• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars 9

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker actor Adam Driver: I think Kylo Ren’s overall journey is interesting | Entertainment News,The Indian Express

Driver said, “JJ Abrams said to me when we met for the first time that I should imagine a journey of a character where it’s almost the opposite of Darth Vader, where Vader starts off as confident, experienced and over the course of three films is chipped away until he’s at his most vulnerable. Abrams had the idea of starting Kylo Ren at his most vulnerable and his most susceptible and gradually having him become more and more hardened with experience and going deeper and deeper into the Dark Side. I liked that idea, and the character has evolved that way. The way J.J. explained it, I really liked playing with—someone who starts as a child almost and becomes a man over the course of three movies.”

Yeah, I like that it's different that way.

I think the other progression is more judeo-christian, we see dark elements as destructive and it has led to a lot of people who don't know how to grapple with and embrace the darker more powerful elements of their soul. There's a danger in embracing dark but typically you never come into your strength as a person and have power to use for good or ill until you explore and accept your own shadow.

The first film, Ben definitely seemed confused and rattled. The second film, he felt like someone moving from late teen years into young adulthood -- his confusion had become resolution, he finally knew what he wanted. But there is still that loneliness, and he realized the sacrifices he'd have to make to get there. Creation is an act of destruction. But it still impacts him. He's almost desperate at one point when asking Rey to join him, and at the end he know she will reject him but it disappoints him when she shuts the door -- he knows he has created a life for himself where he will be alone. He's not weak per se because of it, but it tempers him.

Rey is a Solo. Like Kylo.

Probably something silly like that. Their connection goes beyond shipping and it's like Luke and Leia.

But I kinda am sick of family trees.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Star Wars Reviews: The Buzz Begins
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Early Reactions & Reviews
(this is all just short vague Twitter commentary)

Generally pretty positive but occasional critical comments too. it's basically enough to think it won't be a dismal failure, at least.

I ended up only ever seeing the first trailer + the clip that aired inside one of the games this past weekend (with the trio running through a First Order ship), I decided the less I knew, the better... and it's only two more days.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
My wife and I have tickets to saturday morning.

I know I'm really going to hate it.

The Force Awakens was a much bigger crime to the franchise than The Last Jedi, of which I actually liked (when it came to Kylo/Rey/Luke). So for me, JJ being back for this one was a signal that it was going to be shit.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Kylo/Rey bit was my favorite part of TLJ and I was okay with Luke overall. (I liked the view of him and Ben with different perspectives on the same crux incident as well.)

I'm sorry, it sucks to go into a movie thinking you will probably hate it. I know Abrams tends to be a like/hate kind of thing.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
The Kylo/Rey bit was my favorite part of TLJ and I was okay with Luke overall. (I liked the view of him and Ben with different perspectives on the same crux incident as well.)

I'm sorry, it sucks to go into a movie thinking you will probably hate it. I know Abrams tends to be a like/hate kind of thing.

This makes everything okay.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Star Wars Reviews: The Buzz Begins
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Early Reactions & Reviews
(this is all just short vague Twitter commentary)

Generally pretty positive but occasional critical comments too. it's basically enough to think it won't be a dismal failure, at least.

I ended up only ever seeing the first trailer + the clip that aired inside one of the games this past weekend (with the trio running through a First Order ship), I decided the less I knew, the better... and it's only two more days.

Well, at least they're actual reviews. I saw something a week ago claiming "the first review was in" and it was Richard E. Grant (who is in the movie), saying it was awesome. That definitely doesn't count. I'm pretty sure promoting your movie is part of the job of being in a movie like this. They're not going to say bad things about it before the movie is released to the general public.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaa

get fucked JJ, you hack

LsNNAwK.png

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, it's a shooting gallery out there ROFL
I've seen it range from 56 - 62% so far.
man, as if there wasn't enough political-wise for families to split over during the holidays
I am getting the feeling the pendulum swung back way too far

I had to stop reading the Twitter collections and "user reviews" (like, did all these non-critics REALLY see the film yet?) because they all were either glowy gushy fanboy crap or "DIE DISNEY DISNEY" screes, and no real content from either.

