• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Biden Administration

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
And it beginnnnns. I can't name a more iconic duo than conservative voters and bailing out their politicians who continually vote against the interests of their constituencies -- it is like watching an abused spouse continually make excuses for their abuser.

First off, I've heard several people to far talk about all the "pork" in the bill (they don't even know what is actually in the bill, just that only a portion of the bill went to actual direct checks, yet don't pay attention to the enhanced unemployment benefits) being the reason who no Republicans voted for it.

How it is a "blue state bailout" bill (nevermind that most of the biggest recipients of federal aid are deep Red states). Yadda yadda, ect. It is quite frustrating to be in the midst of so many low information parrots spouting off snippets of things that serve to reinforce their original political narrative without having done any independent research.

If Republicans were so interested in providing stimulus, why did Mitch McConnell not even allow the standalone $2,000 bill to even come to a vote? That was the most united the Republican party has been to move away from Trump is when he proposed $2,000 direct checks.

Why after several attempts to engage in bipartisan negotiations, did Republicans never once care to participate outside of a pitiful $600 billion proposal that they knew was nowhere close in terms of comprehensiveness of Biden's proposal?

It is just frustrating to listen to so many people that don't do the research tout their political opinions. I feel trapped in some mass Dunning-Kruger social experiment. Things would be much better for everyone if both sides could incorporate a bit more objectivity in how they assess things related to politicals and political affiliation.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
And it beginnnnns. I can't name a more iconic duo than conservative voters and bailing out their politicians who continually vote against the interests of their constituencies -- it is like watching an abused spouse continually make excuses for their abuser.

First off, I've heard several people to far talk about all the "pork" in the bill (they don't even know what is actually in the bill, just that only a portion of the bill went to actual direct checks, yet don't pay attention to the enhanced unemployment benefits) being the reason who no Republicans voted for it.

How it is a "blue state bailout" bill (nevermind that most of the biggest recipients of federal aid are deep Red states). Yadda yadda, ect. It is quite frustrating to be in the midst of so many low information parrots spouting off snippets of things that serve to reinforce their original political narrative without having done any independent research.

If Republicans were so interested in providing stimulus, why did Mitch McConnell not even allow the standalone $2,000 bill to even come to a vote? That was the most united the Republican party has been to move away from Trump is when he proposed $2,000 direct checks.

Why after several attempts to engage in bipartisan negotiations, did Republicans never once care to participate outside of a pitiful $600 billion proposal that they knew was nowhere close in terms of comprehensiveness of Biden's proposal?

It is just frustrating to listen to so many people that don't do the research tout their political opinions. I feel trapped in some mass Dunning-Kruger social experiment. Things would be much better for everyone if both sides could incorporate a bit more objectivity in how they assess things related to politicals and political affiliation.

If you voted no on the bill, you don't get to have any further discussion/debate on the matter, imo.

Sure it's loaded with pork. Like this...

$86 billion for a rescue package/bailout for approximately 185 multiemployer pension funds (usually pension plans set up by a union and industry) that are close to insolvency. The pension funds collectively cover 10.7 million workers.

$28.6 billion for a new grant program for restaurants and bars to meet payroll and other expenses. Individual businesses will be eligible for $5 million each.

Up to $25 billion[65] in aid to renters with unpaid debts to landlords;[3] utility assistance funding; homelessness prevention funding.

Extends a 15% increase in food stamp benefits (the increase, passed in previous rounds of stimulus; was set to expire at the end of June 2021; the bill extends it through September 2021). I would like to see SNAP benefits increased permanently and the income thresholds raised significantly as well as inclusion of things like diapers, paper household supplies, feminine hygiene items plus CSA memberships. But this is a pet issue of mine as the program is crazy successful.

$350 billion to help state, local, and tribal governments bridge budget shortfalls and mitigate the fiscal shock

$130 billion for K-12 schools, to safely reopen most schools within 100 days.

The money for K-12 schools may be used to improve ventilation in school buildings, reduce class sizes to make social distancing possible, purchase personal protective equipment, and hire support staff.

