• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The 2016 Healthy Habits Thread

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Bought an Instant Pot in an effort to cook at home more. Damn I love this thing! Favorite thing in it so far is dirty rice, but it's easy to cook frozen chicken breasts any number of ways in a short time. Planning to make non-fried "fried rice" in it tonight.

I love my instant pot my mom is now looking at them in order to get rid of some of the appliances that are taking up room like the slow cooker and rice cooker in the kitchen. also i just got a kitty and apparently her favorite place to hide while vacuuming is behind the instant pot. even though there's like 3 better places to hide. she thinks her stove top pressure cooker works better than the instant pot one but that's because the pressure for the stove top one is higher. she hasn't decided which one to get she was like i'm gonna buy one then realized there's all different versions and is now deciding which one would be right for her.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My boyfriend asked me to stretch with him?! Whaaaat?! :D I love it! A great stretch session before bed last night.

Chia seeds are needed from the market to make a baller peach pie.

- Pie crust, any kind
- Peaches, washed and sliced
- Some coconut sugar + honey to taste, I'm gonna put in 1/4 cup total.
- A touch of almond extract
- some salt and pats of butter.

Bake the crust as normal, let it cool, then add the ingredients all mixed together and stick the pats of butter on top sprinkled around and let the oven heat up to 400 degrees and pop it in for 45 minutes.

Cereal and shrimp tacos with avocado on the menu for today, and some leftover beef-mushroom stir-fry + rice for dinner.

Gotta plan out some meals for the work week to come.. I'm thinking defrost a pork tenderloin to go with rice and coleslaw for lunch, and make some onigiri with tuna salad for breakfasts and buffalo chicken salad for dinners. I have most of those ingredients already, just need some seaweed wrap.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]

What about chia seeds makes peach pie better?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]

What about chia seeds makes peach pie better?

They replace all the starch, sugar mixture that normally makes pie nice and gooey. Chia have that gooey texture when soaked.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They replace all the starch, sugar mixture that normally makes pie nice and gooey. Chia have that gooey texture when soaked.
Oh right! I always forget that they have that property. Someday I'll try making chia pudding...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Oh right! I always forget that they have that property. Someday I'll try making chia pudding...

Chia jam is one of my favorite quick-recipes ever. two kinds of fruit, handful each + about a tbsp of chia seeds, blend for a moment until everything is more pureed, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Perfect spread for toast and pancakes that you can really pile on.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fell off the exercise wagon again. :( After I moved offices and my commute time went from 15 minutes each way to 50 minutes each way, I've totally lost my flow. Not to mention, I've been incredibly stressed with work, and all my good habits tend to fall apart when I'm stressed.

Going to try to get back into the rhythm of things this week. Fingers crossed.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

ok question you probably know the answer to are chia seeds the same seeds in chia pets and how was it figured out you could eat them and they had benefits?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
ok question you probably know the answer to are chia seeds the same seeds in chia pets and how was it figured out you could eat them and they had benefits?

:laugh: Yes, they are the exact same seeds!

Far as I can remember reading, Aztecs ate them pretty frequently. We've sort of always knew they were good-for-you foods, like most edible seeds, but marketing and a renewed interest in health sort of converged together to get these guys from pottery-novelty to supermodel food.

And now, with cooking blogs galore, we've really unlocked a lot of useful ways to side-step a lot of processed foods with them.. Puddings and gooey-creamy-textures used to be the job of flour or cornstarch and effort.. chia seeds are pretty effortless and pack a nutritional punch. :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
:laugh: Yes, they are the exact same seeds!

Far as I can remember reading, Aztecs ate them pretty frequently. We've sort of always knew they were good-for-you foods, like most edible seeds, but marketing and a renewed interest in health sort of converged together to get these guys from pottery-novelty to supermodel food.

