• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random political thought thread.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Lower class crime is more common in the lower class.

Upper class crime is more common in the upper class.

Upper class crime does more damage.

And to make matters worse, upper class crime tends to go unpunished.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Politics now is so weird. There is this really weird dynamic where I feel like I can't speak my mind, or don't want to, or don't know what it is.

I'm expected to be so supportive of institutions and have so much faith in them, and this is the left-wing position to take, and it is the complete opposite of when I came of age politically around the Dubya administration.

Ultimately I do want to have trust in institutions, but is it smart to say they can't be questioned? I just feel uncertain because what the moment requires is me becoming what I hated.

I don't handle these shifts well.... i remember running into trouble after Obama got elected as well. It's not enough to vote for a guy apparently... you have to believe that electing him was enough to fix everything.

Anyway I've learned from before and unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'll keep quiet more often than not. None of this is worth alienating people I respect or care about.

I used to be so certain of what I thought. This made saying it easy. Now I'm not.

Last edited:

yeghor

"Marginalized voices" that somehow have the power to destroy anyone who disagrees with them
They are being used as moral/thought police by not-so-benevolent powers that they are oblivious to.

Lancel Lannister the Faith Militant vs Littlefinger

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bold rebels and independent thinkers telling it like it is (and I'm too much of a dumb sheeple to know their wisdom) who I constantly have to walk on eggshells around and have "no contact requests" that they want to try and dance around.

yeghor

Bold rebels and independent thinkers telling it like it is who I constantly have to walk on eggshells around and have "no contact requests" that they want to try and dance around. Strong tough guys always whining about being martyrs.
You cannot dictate who can contact you in a public forum/thread. You can block them though if you like.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member

Matt Walsh and his ilk and all their apologists are gonna get a lot of innocent people hurt and killed. For Money. Pro life indeed...​

Last edited:

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Politics always comes before policy. Remember that 2022 is an election year.
Calculations are preliminary, but Marc Goldwein of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (crfb), a think-tank, reckons Mr Biden’s pen stroke will cost between $400bn and $600bn. Having just dubbed its recently enacted climate-change and tax plan the Inflation Reduction Act—because it would reduce net federal expenditures by $300bn over the next decade—the White House might as well call this effort the Inflation Acceleration Action. Whereas most pandemic-relief programmes lapsed months ago, everyone holding student loans, rich or poor, has not had to make payments since March 2020. That has cost the federal government an estimated $60bn a year, making it twice as expensive as the mortgage-interest deduction afforded to homeowners (which now costs $30bn annually).

The analogy to the mortgage-interest deduction is apt in another way. It is hardly progressive. Owners of houses have higher incomes and wealth. Those with college and graduate degrees may start their working careers in greater debt, but command significantly higher wages later in life. According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics, the wage premium for a worker with some college education relative to one with just a high-school diploma is 11%; for a completed bachelor’s degree it is 65%; for a professional degree it is 138%.

When researchers at the Penn Wharton Budget Model, an academic costing outfit, evaluated the impact of a blanket forgiveness of $10,000 (even with a qualifying income cap of $125,000), they found that 69% of benefits accrued to those in the top 60% of the income distribution. The extra boost to Pell-grant recipients, which was a surprise, will make the move a bit less regressive. But the final verdict is unlikely to be a coup for the proletariat.