• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random TV Show Thoughts

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
So in the scene where the Membari Council where Delen gives her speech and does what she does, I think Nerun of the Warrior Caste was one of the ones who followed her out because one of the other warriors tried to stop them, but they pulled away.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I finished "One Day" last night.

Aside from my heart being torn out, I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the music used throughout this series. Barely any of it I had heard previously (aside from maybe one of the songs by The Cranberries, and a few others) but it was all suitable and really filled a particular mood -- just lovely choices, often lyrically as well, and there was nothing canned or stereotypical about it like happens so often in American series.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fuck Warner Bros. In many ways they kill whatever they touch.

Warner Bros. Discovery is in the process of negotiating the sale of rights to certain Rooster Teeth content and IPs, including the popular series RWBY, the sci-fi spoof Red vs. Blue, and the animated mecha series Gen:Lock featuring Michael B. Jordan. Efforts are also underway to sell the Roost podcast network, which will continue to operate for the time being.

I hope someone picks up RWBY and rehires the showrunners and voice actors and other principals.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm trying to rewatch all of Community before it leaves Netflix.

I watched (Season 1, Episode 4) Social Psychology tonight. I groaned when I realized what episode it was, because I remember not liking it that much. I'm kinder to it now and say that while I don't much care for the A-plot of the social psychology experiment, I do like the B-plot where Jeff and Shirley gossip about Britta's boyfriend. The problem with the A-plot is that it's just one joke, repeated far too many times, with people having tantrums when waiting for something. This was funny when Chang did it, because it happened immediately, but the gag wears out its welcome rather quickly. I like the end where Abed reveals he stayed because he was Annie's friend, which contrasts with the previous episode where he manipulated Britta to get the movie he wanted. But there is too much time spent on a joke that's not that funny.

I tend to find these early season 1 episodes difficult at times, because they haven't figured out what combinations worked well together. The Shirley-Jeff things as an exception; I don't remember them returning to that well too often, and yet it's really funny to watch them be catty together. I enjoy the story arc of a jealous Jeff trying to be better but then being lured to the dark side by Shirley. I am surprised by how rapid-fire and witty even the earliest episodes of this show have proven themselves to be. You watch an early episode of Seinfeld or the Simpson's and they're a little dull; they take themselves too seriously for whatever reason. I would say that while these early episodes are more grounded, there are still many things that make me chuckle.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Christopher Nolan might remake The Prisoner. I have mixed feelings. I guess if anyone can do it well, it would be him. But I've been a hardcore fan since childhood, and the prospect of it is grating. I like associating the pennyfarthing symbol with Patrick McGoohan and the big weather balloon monster (and all of the other cheesy mechanisms). It's easily one of my top ten favorite series ever.

There was a remake back in 2009, but it was so terrible - and resembled the original so little - that most Prisoner fans could easily ignore it. It even had John Cassaventes as No. 6. Just comically bad. Supposedly. I tried watching it several times (because i do like Ruth Wilson) and never made it past the first episode.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watched (Season 1, Episode 4) Social Psychology tonight. I groaned when I realized what episode it was, because I remember not liking it that much. I'm kinder to it now and say that while I don't much care for the A-plot of the social psychology experiment, I do like the B-plot where Jeff and Shirley gossip about Britta's boyfriend. The problem with the A-plot is that it's just one joke, repeated far too many times, with people having tantrums when waiting for something. This was funny when Chang did it, because it happened immediately, but the gag wears out its welcome rather quickly. I like the end where Abed reveals he stayed because he was Annie's friend, which contrasts with the previous episode where he manipulated Britta to get the movie he wanted. But there is too much time spent on a joke that's not that funny.

I tend to find these early season 1 episodes difficult at times, because they haven't figured out what combinations worked well together. The Shirley-Jeff things as an exception; I don't remember them returning to that well too often, and yet it's really funny to watch them be catty together. I enjoy the story arc of a jealous Jeff trying to be better but then being lured to the dark side by Shirley. I am surprised by how rapid-fire and witty even the earliest episodes of this show have proven themselves to be. You watch an early episode of Seinfeld or the Simpson's and they're a little dull; they take themselves too seriously for whatever reason. I would say that while these early episodes are more grounded, there are still many things that make me chuckle.
i agree about how Community hit the ground running. I mean, I even loved the initial thing with Jeff and Pierce having to do a shared project together for Chang's class and it hooked me immediately; I guess I'm weird but I just couldn't stop laughing at their project, it was so brilliantly over the top, and Chang was so obnoxious. (Ken Jeong is a treasure.)

Yeah, Seinfeld has a tone of its own, and it really took a season or two to establish itself and get the tone down before becoming a ratings juggernaut.

The Simpsons actually was already big from Tracy Ullman, which is why it got a show in the first place, although obviously you can see the humor and the artistic design getting more polished over the first few seasons. I actually watched it as it aired, for the first 5-6 seasons, so there was none of me judging it twenty years later by comparing it to the current humor shows. At the time it aired it was a rare funny animated show on an adult level that kids could still appreciate (and the right-wing get their panties in a wad over) and was just downright funny even then, even though it had a sweet spot later in its run.

