over time. The NRA is a good example. originally started with the purpose of better educating Union Army veterans on how to use and maintain their rifles (good knowledge in a time when owning a rifle was a necessity if you lived anywhere rural). Or some feminist organizations, though I really don't want to go down that road too much right now.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Organizations magnify the impact that a good leader can have, by providing readily available resources - people, money, connections - that can be leveraged to achieve a goal. A good leader can also be the one to start such an organization. Either way, one can usually accomplish much more by leading and motivating a team than acting simply as an individual. When people do make a significant impact as individuals, it is often because many people choose to follow their example, whether within or outside of an actual organizational structure. Introversion and leadership are neither mutually exclusive, nor incompatible.

temporary organizations. or more fluid movements lacking a strong institution-like structure. they need to be formed and deconstructed as necessary. organizations that stick around tend to become bloated and poorly run behemoth institutions over time. then hierarchy and cash flow becomes more important than the actual mission.

even initially well-intentioned organizations tend to become bloated and corrupt over time. The NRA is a good example. originally started with the purpose of better educating Union Army veterans on how to use and maintain their rifles (good knowledge in a time when owning a rifle was a necessity if you lived anywhere rural). Or some feminist organizations, though I really don't want to go down that road too much right now.
Organizations are no better than the people in them, and can be corrupt or demonstrate integrity; can be ineffective and lose relevance, or can change with the times and keep contributing. They are also like people in that if they have no track record, it is hard to ask for support. The League of Women Voters is a good example of an established organization that is neither bloated nor corrupt, and continues to follow its original mission of voter education, responsible government, and civic engagement. People give their time and money to the League because of its long track record of commitment and accomplishment and its well-earned reputation, in a way that they might not give to a new or ad hoc organization.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

If that is your mindset then it is better that you don't even try to establish medicare for all. Because in order to do it right that requires quite a bit of organization, legislation, institutions, close cooperation, taxation, research, ban of all kinds of recreational drugs, clean up of food quality laws, .... etc. Something you just can't improvise on the go.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If that is your mindset then it is better that you don't even try to establish medicare for all. Because in order to do it right that requires quite a bit of organization, legislation, institutions, close cooperation, taxation, research, ban of all kinds of recreational drugs, clean up of food quality laws, .... etc. Something you just can't improvise on the go.

I mean probably the main reason why such systems are in crisis in most of the world is because people don't really have attention span anymore and they want all kinds of lifestyles. What is rising costs and opening holes. Plus in order that this works you probably need free college, which should educate staff that isn't really thinking about profit and that they are in business. This system is good in availability and quality, especially if you are low on money. Plus it requires minimal administrative effort for the end user. However the whole mechanism is quite complex once you take a look behind the curtains, which user usually doesn't penetrate. Therefore Socialized medicine is simply incompatible with any kind of libertarian mindset. Since you just can't improvise all the complexity and mechanisms if you want to set up the system so that it lasts.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Why Europe’s China deal will poison transatlantic relations

This is evidently something that will be on "the menu" for the foreseeable future and there probably wouldn't be easy answers. Even if relations between US,EU and China are basically the skeleton of the current world order. Everything else are basically just details at this point. However with inauguration the new era is evidently starting and things will change, the only real question is how they will change. The easiest solution is that since the deal is fairly unpopular in the EU that it will never be implemented. However that probably wouldn't happen to the full extent and then there will be some half solutions. Especially since EU doesn't want to buy US food since it is evidently bellow it's food standards. Therefore there will probably be plenty of back and forth between the three sides in the incoming years.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
James Comey Says Joe Biden Should Consider Pardoning Donald Trump to Allow U.S. to Heal

Oh, fuck off. This is a terrible idea, and this dipshit is the last person I want to hear it from. I guess this deluded jackass actually thinks pardoning Nixon was a good idea that accomplished something other than enabling and encouraging future presidential criminal shenanigans.

I actually thought it was hilarious when Trump fired him. Super weird I was supposed to be horrified by that.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
James Comey Says Joe Biden Should Consider Pardoning Donald Trump to Allow U.S. to Heal

Oh, fuck off. This is a terrible idea, and this dipshit is the last person I want to hear it from. I guess this deluded jackass actually thinks pardoning Nixon was a good idea that accomplished something other than enabling and encouraging future presidential criminal shenanigans.

I actually thought it was hilarious when Trump fired him. Super weird I was supposed to be horrified by that.

We absolutely need to heal/ things are really f*cked up, but pardoning him definitely isn't the route, like at all.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We absolutely need to heal, but pardoning him definitely isn't the route, like at all.

To me it's rich coming from a guy whose incompetence and poor judgement helped give Trump the presidency in the first place. But I guess I'm supposed to ignore all that and feel sad for him because Trump fired him.