• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Saw Avatar: The Way of Water today.

Very reminiscent of the first film -- a weird kind of experience that is visually stunning, with average and occasionally clunky dialogue, and nothing that blows you away plot-wise, but still managing to feel emotionally satisfying on a lot of levels and rewatchable. Worthington is a little better than his prior appearance, I don't feel like Neytiri gets as much to do until the final act (where she just goes completely feral and wreaks a lot of damage), and there are a lot of characters introduced for this film which -- since they are writing the story beats for all of them together -- should have payoffs later in the series. The villains are still on the nose -- not only do they raze large sections of forests and kill mother nature, they also are associated with whaling crews harvesting the great pacifists for brain fluid that stops human aging apparently -- but at least there's nothing as clunky sounding as the unexplained "unobtainium," they at least had the sense to use sensible language. We also get more of a sense that Planet Earth really is dying (Jake says in the first film to Eywa that "the sky people killed their Mother") and humans are looking to establish footholds on Pandora to transplant the species and colonize.

At least it felt like there was some unique stuff in this film. For example, Payakan the rogue "whale" ... there are lot of interesting questions raised, like the nature of pacifism and whether it's better to fight for what you love or die for what you believe. Personally, as far as practical outcome matters, pacifism only works if it's a minority of resistors; can you really afford to be a pacifist if EVERYONE is a pacifist, because it will lead to your extermination otherwise? (Unless of course your beliefs matter more than survival.)

Weaver's character is also interesting and I think will play a bigger role as the series unfolds, including the actuality of her existence. I am also feeling like they have an actual arc in the works for Quaritch.

I was indifferent to most of the first half hour, but it was a film that I felt got more and more engaging as it went. And of course, the 3D visuals and sound were positively amazing. It makes a cold grey drab December day look really bland in comparison.

I was moved enough to shed some tears at time, so... good thing?

---

The other thing that shed tears... the trailer for the next Spiderverse film. I don't know, but it just felt so powerful to me. I really got choked up watching it.
My opinion on the movie... that was cool but was too long

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Weaver was so interesting and I think my favorite thing about the movie. And yeah, she's going to be important going forward, I can tell.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, THAT Bill Seinkiewicz. I about died.

Screenshot_20230103-081440_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230103-081400_Facebook.jpg

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoyed The Black Phone quite a bit. It's an example of good, efficient writing.

I like the portrayal of domestic abuse--at first it seemed like pointless sympathy farming to make the audience care more about the protagonist, yet it's pretty key to what we see later in the dynamic between captor and captive. Finney has already mastered gray rocking to deal with his abusive, alcoholic father. This was a subtle little detail that explains how Finney is able to mentally throw the kidnapper off his game a bit. For those unaware, gray rock method is a tactic used to deal with narcissists and abusers when total escape from the situation isn't an option--it involves maintaining a calm stoicism and not giving the narcissists the emotional reactions they are attempting to provoke. I spent years mastering it before I even knew there was a name for it. Based on the abductor's intended game, I can imagine the other boys would not have lasted long against the killer.

I also love that everything he tries, every apparent failed escape attempt, all come back to play critical roles in the finale. Chekov's frozen steak.

And they totally pulled a Home Improvement on Ethan Hawke by only showing parts of his face at any given time. (reference to the neighbor Wilson from that 90s sitcom, the guy who only ever shows part of his face at any given time)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We finally watched Del Toro's Pinocchio today. All I kept thinking through the film was how embarrassing this must be for Disney. They released one of the worst films of the year a few months prior, meanwhile Del Toro has released one of the best, both about the same story and one that Disney itself popularized in 1940 (with one of their arguably top five animated films). Even the single good idea in the recent Disney adaptation that they mostly bulloxed was done much better in this film and seems inherent to the whole story rather than just a tag at the end. Their entire adaptation reeks of a remarkable dearth of creative thought. Even Desplat's musical work + songs are haunting here. The first 20 animated seconds of this film felt more creative and emotional than Disney's entire recent adaptation.

