• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars 9

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You really don't think fan complaints about the prequel trilogy had anything to do with how the Force Awakens was made?

I do. But the filmmakers made the mistake of assuming that meant fans just wanted a new hope. They failed to understand that the biggest points of contention with the PT were poorly written characters and gratuitous fan service Easter eggs and lots of flashy action. The irony is the how sequels repeat the very sins of the prequels despite attempts to avoid them

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, the prequels also had crappy dialogue, there were more issues than just those. It's funny that the earliest reviews of Phantom Menace actually kept complimenting the great visuals and action, and I think critics with name recognition (Peter Travers, I think, was one?) was saying good stuff about the PM. Then it totally got slogged.

If we're bothering with RT scores, TFA got a 93% or something, and in the 80% range from the fans; and TLJ got a 91% with a 40% range from the fans (some of which was haters/trolls, admittedly).

I think it's ludicrous to compare the overall ranks of the prequels with these sequels, are we really forgetting how awful the prequels were especially in terms of the scripts? THe only one with some value was Revenge of the Sith, and frankly it is a film that should have been a lot better than it was -- it was the thematic conclusion to Anakin and derived power from that, but man just think about how good it COULD have been with decent writers. I would easily put TFA and TLJ in a different tier (one that we could label "coherent'), even if we can argue about whether TFA should have been more original than it was.

(For RT comparison: PM = 53/59% ; AotC = 65/56%; and RotS = 80/66%)

So right now, TRoS is simply dropped into the middle of the first two prequels as far as the critic reviews (and the other two sequel films significantly higher); I guess we'll see an audience assessment in about two weeks once enough scores trickle in, since they do "verified scores" now... you have to confirm you paid for a ticket and your viewing date is past.

----

I don't really hang out on fan sites. I think that mentality would drive me nuts. If I were writing TLJ, making Rey "normal" is something I would have done -- that's the kind of convention breaking I appreciate. (my issues were other things -- and maybe to discuss later, but I think this whole "collaborative" effort in the trilogy has been a failure, esp if Abrams walks back / subverts stuff that Johnson did blatantly, and of course Johnson did the same to Abrams... they really should have had a cohesive vision for the entire trilogy ahead of time, not this "fighting for control" of the narrative and throwing each other curve balls. If it's one big story arc, then the directors should have been on the same page and tweaked their pieces to mesh. Or make a conscious agreement to not just trash each other's threads but to respect and REASONABLY incorporate elements as team players...)

--

It looks like TRoS soundtrack dropped on Spotify today. I'm listening to it, but not reading the track titles.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do. But the filmmakers made the mistake of assuming that meant fans just wanted a new hope. They failed to understand that the biggest points of contention with the PT were poorly written characters and gratuitous fan service Easter eggs and lots of flashy action. The irony is the how sequels repeat the very sins of the prequels despite attempts to avoid them

Plinkett and others went on and on about how he didn't want space politics. In TFA, we learn that there's a New Republic and then it's immediately blown up without anyone bothering to explain why there was a Resistance before that happen. Not saying we necessarily need to hear about trade disputes (although to be honest it's kind of blown out of proportion), but even ANH had a little bit of "space politics" and it's a better movie for it. There's talk about how the Senate has been dissolved, and how there's an Emperor, and a cover story about a diplomatic mission. It's not a lot, but it's enough to make you curious about how the world works and give the story some sense of coherency, thus giving you a good enough idea of why a Rebellion exists in the first place.

It was a major fail to not bother to set up why the central factions are fighting in the first place.

I'd argue that criticism of how boring it was that these movies were about space politics and were too CG heavy were at least as common as complaints about writing and acting, if not more so.

I think it's ludicrous to compare the overall ranks of the prequels with these sequels, are we really forgetting how awful the prequels were especially in terms of the scripts?

People are though! I think some of it is people who grew up with the prequels, but some of it is seems to be hopping on the "it's new so it's the worst thing EVAR" bandwagon.

THe only one with some value was Revenge of the Sith, and frankly it is a film that should have been a lot better than it was -- it was the thematic conclusion to Anakin and derived power from that, but man just think about how good it COULD have been with decent writers. I would easily put TFA and TLJ in a different tier (one that we could label "coherent'), even if we can argue about whether TFA should have been more original than it was.

I rated Revenge of the Sith lower than TPM it was because the gap between what it was and what it could have been was so great, and it's hard for me to let that go. At least Luke or Han didn't "lose the will to live" when they died.

The acting in the sequels is so much better, too.

I don't really hang out on fan sites. I think that mentality would drive me nuts. If I were writing TLJ, making Rey "normal" is something I would have done -- that's the kind of convention breaking I appreciate. (my issues were other things -- and maybe to discuss later, but I think this whole "collaborative" effort in the trilogy has been a failure, esp if Abrams walks back / subverts stuff that Johnson did blatantly, and of course Johnson did the same to Abrams... they really should have had a cohesive vision for the entire trilogy ahead of time, not this "fighting for control" of the narrative and throwing each other curve balls. If it's one big story arc, then the directors should have been on the same page and tweaked their pieces to mesh. Or make a conscious agreement to not just trash each other's threads but to respect and REASONABLY incorporate elements as team players...)