The only way out of all of this is unprecedented engagement of Americans in the civic and political process. And a militant labor movement. Educate yourself and get involved because the D's and R's are counting on your apathy - it's worked tremendously well for them up to now.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
People will blame Biden of all kinds of things where he is guilty or not guilty but when you take a look at houses of individual states you will quickly realize that the country is in red landslide on that level (feel free to click on individual states for details). Therefore if that is how the actual logistics works of course that you can't change anything in a progressive way. Since the main mass of the cake is red, even if we don't count democrats that aren't really democrats in mindset. What returns us to the "they are all the same" claims. Since that directly turns away the normal people a gives more power to the most partisan ones (what gives advantages to those who have most of these). Therefore if you are so eager to find targets to bash you should find these on the local level. Especially since you can always try to increase the majority of your party since that makes it easier to pass things, or you can try to replace bad apples that can cost you down the road. After all on the local level you will have much bigger odds of having the effect and you know the area and it's problems. People think that the government of the people will happen if they show up on the election day every few years but I am afraid that this requires a little bit more effort and practical involvement.

I live in Illinois, which is one of the blue house areas. I guess I look at Lori Lightfoot and I have some skepticism in the idea that all we need is to elect Democrats. Lightfoot, for example, gave a large chunk of Covid relief money to the police in a year when there were massive protests about police accountability.

Lightfoot doesn't really have Republicans obstructing her, this is what she actually wants to do.

I do however really like our Democratic governor.

I do think it's important to focus on local issues and this is what I've been dipping my toes into.

Jaguar

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I live in Illinois, which is one of the blue house areas. I guess I look at Lori Lightfoot and I have some skepticism in the idea that all we need is to elect Democrats Lightfoot, for example, gave a large chunk of Covid relief money to the police in a year when there were massive protests about police accountability.

Lightfoot doesn't really have Republicans obstructing her, this is what she actually wants to do.

I do however really like our Democratic governor. I do think it's important to focus on local issues and this is what I'm looking to do.

I know from where you are since you already made that public. But even in pretty blue states a man can find people around local landscape that should probably be voted out. Plus even in such states there is still a decent amount of red around, which can perhaps be vulnerable in certain parts if locals take matters into their hands. After all you can tilt the federal House simply by making blue states bluer (the same in reverse works for "team red"). I am simply saying that local levels down the ballot often get overlooked, especially in smaller places. While this is actually the real boots on the ground battleground.

But here is how your state looks map wise after the elections.

Illinois 2020 election results

I mean for me this is still quite red, especially if we judge by surface area. Therefore just having a blue majority on it's own isn't enough. Since you need to have very blue landscape to tackle big issues like climate change. You can't really aim for zero emissions if you have this many areas from "science skeptics" party. Simply a larger tilt is needed. I mean in my place this isn't that much of a problem since my right is quite to the left by American standards. However in your case you need to get things more blue in order to start some larger transformations (which you personally want). I mean since you don't have a multi party system you don't have a mindset of phasing out parties and replacing them completely (or forcing a major transformation of the party). For example the coalition which seems that it will take my city didn't even exist a year ago, while current ruling party looks at the abyss and disappearance (not just temporary defeat). However this transformative approach is what is actually needed, not just a simply majority. Since the population itself has to shift the mindset for true changes. What is generally done best and easiest on the local level.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There you go, you have defined yourself a goal on which to act.

Thanks for this clarity. It is easy to get tunnel vision, and having an outside perspective helps, especially if it is free of many of the unanalyzed assumptions of American political discourse.

The situation in places like Michigan or Texas, for instance, is different than Illinois, (which I have the potential to appreciate because I grew up in a state that is more like Michigan politically), and I think that should be an important thing to keep in mind when I discuss national politics. I will try to hold down my contrarian impulses if I can.

Jaguar

But while you’ve probably heard plenty about the subsidy checks and the extension of unemployment benefits, the bill is full of provisions that could have significant or even transformative effects on the country, many of which have gotten little or no attention:

The child tax credit. For the next year, the bill increases the child tax credit and makes more of it “refundable,” which means that more people with very low incomes will be able to get that credit as a refund even if they’re paying little or nothing in taxes. It will also send the child tax credit to families on a monthly basis, rather than having it as something they might or might not get as a lump sum after filing their taxes.
This measure will have a huge impact. According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, “The proposal would lift 4.1 million children above the poverty line — cutting the number of children in poverty by more than 40 percent.”

The Earned Income Tax Credit. The bill expands the EITC for childless low-income workers; 17 million of them could see a boost in their after-tax income.

Student loan debt. Under current law, if you have outstanding student loan debt that is canceled, the IRS treats your forgiven debt as income, which can result in a huge tax bill. Millions of borrowers on repayment plans pay a set portion of their income every month, and after 20 years the remaining balance is forgiven. The ARP would make that kind of loan forgiveness tax-free, and it would also apply to future loan forgiveness the Biden administration might undertake.

