• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sequels as good or better than the original films

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Huh. I did not have that experience with Austin Powers. Heather Graham was so off, timing-wise, I have trouble watching much of the second one; and the whole Goldmember bits kinda kill the last one, he's not compelling as Fat Bastard, etc. Although it really did have a superb spoof opening for the Mission Impossible ripoff trailer.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be the popular opinion (amongst those I've discussed it with). Powers poking Fred Savage's character's mole with a stick is probably my favorite AP moment.

Lark

I think that Dead Hard with a vengence was a good follow up to the original movie, a good stand alone movie even, but the only one of an increasingly garbage like franchise that was equal to the original.

While I dont like the sequels besides that I did think that some of the content in A Good Day To Die Hard, like all the stuff about a "fire sale", the hacker guys and even when John shoots himself/through himself where all very good, a little better than I think deserved for the sort of movie that sequel turned out to be in the finish.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Kill Bill 2 was as good as the first. The Bride/Elle Driver fight was my favorite of the bunch.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Kill Bill 2 was as good as the first. The Bride/Elle Driver fight was my favorite of the bunch.

Omg SAAAAAAAME :hifive:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm in the minority, but I think the original Alien is better. Ash was a better "human" villain than Burke, who was just another one of James Cameron's cartoonish evil rich guys. I guess Miles Dyson from T2 was maybe the exception, but he was more of an engineer than a businessman or British aristocrat. I also thought they were better at conveying tension with just one creature vs. the many in the sequel. Cameron's movie is good, but Scott's is better.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Ok. This one is gonna be controversial As its both a sequel and a bit of a reboot. Now, to begin Robin Williams makes most of the movies he's in. I do think Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle was a more entertaining film. The only way it could have been better is if Robin Williams lived to be in it. But the Rock, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, and the incomparable Karen Gillian are an ensemble I truly enjoyed.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have trouble comparing parts of Kill Bill because tonally each half feels differently. I like the second part greatly, it just feels different. The elle/bea fight is one of my favorites too, it's just very different than the Crazy 88 / garden fight, and there's more focus on the backstory and contemplation, less cutting/action overall. (Put another way, part 1 feels hopped up on coke, part 2 is like having taken a downer and is contemplative overall.) And technically it's a continuation, not a sequel.

Never saw the original jumanji. Saw the recent one...fluff, but enjoyable while it lasted. I think it will be more interesting to compare ITS sequel arriving soon, since it's a true tonal sequel to Welcome to the Jungle.

I'm in the minority, but I think the original Alien is better. Ash was a better "human" villain than Burke, who was just another one of James Cameron's cartoonish evil rich guys. I guess Miles Dyson from T2 was maybe the exception, but he was more of an engineer than a businessman or British aristocrat. I also thought they were better at conveying tension with just one creature vs. the many in the sequel. Cameron's movie is good, but Scott's is better.

It's kind of a lost cause to get into an argument about which of two great movies that are actually somewhat different styles and genres are better than the other.

Usually sequels suck, so the gist is simply that Aliens is not a sequel that sucked.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have trouble comparing parts of Kill Bill because tonally each half feels differently. I like the second part greatly, it just feels different. The elle/bea fight is one of my favorites too, it's just very different than the Crazy 88 / garden fight, and there's more focus on the backstory and contemplation, less cutting/action overall. (Put another way, part 1 feels hopped up on coke, part 2 is like having taken a downer and is contemplative overall.) And technically it's a continuation, not a sequel.

Never saw the original jumanji. Saw the recent one...fluff, but enjoyable while it lasted. I think it will be more interesting to compare ITS sequel arriving soon, since it's a true tonal sequel to Welcome to the Jungle.

I watched the original Jumanji a few times as a kid. I liked it, but not enough to have really any interest in a sequel some 20 years later. Definitely didn't watch it as much as Roger Rabbit or Honey I Shrunk the Kids (which I guess were both five years earlier)

It's kind of a lost cause to get into an argument about which of two great movies that are actually somewhat different styles and genres are better than the other.

Usually sequels suck, so the gist is simply that Aliens is not a sequel that sucked.

But splitting hairs is fun!

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member

Same on Kill Bill.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh yeah, another reason why Alien is better is that Jonesy only has a short cameo in Aliens.