I did skim the synopsis of the original Pinocchio stories that all of these are based on, and that plot is mostly a train wreck. (I think it was released serially and just meanders all over the place.) So Del Toro did borrow some of the same streamlined plot from the original Disney animated picture while also incorporating elements from the stories / merging some characters and then of course doing his own things through about half of it, including commentary about fascism and blind obedience (probably one of his life themes, it keep recurring in his films). I think he is on record feeling like the Pinocchio stories so far always seemed out to force obedience as the quality that makes people real, but he values independence and autonomy and so of course that is what he pursues here.

The ending might arguably be considered both a downer and yet a sheerly honest appraisal of life and love. The voice work was great. Making the wood fairy and death both kind of lamia/sphinx/cherubim creatures (voiced by Tilda Swinton) was pretty amazing. Jiminy is actually a realistic sort of conscience and also struggles with his own aspirations of importance, meaning he is also learning how to be a good conscience.

The film is shot in stop-motion but as if it was real live camera work, exquisitely done. IOW, some of these perspectives and moving camera shots would show considerable talent IRL and this was STOP MOTION. Pretty wild.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
We finally watched Del Toro's Pinocchio today. All I kept thinking through the film was how embarrassing this must be for Disney. They released one of the worst films of the year a few months prior, meanwhile Del Toro has released one of the best, both about the same story and one that Disney itself popularized in 1940 (with one of their arguably top five animated films). Even the single good idea in the recent Disney adaptation that they mostly bulloxed was done much better in this film and seems inherent to the whole story rather than just a tag at the end. Their entire adaptation reeks of a remarkable dearth of creative thought. Even Desplat's musical work + songs are haunting here. The first 20 animated seconds of this film felt more creative and emotional than Disney's entire recent adaptation.

I did skim the synopsis of the original Pinocchio stories that all of these are based on, and that plot is mostly a train wreck. (I think it was released serially and just meanders all over the place.) So Del Toro did borrow some of the same streamlined plot from the original Disney animated picture while also incorporating elements from the stories / merging some characters and then of course doing his own things through about half of it, including commentary about fascism and blind obedience (probably one of his life themes, it keep recurring in his films). I think he is on record feeling like the Pinocchio stories so far always seemed out to force obedience as the quality that makes people real, but he values independence and autonomy and so of course that is what he pursues here.

The ending might arguably be considered both a downer and yet a sheerly honest appraisal of life and love. The voice work was great. Making the wood fairy and death both kind of lamia/sphinx/cherubim creatures (voiced by Tilda Swinton) was pretty amazing. Jiminy is actually a realistic sort of conscience and also struggles with his own aspirations of importance, meaning he is also learning how to be a good conscience.

The film is shot in stop-motion but as if it was real live camera work, exquisitely done. IOW, some of these perspectives and moving camera shots would show considerable talent IRL and this was STOP MOTION. Pretty wild.
I dont think Disney is really capable of shame or embarrassment anymore...if they ever really were...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I enjoyed The Black Phone quite a bit. It's an example of good, efficient writing.

I like the portrayal of domestic abuse--at first it seemed like pointless sympathy farming to make the audience care more about the protagonist, yet it's pretty key to what we see later in the dynamic between captor and captive. Finney has already mastered gray rocking to deal with his abusive, alcoholic father. This was a subtle little detail that explains how Finney is able to mentally throw the kidnapper off his game a bit. For those unaware, gray rock method is a tactic used to deal with narcissists and abusers when total escape from the situation isn't an option--it involves maintaining a calm stoicism and not giving the narcissists the emotional reactions they are attempting to provoke. I spent years mastering it before I even knew there was a name for it. Based on the abductor's intended game, I can imagine the other boys would not have lasted long against the killer.