Maybe those older shows walked so that Community could run...

Last edited:

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm trying to rewatch all of Community before it leaves Netflix.

This show reminds me of the forum, maybe 2012-ish Typo C. Maybe because it was an unlikely connection of very different people having unusually real conversations. For Typo C, it was because of the anonymity. In Community, it's because it's literally a script about an unlikely connection of very different people; fiction is always (?) a speculative 'what if...' examination of some circumstanse. The fighting in Community reminds me of the fighting that would happen here - especially that episode where Troy yelled "I HATE us!" and Jeff asked Abed something like "Why do you have to take everything we experience and shove it up its own ass?" A lot of the conflict here was because of someone or another taking a conversation and shoving it up its own ass, and then someone else shoving THAT up its own ass, etc.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are actually kinda right on that -- I think the same things that make me laugh on Community are similar things to what I remember about the forum's early years and what posting felt like. It is all the same kind of crazy energy with such a variety of people, and so much funny yet dramatic stuff coming out of left field.

I guess everyone just disagrees on who were the Pierce counterparts, though. (Lol, not it!)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This show reminds me of the forum, maybe 2012-ish Typo C. Maybe because it was an unlikely connection of very different people having unusually real conversations. For Typo C, it was because of the anonymity. In Community, it's because it's literally a script about an unlikely connection of very different people; fiction is always (?) a speculative 'what if...' examination of some circumstanse. The fighting in Community reminds me of the fighting that would happen here - especially that episode where Troy yelled "I HATE us!" and Jeff asked Abed something like "Why do you have to take everything we experience and shove it up its own ass?" A lot of the conflict here was because of someone or another taking a conversation and shoving it up its own ass, and then someone else shoving THAT up its own ass, etc.
Wait, was that what Function Wars was about?
You are actually kinda right on that -- I think the same things that make me laugh on Community are similar things to what I remember about the forum's early years and what posting felt like. It is all the same kind of crazy energy with such a variety of people, and so much funny yet dramatic stuff coming out of left field.

I guess everyone just disagrees on who were the Pierce counterparts, though. (Lol, not it!)
One thing I remember is taking the typing of fictional characters very seriously. I think, to be honest, the Pierce types tended to be IXTP types, and this was probably why they were constantly getting banned (not "typism"). I don't know why that was; perhaps that's how those people wanted to imagine themselves.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh, and I remembered that they did go back to the Shirley/Jeff well. There was the foosball episode which was great.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

One thing I remember is taking the typing of fictional characters very seriously. I think, to be honest, the Pierce types tended to be IXTP types, and this was probably why they were constantly getting banned (not "typism"). I don't know why that was; perhaps that's how those people wanted to imagine themselves.
I dunno, I wouldn't call Pierce an IXTP either. He's like like a sour e6 or something.

but I guess you mean that counter-reactive persona, where you always choose the option that is going to cause the most conflict and somehow get a rush out of it or feel like you're accomplishing things by being a naysayer.

Pierce views himself as an outsider and not wanted, so then he seems to take pleasure in reinforcing that in order to regain some level of power and needling everyone around him. He's just counter-establishment, to BE counter-establishment and act like he's choosing that on purpose, because the establishment didn't want him (from his perspective), but he still desperately wants to belong on some level.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I dunno, I wouldn't call Pierce an IXTP either. He's like like a sour e6 or something.

but I guess you mean that counter-reactive persona, where you always choose the option that is going to cause the most conflict and somehow get a rush out of it or feel like you're accomplishing things by being a naysayer.

Pierce views himself as an outsider and not wanted, so then he seems to take pleasure in reinforcing that in order to regain some level of power and needling everyone around him.He's just counter-establishment, to BE counter-establishment and act like he's choosing that on purpose, because the establishment didn't want him (from his perspective), but he still desperately wants to belong on some level.
I was thinking more in terms of who played that role on the forum, not that Pierce was that type. I'm talking about the trolly variety of IxTP, here. (Others may disagree, but I don't think I qualify.)

Last edited:

Kas

Fabula rasa
Is 6th season of Community worth watching? I've seen 2 episodes and so far it's no good.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is 6th season of Community worth watching? I've seen 2 episodes and so far it's no good.
I liked it. If nothing else watch Lawnmower Maintenance and Postnatal Care.

I hate Season 4, the "year with the gas leak", though.

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Elroy and Frankie are the best. I wish we'd gotten more with them.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

😂

Every once in a while, someone would post a "Does the forum seem more hostile than usual?" thread; it was threads like that that had big "sticking a topic up its own ass" feel. And we'd regularly circle back around to the beginning of "Why did this person get banned" (or some variation thereof) every couple months; the same people would show up to say what they usually say. And yes, the drama of the function wars. I remember seeing a tweet a couple of years ago that said, "People think jocks are a nerd's worst enemy, but really a nerd's worst enemy is another nerd who is slightly wrong about something."

I just watched the episode that starts with Pierce saying, "I've prepared a statement..." and then it cuts to opening credits. It gets funnier every time I see it. It's exactly the kind of thing that happened here, regularly.