I think I'm probably going to end up agreeing with you on that when all this is done, if the reviews are at all accurate.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I finished the soundtrack earlier. I think I liked "The Force Awakens" soundtrack the best of the three in this series, but mainly it's because it added new elements (like the First Order march, which I think is cool). There's a LITTLE bit of new themes in TRoS but most of it is just a rework of themes starting in TFA or from other SW trilogies.

With the end credit sequences, I really like the end of TFA; the end of TRoS harkens back to the regular SW theme from ANH, so it's kind of predictable -- but hell, I expected that because it's capping 9 films and of course it is going to go out with a bang using the original theme to send it back to the starting point. However, I really like the very ending, with the brass using lush versions of the chords... really beautiful sound.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I finished the soundtrack earlier. I think I liked "The Force Awakens" soundtrack the best of the three in this series, but mainly it's because it added new elements (like the First Order march, which I think is cool). There's a LITTLE bit of new themes in TRoS but most of it is just a rework of themes starting in TFA or from other SW trilogies.

With the end credit sequences, I really like the end of TFA; the end of TRoS harkens back to the regular SW theme from ANH, so it's kind of predictable -- but hell, I expected that because it's capping 9 films and of course it is going to go out with a bang using the original theme to send it back to the starting point. However, I really like the very ending, with the brass using lush versions of the chords... really beautiful sound.

Does it use Duel of the Fates?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haha it's sitting at 59%... can it ever break 60%??
Does it use Duel of the Fates?

I don't think it's caught in there, but I'll be listening again.

I haven't listened to the prequel music recently but yeah DotF is the most memorable theme from there to me.

----

Man, I so badly wanted a harp run on the very last note. Alas. I can almost hear it. Maybe it's cheesy, but it would have sounded cool.

John Williams Puts Coda on ‘Star Wars’ With ‘Rise of Skywalker’ Score – Variety

He definitely has his thumbprint on the franchise. It's his musical footprint. 9 films.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think it's caught in there, but I'll be listening again.

I was looking for it and couldn't find it, which is unfortunate because hearing that in the trailers was only good part of those.

Damn. It would be great to have it bookend the series like that.

It's a missed opportunity, just like Rey not using a saberstaff after the old one is destroyed. The only thing "special" about that blade was that it was Luke's father's blade, and he used it when he has a mistaken idea of who his father was. It's the same blade he used to kick off the Jedi purge. It's not as though it's a perfect for the heroic resurgence of the Jedi. The only reason it would even be "special" enough for Rey to repair it instead of making a new one would be if she's a (groan) Skywalker.

It feels like the reason the blade keeps popping up is not because the symbolism really fits or because it particularly makes sense in terms of the story, but just because they want to make a callback movie to the two Star Wars movies everyone likes. I wonder if we're even going to get an explanation of how that blade was found in this one (probably not).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just walked out of the theater.

Absolutely dumbfounded.

What the f*cking hell.

Edit: yeah, I agree with Scott.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just walked out of the theater.

Absolutely dumbfounded.

What the f*cking hell.

Edit: yeah, I agree with Scott.

I read some leaks a month or two ago, and thought "if that's legit, this sounds like a mess." At least some of the stuff in the leaks seems supported by the trailers.

I went on reddit and checked the megathread in the SW subreddit. In addition to the spoilers, which confirmed some of my biggest fears (although not sticking exactly to the leak), the most striking thing about this is how negative the reaction seems to be. I recall very little way in the way of positive comments beyond jokes about characters hooking up. Which is unique. Usually there's a vocal contingent of defenders and attackers. Of course, I usually haven't checked opening night feedback, but the prequels had their defenders.

I've thought a few weeks ago that what Star Wars needs to do is just move away from the established characters and focus on new ones in new situation. The things that have done that have been pretty well received. Rogue One (more or less) and the Mandalorian seem to be pretty well-liked by most people. i think it helps that they don't have the "baggage" of having a legacy; they're not defined by the past so I think that helps people appreciate them for what they are.

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the criticism against Rise of Skywalker is unfair.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I typically like Abrams' films (I know you guys don't, as much, if at all), and I thought aside from cribbing "A new Hope" (which was the big flaw), he still put TFA together with a good sense of pace, defining character well, setting tone and mood well. It's something I like about him -- I like Mission Impossible 3, I like most of Super 8 (and some of it's inert), etc.