And now, with cooking blogs galore, we've really unlocked a lot of useful ways to side-step a lot of processed foods with them.. Puddings and gooey-creamy-textures used to be the job of flour or cornstarch and effort.. chia seeds are pretty effortless and pack a nutritional punch. :)

I was actually talking to my mom about how major recessions often change the diet and how the great depression changed it i read an article about it i'll have to find it. but the current one has made us move away from processed foods where the great depression moved us towards it that we're more grain and legume focused when trying to eat for cheap. that our generation is more health conscious than previous ones and kind of interesting to see how what we eat has changed in the last 20 years. sure we still eat a lot of the same stuff
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] Creamed, Canned And Frozen: How The Great Depression Revamped U.S. Diets : The Salt : NPR

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've never tried the chia seeds- do they dissolve or do you still have little crunchy seeds in whatever you're eating?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've never tried the chia seeds- do they dissolve or do you still have little crunchy seeds in whatever you're eating?

It depends.. Whole, they tend to have this odd little texture of being there but being both mushy and soft yet its own whole piece still. Blended up in the jam I described, you don't really notice it, but like all small seeds they tend to need a good rinse of your mouth after eating to dislodge all the little pieces. They don't quite dissolve.. it just produces a very soft jelly-like substance all around it when absorbing water.

Also, getting them from a Mexican-style market is going to be cheaper than buying them at a regular grocery.. though my walmart here in NC seems to carry the mexican-brand in little try-em-out sachets for $1 a piece. Which is perfect, since you rarely need more than a tbsp or two for a recipe.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Kyu's guide to a quick, efficient 25 minute work out. 25 minutes you get a warm up and some cardio, a complete work out for the body segment of your choice, and a complete cool down.

- Warm up with one fitness marshall video, such as this one:

An easy way to make this work out longer and more challenging is to pick a more high-energy FM video, like "pound the alarm" for example.

- 10 minute work out in your body segment of choice. Literally, just type in "fitness blender 10 minute" and tons will show up. They've got cardio, abs, arms, lower body, you name it they got it. This one is upper body, and it's very awesomely challenging in 10 minutes.. if you think you're weak in your arms, 10 minutes could very well be almost enough.

- 10 minutes of cool down and stretch. I definitely believe in stretching as much as you work out, much as I hate to do it. If you type FB stretch cool down in, you'll also come up with tons of results, and you can pick one a little longer or shorter.

They also have an incredible 3-day flexibility challenge on FB's youtube that lasts for 30 minute segments, so if you want to work out longer but don't want to be toast for work or the day, having a longer stretch session is a great way to be kind to your body.

I've been using this formula for the past week since I'm working 6 12 hour shifts in 7 days. :laugh: It's enough to get a sweat, and a little soreness, but nothing incredibly difficult to manage or too tiring before work.. and also, short on time, which is what I usually am when working.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
That's just how my brain works

I'm a big fan.
img_6883.jpg

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Peach pie I have to say was a total success... It gave me the perfect amount of sweet.

Also, running to work last minute after a super awful night, the next evening my patients gave me a peach and an apple from the farmer's market. :) It made my super boring lunch I didn't have time to dress up earlier much nicer!

With the exception of one night, in the past year, I have not eaten out for lunch at all. It's all been hand-made home-cooked food, or free food. I'm pretty proud of that... It's easy to get dazzled by everyone's dinners when everyone but you orders out...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I forget if I mentioned that I joined a climbing gym? Because I joined a climbing gym. Doing so is directly opposed to Mustachianism but learning how to rock climb is, in general, directly opposed to Mustachianism, and I have room for climbing in my budget, so w/e.

I've been bouldering very irregularly for the past 6 months -- about once a month, and recently upped to twice a month. Either paying the entrance fee or using my INTP climbing buddy's monthly guest pass. Doing that and HIIT on the side has meant that I've made very rapid gains in that time, even though I've only been once a month. When I first bouldered, I couldn't even get halfway up the simplest V0 in the gym, and INTP climbing buddy told me that I should consider starting with lead climbing instead, because bouldering in general might be too hard for me. Now V0s are mostly easy for me, and I can do simple-ish V1s, with the caveat that my footwork is much more advanced than my core and shoulder strength, so I'm not great at overhangs.

Also, for the first time since, I dunno, middle school, I actually have arm and shoulder muscle definition. :pumpyouup: So that's pretty awesome.

Now I just need to go climbing regularly enough for the monthly fees to be cost-efficient, relative to paying the non-member entrance fee. I think 1-2x/week should do it -- with the second weekly trip being either a complimentary fitness class or a complimentary yoga class. Depending on how hard those are.

[MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] Yet another twin quality showing itself!