Source: WAPO

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But while you’ve probably heard plenty about the subsidy checks and the extension of unemployment benefits, the bill is full of provisions that could have significant or even transformative effects on the country, many of which have gotten little or no attention:

The child tax credit. For the next year, the bill increases the child tax credit and makes more of it “refundable,” which means that more people with very low incomes will be able to get that credit as a refund even if they’re paying little or nothing in taxes. It will also send the child tax credit to families on a monthly basis, rather than having it as something they might or might not get as a lump sum after filing their taxes.
This measure will have a huge impact. According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, “The proposal would lift 4.1 million children above the poverty line — cutting the number of children in poverty by more than 40 percent.”

The Earned Income Tax Credit. The bill expands the EITC for childless low-income workers; 17 million of them could see a boost in their after-tax income.

Student loan debt. Under current law, if you have outstanding student loan debt that is canceled, the IRS treats your forgiven debt as income, which can result in a huge tax bill. Millions of borrowers on repayment plans pay a set portion of their income every month, and after 20 years the remaining balance is forgiven. The ARP would make that kind of loan forgiveness tax-free, and it would also apply to future loan forgiveness the Biden administration might undertake.

Source: WAPO

I like the news about the student loan debt. although I don't think I'll benefit from it because I'll probably have paid off what I have from grad school by then. (Which is fine; it's not something I personally need.)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Thanks for this clarity. It is easy to get tunnel vision, and having an outside perspective helps, especially if it is free of many of the unanalyzed assumptions of American political discourse.

The situation in places like Michigan or Texas, for instance, is different than Illinois, (which I have the potential to appreciate because I grew up in a state that is more like Michigan politically), and I think that should be an important thing to keep in mind when I discuss national politics. I will try to hold down my contrarian impulses if I can.

Well the thing is that current administration has to fight at the same time: the pandemic, the new great depression, the low intensity civil war, new cold war and climate change. Therefore I just think that at this point it is unfair to just trash people at the top for the sake of your own fears. Constructive criticism ok, but just straight up trashing and "playing" with fact, no. Especially since if this administration fails in any of those fights it is basically the end of the world as we know it (and that includes people abroad as well). Therefore if people really have energy they should focus it at local levels and start cleaning the bad apples there.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm guessing the success of Sanders in Nevada is having other benefits here.

I love that they talked about their opposition being "divisive" and ran on a campaign of "unity" and then quit and refused to work with them when things didn't work out as they thought.

lol Yes and I think it's pretty obvious who the obstruction is. But this kind of shit goes on in all the state level Dem parties. We have a "Unity" slate here too, all libs all terrified of progress. But the only way to change things is to get in and change them. That's exactly what happened in NV.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm guessing the success of Sanders in Nevada is having other benefits here.

I love that they talked about their opposition being "divisive" and ran on a campaign of "unity" and then quit and refused to work with them when things didn't work out as they thought.

This can be a little bit of a "Chicken and egg" debate. Was this due to him of was his win because local politics shifted (and there is no simple answer to that if you get at the bottom of things).

However this Nevada thing is kinda what I had in mind when I said that people should put more focus and effort into local topics and dynamic. Because if in plenty of places things change locally that will change things on the federal level, even in the case that same people stay in power there. Since local defines implementation and that shifts what is possible or even desired out there in the field. Since the bulk of the government are actually local levels.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This can be a little bit of a "Chicken and egg" debate. Was this due to him of was his win because local politics shifted (and there is no simple answer to that if you get at the bottom of things)

However this Nevada thing is kinda what I had in mind when I said that people should put more focus and effort into local topics and dynamic. Because if in plenty of places things change locally that will change things on the federal level, even in the case that same people stay in power there. Since local defines implementation and that shifts what is possible or even desired out there in the field. Since the bulk of the government are actually local levels.

Believe it or not, I did find out about an an anti-Lightfoot campaign (based on the misuse of the CARES act money that I mentioned earlier) that I plan to participate in.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Believe it or not, I did find out about an an anti-Lightfoot campaign (based on the misuse of the CARES act money that I mentioned earlier) that I plan to participate in.

To tell you the truth I don't have a problem believing this. Really bad apples usually already have a group of people that is after them, however that group of people usually doesn't have the numbers to close the story. What is kinda why being active locally actually matters and is likely to have concrete effects. The more people are involved the less likely is that there will be all kinds of shenanigans.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It seems that very old red senator from Iowa perhaps would run for the re-election. What means that one more red incumbent perhaps wouldn't be there in 2022.