• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random TV Show Thoughts

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Annie wasn't a lone gunman. Remember Intro to Conspiracies. It's all a conspiracy. There wasn't just one ass crack bandit.
Copycats, maybe? Or even more nefariously, were they working together?

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Copycats, maybe? Or even more nefariously, were they working together?
It was all just a dream. A dream you had about watching a tv show where there were simple answers to fictional questions. A dream where you thought you knew what was real. A dream you share. A Dream where there was a D&D episode on streaming.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It was all just a dream. A dream you had about watching a tv show where there were simple answers to fictional questions. A dream where you thought you knew what was real. A dream you share. A Dream where there was a D&D episode on streaming.
The reality is that I was not watching a TV show like that, but rather something more like the movie Zodiac; where there is no answer for anything. The bandit(s) are still out there, and we could perhaps be their next victims. I'm putting tape over my asscrack, I'm Andrew Clark-ing myself.

The Cat

Staff member
The reality is that I was not watching a TV show like that, but rather something more like the movie Zodiac; where there is no answer for anything. The bandit(s) are still out there, and we could perhaps be their next victims. I'm putting tape over my asscrack, I'm Andrew Clark-ing myself.
You shouted out who coined Troy Barnes when after all it was you and me. Pleased to meet you. Hope you've guessed my game.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

What I get from this piece is not darkness but a sense of deep weariness and sadness. Despite the unconventional use of electric guitar for a space epic, it fit the episode it came from perfectly; which was, I believe, the first part of a two-parter of exploring a new home for the survivors of the Twelve Colonies. The sense of being tired, the world-weariness suggested by the music played into the episode incredibly, perfectly aligned with its themes..

The Cat

Staff member

What I get from this piece is not darkness but a sense of deep weariness and sadness. Despite the unconventional use of electric guitar for a space epic, it fit the episode it came from perfectly; which was, I believe, the first part of a two-parter of exploring a new home for the survivors of the Twelve Colonies. The sense of being tired, the world-weariness suggested by the music played into the episode incredibly, perfectly aligned with its themes..
It's also a nice musical set up for the coming of the Pegasus. One of my favorites is the track The Cylon Prisoner
Bear McCreary is possibly my favorite modern composer. He doesnt overdo the brass like Williams, or make everything to epic like Horner. I also like his use of worldly folk instruments.​

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finished Hazbin Hotel
Hazbin Hotel on Prime is kind of amusing, if you're into the neat animation style (kind of like Powerpuff Girls taken to the far next level) and a weird mix of adult scripting, Broadway musical, and the rehabilitation of hell denizens.

It took a bit of time to get in sync with it but it's becoming fun. It's just taking a bit of time to find itself.

View attachment 30125
Finally finished the season today (the final two episodes dropped Friday).

It was pretty enjoyable, honestly, and showed maybe Charlie has a path forward considering her success.

While angels being assholes is not a new concept, I kinda really like the thought of there being a lesser-ranked angel (Emily) in heaven who is kinda like Charlie in her mentality and basically they are working both sides of the pipeline to get her plan moving ahead.

1707080377298.png

Episode 4 had a viewer warning on it, and it's actually pretty dark but meaningful (revolving around Angel Dust's past and present). I was kinda blown away it could go there tastefully. It's also pretty heart-rending, it's hard to watch portions of that episode without crying -- and I never expected that from an 30 minute animation with outrageous/sarcastic humor.

Some of the music is throwaway, some is decent, but it all fits the show's vibe.

The animation is rather cool and builds off shows from the past to go even further and do its own thing.

It's also a pretty queer-inclusive show, for folks who are looking for that.

Last edited:

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Hazbin Hotel on Prime is kind of amusing, if you're into the neat animation style (kind of like Powerpuff Girls taken to the far next level) and a weird mix of adult scripting, Broadway musical, and the rehabilitation of hell denizens.

It took a bit of time to get in sync with it but it's becoming fun. It's just taking a bit of time to find itself.
I generally agree with you. It's a bit of a weird offering (I guess it would be classified as an animated comedy/musical?) and musicals are not my cup of tea. But it is kind of funny, and full of vulgar language and sexually explicit talk and I guess a bit sacrilegious. So its a bit outrageous and off the beaten path and that appeals. It does have it's heartwarming moments too.

Also, the singing and songs are actually not bad. I understand the voice actors are mostly Broadway stars, so they are capable singers.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, the lead did Mean Girls and Jeremy Jordan is Lucifer.
Husk is actually the actor Keith David.
But I think the Angel Dust guy is actually an unknown or was when he auditioned.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It would be nice -- although frankly the Red Dragon sequence was my least favorite part of the three season series. The strongest material was the more original elements. So I'm not sure how rights work with The Silence of the Lambs, I don't think they had privs for her character.

The Cat

Staff member
Babylon 5 needs to be seen by more people. It feels more relevant than ever. I guess that makes it timeless.​

The Cat

Staff member
Masters of the Universe Revelation really is a lot of fun, it does in so many ways feel like just a continuation of the old show. I like the animation, the casting. As a kid Cringer and Orko were my favorites, and it was really nice to see them get some fantastic scenes and story. The muscly armed warrior women is just the bees knees and the cats pajamas on top of everything else. I enjoy how they tied in the live action movie too. For an anxious autistic child in the 80's Cringer being able to turn into Battlecat really got me through a lot of fear growing up.

The Cat

Staff member
I am never giving up my physical media, especially with all the bullshit from Sony and Max in the last year or two.

Streaming is getting worse than cable ever was, because at least during the age of cable physical media was still big.
Fortunately I'm of an age where I still get physical media Im really interested in, but boy was I enjoying the fantasy of being able to save space in my eventual tomb. Once it was bundles of newspapers, once, once it was bundles of national geographics and other magazines. Now is the age of the dvd hoarder. Long may we reign.

The Cat

Staff member
A voice in the Wilderness Parts 1&2 Babylon 5. Drall kinda gets my life's wish. being pluged in to be the semi immortal conduit to an ancient repository of knowledge that renders me able to go anywhere and see anything and access everything since creation itself began. I think heaven for me might be a library in a primordial garden.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I finished S1E3 of Succession. The episodes are so long, I can't really binge it very well -- but they are pretty enjoyable while watching.

Tom (Shiv's fiance) and Greg (the semi-related loser brownnoser) have this weird relationship. Tom is generally nice to others, but he keeps giving Greg shit just to see Greg flounder and struggle to respond. I haven't decided whether Tom is generally a dick or just jerking Greg's chain.

Kendall is definitely the little boy trying to fill daddy's shoes and over-trying to prove his manhood, but he keeps failing and/or having people not take him seriously. He's going to have a crisis of faith at some point where he'll really have to look at himself and decide who he is and what he should be.

Jerri's actually pretty even keeled. She and a few others might actually be the adults in the room.

The show just seems pretty outrageous with all the shit that typically goes down in a day and them all being out of their league in some way or another but trying to catch up. Kieran Culkin actually seems like he's just playing himself or something natural -- he's had these kinds of roles before and they're effortless for him.

The Cat

Staff member
So Bester Programmed Garibaldi's second, just like he later would Garibaldi. That's a subltle confession and foreshadowing. Well done. Babylon 5 is great.