• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random TV Show Thoughts

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
anyone watching the current season of ahs? the thing that scares me this season is that if

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I barely remembered they were even airing a new season.

I did watch about 3-4 episodes of American Horror Stories, which is all standalone story riffs sometimes new and sometimes tied into past seasons.

I dunno. AHS is one of those things that i think is a cool concept but that I think kind of went downhill after Season 1 and definitely after Season 3. It's just not implemented as strongly as the concept itself.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I barely remembered they were even airing a new season.

I did watch about 3-4 episodes of American Horror Stories, which is all standalone story riffs sometimes new and sometimes tied into past seasons.

I dunno. AHS is one of those things that i think is a cool concept but that I think kind of went downhill after Season 1 and definitely after Season 3. It's just not implemented as strongly as the concept itself.
I tuned out in the middle of Season 3. As much as I like Evan Peters, I got tired of all the stuff with him constantly grunting in the bathroom.

Last edited:

fatgurl

ARMY
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I recently finished Outer Banks. I feel kinda cheated. The whole time they were trying to get this thing for so many episodes then at the end they end up losing it. Smh

fatgurl

ARMY
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I kinda want to start the Haunting of Bly Manor. It might be good

Raffaella

bon vivant
Glad you did that, those are two of the best shows I have ever watched.

I actually did not watch BB when it aired -- around Christmas a few months after the series concluded, I was sitting at home during the holidays and just decided to watch because I was sick of avoiding spoilers. Before that point, a few years prior I think I had watched about the first five episodes (Season 1 + a few episodes into Season 2) and hadn't been able to get into it at the time.

As you did, I couldn't stop -- and watched the entire series (62-63 episodes?) in about 6-7 days. It was a crazy ride but wow.
This is a pleasant surprise - as someone who I perceive as a flim/tv buff, I thought you'd have watched it when it was airing :)

Do you remember what turned you off it the first time around? I just remember getting really annoyed by the hype and not being able to appreciate any character (especially Walt). Maree really got on my nerves too but, at that time I believed, that they made her so unlikable. Of course, now I really appreciate her character and her ability to challenge the audience's perception of a strong female.

I need a new tv show :sadbanana: I might rewatch The Sopranos.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
anyone watching the current season of ahs? the thing that scares me this season is that if
Yes, I loved the first part of the season. I dunno about how it's going to be split in two, with the next half being somewhere else.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a pleasant surprise - as someone who I perceive as a flim/tv buff, I thought you'd have watched it when it was airing :)

Do you remember what turned you off it the first time around? I just remember getting really annoyed by the hype and not being able to appreciate any character (especially Walt). Maree really got on my nerves too but, at that time I believed, that they made her so unlikable. Of course, now I really appreciate her character and her ability to challenge the audience's perception of a strong female.

I need a new tv show :sadbanana: I might rewatch The Sopranos.
Well, I think it started during a particularly trying time of my life so I missed a lot of TV shows at the time. Plus, I didn't know what to make of it and generally wasn't watching AMC at that point, I can't recall if I had cable when it was airing (or access to AMC) originally.

I remember trying to start it once, getting a few episodes in (that might have been when it was on Netflix), getting distracted, and just not bothering to continue. The second time I tried, when I was alone and in a stable home at least with a lot of time to myself, I was sucked in and just blew through it. I just couldn't stop. I think Season 2 was the roughest for me to push through, until the last few episodes and the whole subplot with Jane which really drew me in.

I really think all the characters were great -- even the semi-unlikeable ones. I didn't like Skylar much until about Season 3, and then I really felt like the tables turned and she had legitimate fears and gripes regarding Walt. Until then she was kind of manipulative and liked to make everyone fit into her nicely packaged little world; then suddenly Walt was out of control / dragging everyone into shady stuff beyond anything she had ever done, and she was just trying to keep her kids safe. I never understood the Skylar hate persisting in the last few seasons, I found her very sympathetic and just trying to preserve the things that mattered to her.

Marie was probably the most unlikeable character for me, she was kind of judgmental and opinionated and didn't really have a broad sense of the world. But this also made her an interesting character, with her fixation on purple and her black and white view of reality, etc. So extreme too in her responses. She filled a role in the cast, they were all unique people.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm surprised there aren't a million Squid Game threads devoted to typing the characters.

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ridley Scott says the new Alien series he happens to be a producer on will never live up to the original Alien. He's probably right, but not exactly the kind of praise I'd be happy about if I were a fellow producer on that show.

Although I bet it will be superior to Prometheus and Alien Covenant :troll:

I have never really understood his sense of ownership over the Alien franchise, when he didn't even write the first film. That would be like if Terrence Young had returned to the 007 franchise decades later and acted like it was all his brainchild and that all of the films after his were garbage. Nothing worse than a talented workman director who thinks they're an auteur. Their contributions to their respective series were enormous, and they helped shape those fictional worlds, but they were never more than glorified hired hands. At least when someone like Lucas or Roddenberry threw a hissy fit about ownership of their respective fictional universes, it was somewhat understandable

I wouldn't probably mind his dictatorial control over the franchise if not for his vocal disregard for anything not made with the Ridley Scott stamp of mediocrity. Probably the only reason he hasn't trashed Aliens and James Cameron is he's aware many consider it superior to his own film and he'd burn up any remaining goodwill toward him from Alien fans. He has acted like a jealous, petty child with other filmmakers who have expressed interest at taking a shot with an Alien film (see how he effectively lobbied to have Neil Blomkamp's proposed film killed). Time to move aside and allow other people a chance. We loved Alien, but that doesn't mean we need a convoluted origins story to destroy any sense of mystery around the first film. I sincerely hope the new show isn't going to do more of that, although I would like to see a resolution to David's arc done properly. That said, rumored conclusions to said arc I have seen are just silly. I do not need or want a story featuring David becoming Ash, and I really hope that one is just a baseless rumor and not something Scott actually has in mind. The guy is a terrible writer and should leave the ideas to other writers.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ridley Scott says the new Alien series he happens to be a producer on will never live up to the original Alien. He's probably right, but not exactly the kind of praise I'd be happy about if I were a fellow producer on that show.