I also love that everything he tries, every apparent failed escape attempt, all come back to play critical roles in the finale. Chekov's frozen steak.

And they totally pulled a Home Improvement on Ethan Hawke by only showing parts of his face at any given time. (reference to the neighbor Wilson from that 90s sitcom, the guy who only ever shows part of his face at any given time)
I read the short story by Joe Hill that this film is based on, and it's a really decent adaptation in terms of taking the core of the story but embellishing it in ways that make it its own film and suitable for the medium.

I liked Derrickson's approach to Hawke's face too, I don't recall when he showed it completely for the first time.

Hawke's of an age and repertoire now where he's able to play around and tackle a variety of roles or just do whatever he feels like doing. It was hilarious that he had a walk-on role in Glass Onion -- about 60 seconds of screen time early in the film -- and if you didn't know who he was, you might have missed it.

I dont think Disney is really capable of shame or embarrassment anymore...if they ever really were...
I guess I handled that part for them. it was to the degree of shameful how they were completely outshone in adapting their own film here. Pretty much will be the vintage example of the failures of their live-action adaptations made only to leverage IP.

Every year or two there are usually two films that come out that seemed to be about the same thing/conceit, by two different film companies, almost as if they both heard about the other and were racing to release to directly compete. Usually one is decent quality (7/8) and the other is mediocre (4/5). I don't think I've ever see the gap in quality so wide before in a pairing like this. I would put Del Toro at a 9/10 and I ranked Disney's around 1/10.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Watched the Matilda musical. It was pretty good overall , and they did quite a job with capturing the scare factor. However, it just didn't have the same charm and cheekiness that the 90s version had. I remember in the book Matilda had a friend named Fred and she borrowed his parrot and it kept going, "Rattle my bones! Rattle my boness!". I would have loved to seen a parrot chase Danny DeVito, I wonder why that scene was never adopted.

The Cat

Staff member
Watched the Matilda musical. It was pretty good overall , and they did quite a job with capturing the scare factor. However, it just didn't have the same charm and cheekiness that the 90s version had. I remember in the book Matilda had a friend named Fred and she borrowed his parrot and it kept going, "Rattle my bones! Rattle my boness!". I would have loved to seen a parrot chase Danny DeVito, I wonder why that scene was never adopted.
Danny DeVito is only allowed to appear on screen with Penguins...And Dee Reynolds....but no other birds.

The Cat

Staff member
I would like to try boar meat. IPAs...no thanks.
You probably wouldnt like boar meat if you don't like IPAs. Unless you feed them out for a few weeks, they're EXTREMELY Gamey...which is similar to the bitterness of an IPA...Knowing that the boar would eat you if it could...makes them easier to consume...similar to IPAs...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You probably wouldnt like boar meat if you don't like IPAs. Unless you feed them out for a few weeks, they're EXTREMELY Gamey...which is similar to the bitterness of an IPA...Knowing that the boar would eat you if it could...makes them easier to consume...similar to IPAs...
Well, my research says that gaminess isn't a bad thing necessarily.

I haven't experienced it directly. I've had venison but it didn't stick out to me as different from beef.

The Cat

Staff member
Well, my research says that gaminess isn't a bad thing necessarily.

I haven't experienced it directly. I've had venison but it didn't stick out to me as different from beef.
It's not a bad thing by any means. Ive enjoyed it whenever Ive had it. But Ive never had it in mixed company* large gatherings* where most people have not complained by the uniqueness of the flavor. Imho, if you know its gonna be different flavor than like basic pork, you're probably gonna enjoy it more.

Last edited:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not a bad thing by any means. Ive enjoyed it whenever Ive had it. But Ive never had it in mixed company where most people have not complained by the uniqueness of the flavor. Imho, if you know its gonna be different flavor than like basic pork, you're probably gonna enjoy it more.
If you are implying women tend to not like game: I myself and the other females in my family enjoy and appreciate it very much. It's more of a special occassion / restaurant food though.