I am more interested in reading the stuff that is more substantial (although it's hard, when you want to avoid spoilers). I only agree with Scott Mendelson (for example) about 50% of the time, but I always get something from reading his critiques regardless.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Yeah, it's a shooting gallery out there ROFL
I've seen it range from 56 - 62% so far.
man, as if there wasn't enough political-wise for families to split over during the holidays
I am getting the feeling the pendulum swung back way too far

I had to stop reading the Twitter collections and "user reviews" (like, did all these non-critics REALLY see the film yet?) because they all were either glowy gushy fanboy crap or "DIE DISNEY DISNEY" screes, and no real content from either.

I am more interested in reading the stuff that is more substantial (although it's hard, when you want to avoid spoilers). I only agree with Scott Mendelson (for example) about 50% of the time, but I always get something from reading his critiques regardless.

oh snap. Sign of the times eesh. whenever this kind of polarizing controversy of a movie happens I know two things right off: It's neither as good; or as bad as any of the reviews claim.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, the review I read suggested it will be much like I feared. Oh well. At least the Battle of Endor Redux will probably look really cool. I assume it will be the visually stunning movie with really frustrating story choices I always anticipated.

The benefit to having low expectations is that I'll probably enjoy myself regardless.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ Yeah, I am now resigning myself to quite the range of reactions -- I might hate it, I might like it, I might think I like it and dislike it more later, etc.

I might have to let it sit after viewing to determine what I really think.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

Did you read Mendelson's?

Alas, J.J. Abrams and Chris Terrio’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is a genuinely bad movie, one that repeats the fatal mistakes of the likes of Spectre, Spider-Man 3 and The Crimes of Grindelwald to end the Skywalker Saga on an all-time low.

The problem with Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker isn’t just that it absolutely walks back a number of potent reveals and plot threads from the last movie, but rather that the 142-minute movie spends almost its entire running time retconning its predecessor and adding painfully conventional “plot twists” and patronizing reversals in the name of mollifying the fans who merely want to be reminded of the first three movies. It inflicts additional damage to the legacy of the first six Star Wars movies. It undermines the previous two “episodes” in the name of giving (some but not all) original-trilogy Star Wars fans a reassuring pat on the head. It even shies away from The Force Awakens’ darker real-world implications. It is so concerned with character reveals and “chase the MacGuffin” plotting that it finds no time for any real character work.

Inject this into my veins.

???

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram

1: THEY FLY NOW!
2: THEY FLY NOW!?
3: THEY FLY NOW

...looks like a good movie.

Anyone like The Mandalorian?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The problem with Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker isn’t just that it absolutely walks back a number of potent reveals and plot threads from the last movie, but rather that the 142-minute movie spends almost its entire running time retconning its predecessor and adding painfully conventional “plot twists” and patronizing reversals in the name of mollifying the fans who merely want to be reminded of the first three movies. It inflicts additional damage to the legacy of the first six Star Wars movies. It undermines the previous two “episodes” in the name of giving (some but not all) original-trilogy Star Wars fans a reassuring pat on the head. It even shies away from The Force Awakens’ darker real-world implications. It is so concerned with character reveals and “chase the MacGuffin” plotting that it finds no time for any real character work.

D'oh. It is indeed proceeding as I have foreseen.

Oh well, at least the fanboys it was trying to jerk off probably will find reasons to hate it anyway.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did you read Mendelson's?

Inject this into my veins.

Yeah I read that part earlier today. I'll read it in full after I see it, to avoid spoilers. I like Scott because he actually explains his thoughts and makes a case for his opinions. I'm definitely worried the film might be truly unsatisfying on a deep level.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
last movie gets a lukewarm reception. blame the fans

new movie gets shitty reviews. blame the fans

What happened to blaming the filmmakers? None of the fans seemed to ask for any of the fan service, just a coherent story that felt like a continuation of the saga

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
last movie gets a lukewarm reception. blame the fans

new movie gets shitty reviews. blame the fans

What happened to blaming the filmmakers? None of the fans seemed to ask for any of the fan service, just a coherent story that felt like a continuation of the saga

Naw, they definitely did ask for fan service, or at least a lot of them . I can't recall how many times I heard someone say Rey has to be a Skywalker because it's the Skywalker saga and the Skywalker bloodline is too important. That would definitely come across at the expense of coherence.

You really don't think fan complaints about the prequel trilogy had anything to do with how the Force Awakens was made?