Although I bet it will be superior to Prometheus and Alien Covenant

Yeah, as he's been overediting his films recently to shit so they become incomprehensible...

I saw this comment by him as well and was kind of shocked he said that publicly.

I have never really understood his sense of ownership over the Alien franchise, when he didn't even write the first film.... I wouldn't probably mind his dictatorial control over the franchise if not for his vocal disregard for anything not made with the Ridley Scott stamp of mediocrity. Probably the only reason he hasn't trashed Aliens and James Cameron is he's aware many consider it superior to his own film and he'd burn up any remaining goodwill toward him from Alien fans. He has acted like a jealous, petty child with other filmmakers who have expressed interest at taking a shot with an Alien film (see how he effectively lobbied to have Neil Blomkamp's proposed film killed). Time to move aside and allow other people a chance.

Yeah, it was never his baby.

I have a hate/love relationship with Scott's work. Some of his earlier stuff is really great, and I appreciate how he works cross-genre rather than doing just one kind of film. He has directed some memorable films.

OTOH, the longer he's been in the business, he's also released a growing list of shit so that I no longer think, "Oh cool, a Scott film is coming out, I just have to see it sight unseen!"

I've been really put off by his last two Aliens film. The trailers were great. I've seen what hit the cutting room floor, though, and it's made the movies both far worse. About the best parts of either film are simply the look and feel of them -- they have a lot of dark beauty and ambiance. But he seems to have lost a sense of the power of character and story.

We loved Alien, but that doesn't mean we need a convoluted origins story to destroy any sense of mystery around the first film. I sincerely hope the new show isn't going to do more of that, although I would like to see a resolution to David's arc done properly. That said, rumored conclusions to said arc I have seen are just silly. I do not need or want a story featuring David becoming Ash, and I really hope that one is just a baseless rumor and not something Scott actually has in mind. The guy is a terrible writer and should leave the ideas to other writers.
I haven't had a reaction either way to the Alien series that was announced. I've been too jaded over the years to care until something releases and I hear it is worth viewing. I typically just block stuff out too as "failed canon" rather than official storyline, at least in my own head.

I have not heard the "David becoming Ash" thing... but damn, what a shitty idea. Let's just ruin even the good stuff because we keep pumping out drivel.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have not heard the "David becoming Ash" thing... but damn, what a shitty idea. Let's just ruin even the good stuff because we keep pumping out drivel.
I don't like that idea either, but it doesn't surprise me if he is considering it. Still, I'll probably see The Last Duel in theaters. Scott's movies always look great IMO, and the cast is pretty good.

Speaking of Ash, any love here of Ash vs. Evil Dead? I'm loving it so far. It mimics the tone of Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness perfectly, at least so far.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Speaking of Ash, any love here of Ash vs. Evil Dead? I'm loving it so far. It mimics the tone of Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness perfectly, at least so far.

lucylawless550[1].jpg

* GROOVY *

yeah, I loved that show. Might watch it through again at some point -- it totally caught the spirit of the films!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alice in Borderland on Netflix. This came out last Dec and a second season was quickly ordered but is not yet released. It is based on a manga running from 2010-2015 or so. Planned to watch it for awhile, but ended up just starting.

I like how it's Japanese (with subtitles) but picks up a lot of nuances and style from western dramas so as to capture some level of emotion. It's edited well, with a decent color palette. It feels similar thematically to Hunger Games and Battle Royale, but more lavishly done, with some tricks from Lost. The musical score fits the mood of the show while still being lush when appropriately and/or evocative at others like Lost's music was simple but evocative.

The gist is pretty simple, there are three friends who find themselves abruptly in a Tokyo where almost all of the population has disappeared, and they are forced to report to the lit areas at night and are forced to play a game where the losers typically die. There are different types and difficulties of games, and you get into the mess where how strangers will respond to each other when their own lives are on the line -- who is cooperative, who is not, what skillsets are most effective to survive, etc. They are also picking up clues inadvertently as they do more games, about where to go next in order to figure out why this is happening and who might be culpable.

I have watched the first three episodes and they are a hell of a series of episodes. I don't really want to spoil anything but I will say the series has not pulled any punches and I don't really know where it's going / who will end up being main characters, although I have a few guesses.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Season 3 of YOU just released on Netflix, and 4 episodes in I got bored. I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons, but the suburban setting and humdrum of parental life in season 3 bored me.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Started watching Squid Game the other night -- only 2 episodes in so far. Enjoying it thus far, although I see it less for the blood sport thriller aspect and more as an allegory of late-stage capitalism.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
as much as i love classic horror, i just can't get into AHS. i have tried several times. the creators certainly know their horror, so you would think i'd love that show. i can't explain it. maybe it's just the format which i find tedious.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Started watching Squid Game the other night -- only 2 episodes in so far. Enjoying it thus far, although I see it less for the blood sport thriller aspect and more as an allegory of late-stage capitalism.
i got the sense they were critiquing communism and capitalism simultaneously. or perhaps it's just a broader critique on power and class

what a nail biter show. good luck when you get to the later episodes, as it only gets more nerve wracking