But damn, this felt like the work of an amateur and a spaghetti mess. His STRENGTHS weren't even that readily apparent, much of the time. Did he actually direct this film? How did the script get written? Why did anyone greenlight this script? I'm just shocked -- it's just like Scott said, in terms of his original expectation, and how this film surpassed it in the negative direction.l

Like, honestly, please feel free to go enjoy it -- I know I had a really bad reaction to it. So if you can enjoy it, please do. I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say.

I really feel like I have to apologize for griping about Rian Johnson, though. I'd rather have something more like The Last Jedi than this.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
It's kinda hard to fuck up a new idea. No one's done it yet so who knows if theyre doing it wrong or not. :shrug:

The Cat

Staff member
Well, I typically like Abrams' films (I know you guys don't, as much, if at all), and I thought aside from cribbing "A new Hope" (which was the big flaw), he still put TFA together with a good sense of pace, defining character well, setting tone and mood well. It's something I like about him -- I like Mission Impossible 3, I like most of Super 8 (and some of it's inert), etc.

But damn, this felt like the work of an amateur and a spaghetti mess. His STRENGTHS weren't even that readily apparent, much of the time. Did he actually direct this film? How did the script get written? Why did anyone greenlight this script? I'm just shocked -- it's just like Scott said, in terms of his original expectation, and how this film surpassed it in the negative direction.l

Like, honestly, please feel free to go enjoy it -- I know I had a really bad reaction to it. So if you can enjoy it, please do. I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say.

I really feel like I have to apologize for griping about Rian Johnson, though. I'd rather have something more like The Last Jedi than this.

The man plays keyboard like a god. He's got a pass in my book.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, here are some random spoilers.

Did Abrams retcon any of The Last Jedi?

Does Rey have nobody parents? Or is she from significant lineage?

Do Poe/Finn shippers have anything to be excited about?

Does Hux feature prominently in this film?

Do we find out who Snoke is?

Is Phasma really dead?

Do Kylo and Rey hook up in the end?

What's up with C3PO?

Does the film open well?

Does the film end well?

How does Leia fit into this?

Does the film ever explain why Palpatine is alive?

what is Palpatine's plan?

How do the rebels beat Palpatine's fleet?

what were your favorite parts of the film?

What was the audience response in my theater?

Any interesting cameos?

Also, Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver are good. I never really fault their performances, and Daisy was pretty new as an actress coming into this franchise. They sell everything as best as they can.

I also found this reddit tonight of leaks about the movie from three months ago -- and it's actually more or less correct. (There's just some occasional details that are off.) In case anyone is interested at some point:
The basic plot of Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker assembled from my sources. : StarWarsLeaks

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's actually not the same leak I read.

I know there are a few out there.

The same page has an extensive description by someone who claimed to see the film before its official release. I read it through. It's about 99% correct, for all intents and purposes. Pretty interesting that these kinds of leaks exist.... Anyway I found it more useful than the wiki page to retouch things I missed. The descriptions can sound more coherent than the actual film as presented.

I tried to prep for not needing to use the bathroom during the film. About an hour in, I actually just got up and went because I no longer cared if I missed anything.

In good news, I did see a trailer for TENET from Christopher Nolan, and a few other upcoming films...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know there are a few out there.

The same page has an extensive description by someone who claimed to see the film before its official release. I read it through. It's about 99% correct, for all intents and purposes. Pretty interesting that these kinds of leaks exist.... Anyway I found it more useful than the wiki page to retouch things I missed. The descriptions can sound more coherent than the actual film as presented.

I tried to prep for not needing to use the bathroom during the film. About an hour in, I actually just got up and went because I no longer cared if I missed anything.

In good news, I did see a trailer for TENET from Christopher Nolan, and a few other upcoming films...

At any rate, I'll post my own take after I see it tomorrow evening... probably with the help of booze.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ – We Need to Talk About This Rose Tico Situation

Edit: I forgot that Chris Terrio wrote Batman Vs. Superman. I forgot the trepidation I had about that. I suppose I'm not wrong to make that comparison.

I remember looking at his credits earlier. He had one good script -- Argo -- and it's a very different film.

I still find the extended version of BvS watchable despite its flaws, since Snyder still lets the scenes breathe some and Goyer was a cowriter. This film feels in part too like there was too much film for the runtime, and Abrams solved this by excising everything in the first hour that could have made the film breathe and/or make more sense. But the problems go beyond that.

It's like Terrio didn't know how to write this kind of film; Kasdan and Arndt had a much better handle on the first one.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While the rebels/resistance kind of forgot about Palpatine, he certainly hasn’t forgotten about them.

I never really had a problem with the general story of TLJ, just the execution of it. I don’t really think retconning was necessary. They should have gone into this trilogy with a better outline.

It’s actually quite a shame, how Johnson made what felt like 2 or 3 good TV episodes someone took and re-edited into a disjointed feature, because I think he would have done better creating a live action series in the universe

The Cat

Staff member
Looks like director spur grapes. How to unmake a movie that kept you from directing a whole trilogy.