• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Se] Se = "What could be" vs. Ne = "What can't be"

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
OP What you are doing sounds like a Se/Ni process. Everybody uses their senses, let's get that straight. It's just that from that point each type will go a different direction with the sensory data. Se types have the 'realest' take on the data, they are most likely to fully take it in for what it is. The Si types tend to associate the sensory data with an internal/subjective 'memory'. The Ni type, like the Si type, has an internal/subjective association, but it's built with a multiple perspective model. The Ne types will use the data as a springboard towards something bigger.

So you not 'stopping' at the 4 dollars for pasta sauce indicates that there might be less Se, but maybe more Ni working, or it might be other functions. My ISTP coworker is very good with taking data in the present and shooting out concrete action plans in the moment (Se-Ni) while I notice the SJs are usually slower to respond because they're used to the 1 to 1 connotation and not comfortable with Ne possibilities. The NJs are slower as well, as they tend to filter through their perspectives before landing on the obvious, right in front of your face answer that the ISTP has (Ni Se).

I even see it when I play basketball. Most times I can see the offensive play developing but my body doesn't respond as quickly, while an SP's likely to quickly react and be more effective in that moment.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I wouldn't pin "why something won't work" on INTJ, Ne ideas can be way out there which and Ni person easily distinguishes as not possible. As an Ni user I can extrapolate and even run with the idea. Ne is very shallow when it comes to that stuff..they have lots of ideas that aren't much thought out before it comes out. Ni will process ideas before it gets thrown out. Ne may see Ni as negative or "it won't work". While Ni sees Ne as more bounce off wall.

Ne comes up with possibilities, Ni judges the possibilities.

I think this is mostly correct but Ni is a perceiving function, not a judging function... I think Ni perceives probabilities, while Ne perceives possibilities, which as you say are shallow (like Se and every other extraverted function; Ti thinks Te is shallow, too, for instance). In my case I'm pretty sure I don't engage Ni to whittle down possibilities, it's a result of judgment (dominant Ji in our case). I know that my heated roads idea is unrealistic and unusable not because of Ni, but because of Ji.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think this is mostly correct but Ni is a perceiving function, not a judging function... I think Ni perceives probabilities, while Ne perceives possibilities, which as you say are shallow (like Se and every other extraverted function; Ti thinks Te is shallow, too, for instance). In my case I'm pretty sure I don't engage Ni to whittle down possibilities, it's a result of judgment (dominant Ji in our case). I know that my heated roads idea is unrealistic and unusable not because of Ni, but because of Ji.

Should have used judgement, not judge. One is a process and the other is more of a result.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I'm quite good at noticing everything that is in my environment and how I can alter it or use it to get what results I'm going to want... realizing what's coming and then taking inventory of what I have that can make things run more smoothly...

according to this thread that's some odd bastardized combination of the two? :thinking:

Se notices opportunities just as well as Ne does, just more tangible opportunities... how else could unscrupulous used car salespeople get away with things? :tongue:

Hm...Do you really notice everything that's in your environment? What do you mean by everything, surely you don't mean literally everything? Just a few things on an as-needed basis?

Agreed with the rest though *thumbs up* :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hm...Do you really notice everything that's in your environment? What do you mean by everything, surely you don't mean literally everything? Just a few things on an as-needed basis?

Agreed with the rest though *thumbs up* :)

I DON'T notice the things that most people seem to be good at... like someone standing in front of me or paperwork or that thing that I will inevitably trip over... I DO notice things that I could use for things and signs of what might happen if that makes any sense. I'm on the lookout for advantages and signs of what's happening :ninja:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Se and Ne both deal in "could" in a way, since both deal in "emergent" data. But when we think of "could", we usualy think of what's not there, or not seen or realized yet, which would be N (Ne deriving this from looking at objects, and Ni from impressions from the unconscious). Se is more about "what is", and from there, what "could be done" with it. That's technically dealing with something not there yet, but the point of Se is exploiting the situation so that it can be realized. (where Ne is more about the "imagining" of it, and not about actually doing it).

So you could say:
Ne: "what could be [hypothesized]"
Se: "what could be done in the moment"
[both in the environment, where Ni and Si, are the same, but from individual impression].

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Se and Ne both deal in "could" in a way, since both deal in "emergent" data. But when we think of "could", we usualy think of what's not there, or not seen or realized yet, which would be N (Ne deriving this from looking at objects, and Ni from impressions from the unconscious). Se is more about "what is", and from there, what "could be done" with it. That's technically dealing with something not there yet, but the point of Se is exploiting the situation so that it can be realized. (where Ne is more about the "imagining" of it, and not about actually doing it).

So you could say:
Ne: "what could be [hypothesized]"
Se: "what could be done in the moment"
[both in the environment, where Ni and Si, are the same, but from individual impression].

Thanks! This has to be the best explanation I've ever seen of Se/Ne. A hopefully quick question though. Would you say Se is more about doing something in the moment, or doing stuff in the longer-term? Because I often have ideas that could not be actualized for months or years, so they are not about acting in the moment. Would that be more in the realm of judgment rather than Se/Ne perception? Moreover, obviously, Ne types do things as well - think of your stereotypical ENxP entrepreneur - so would that be more in the realm of judgment also, and not a drive to take action intrinsic to Ne itself?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Se is definitely more "in the moment"; here and now. If the data has to be stored for future use; you're more likely dealing with Si. If it's an "idea"; and not something tangible, that exists now or at least once existed, that's N. (Ne, if inferred from an object). Se would just move on to look for something else that could be done. So again, Se=what exists and could be exploited now; Ne what "could exist [i.e. "be"] but likely doesn't, now.
Planning for the future would be more of judgment; for that is rational; while perception is irrational meaning you can't help but perceive it, so it's not about waiting for something to become possible.