• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a funny part in American Beauty when Ricky is in the car with his dad, and his dad is ranting about gay people. He yells at Ricky, "don't placate me", so Ricky then proceeds to do just that with his response. Amusing.

Ricky knows just how to play him... until he decides it's finally beneath his dignity as a human being to do so, and then he knows just how to piss him off and expose him for what he is.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He's up there with John Goodman and Forrest Whitaker as one of those actors who can portray big soft teddy bears one moment, only to play scary monsters in another role.

Did you ever watch The Last King of Scotland? I think that's a good example of Forrest playing the latter. And it took me until a year or so ago to finally watch 'The Crying Game' (of which I had no idea what it was about - so you can imagine my surprise at it!), but I found Forrest's role in that very...interesting. It was such a strange character he played and it was hard to decide if he was creepy, or good hearted, or snaky, or... It was just so bizarre imo, and I think it was ultimately all of the above, but he was good.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did you ever watch The Last King of Scotland? I think that's a good example of Forrest playing the latter. And it took me until a year or so ago to finally watch 'The Crying Game' (of which I had no idea what it was about - so you can imagine my surprise at it!), but I found Forrest's role in that very...interesting. It was such a strange character he played and it was hard to decide if he was creepy, or good hearted, or snaky, or... It was just so bizarre imo, and I think it was ultimately all of the above, but he was good.

I plan to watch TLKoS at some point. I'm halfway through Ghost Dog currently. Always liked Whittaker. I really love The Crying Game and think he was great there.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yeah. He’s got great range

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Gamera vs. Guiron. It's one of those movies that makes so little sense that you kind of get a contact high just from watching. You know some of those Gamera movies are kind of goofy.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the movie Ghost, the ghosts can walk and fall through walls, yet have no problem standing on floors and stairs. It's kind of stupid, really. Shouldn't they just be falling and floating through floors and the ground too? Wouldn't Patrick Swayze be a non corporeal shade just kind of aimlessly passing through all types of solid matter?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In the movie Ghost, the ghosts can walk and fall through walls, yet have no problem standing on floors and stairs. It's kind of stupid, really. Shouldn't they just be falling and floating through floors and the ground too? Wouldn't Patrick Swayze be a non corporeal shade just kind of aimlessly passing through all types of solid matter?

Soultaker raises the same questions .

Perhaps they can only phase-shift if they want to? I don't know. I haven't seen Ghost.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Basically ghosts should be able to pass through everything if incorporeal; and while they cannot be confined by tangible matter, they can "emulate" following the constraints if they so desire while yet at any time just passing through things. You would think.

But I don't considering "Ghost" to be a real attempt to consistently develop a science of how ghost substance works. it's just a sappy morality play of sorts that can still be vaguely satisfying on that level. (And give Whoopi Goldberg an Oscar. Whee.) And provide comedic fodder for the Naked Gun movie series.

Tomb1

Creepy Albert Sparma's 463,000+ mile car made The Little Things...what a marvelous-sounding exhaust

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is Silver Linings Playbook any good? I have some interest in seeing it because it was filmed where I grew up.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is Silver Linings Playbook any good? I have some interest in seeing it because it was filmed where I grew up.

I thought it was good, and isn't not worth watching. But is it the best movie ever? Do I need to watch it again? No. But good acting, just a good overall movie - from what I recall.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I thought it was good, and isn't not worth watching. But is it the best movie ever? Do I need to watch it again? No. But good acting, just a good overall movie - from what I recall.

Ok, I'll watch it. There's a movie theater that's a few blocks away from where my apartment was in it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since the Alien franchise has been coming up a lot, I ended up watching Aliens again over the weekend. (I wish there was a 4K but maybe the transfer wouldn't be great based on when the movie came out; still, the bluray special edition, most recent, is pretty nice.)

It's odd -- I have typically viewed the film (the long version) as a story of motherhood, as you have a woman who lost her daughter through shit luck, who finds another girl who needs her and she becomes a surrogate mom, and this is pitted in a crazy way against the alien queen who is also a mother -- and you have two mothers drawn face to face by the end of the film, either fighting to preserve the lives of their children and/or wreaking revenge on each other for destroying their children. I've seen the film in light of that for many years now.

But this was the first time I looked at the film as a story of a trauma victim who ends up finding another trauma victim and the bond they build.

I mean, I don't really see Ripley as a "victim" in many ways because she is so damn proactive and strong. But the reality is that she basically watched her entire crew brutalized in the first film and barely escaped with her life aside from her own resourcefulness, courage, and perseverance. Then she gets home and finds out her daughter is now gone

and the whole opening segment of the film is Ripley basically experiencing terrible episodes of PTSD. (I'm pretty sure Burke either says that or highlights it, but the film kind of glosses over it once it starts rolling.) Ripley only goes back to LV-426 in fact because she is traumatized by her dreams and feels the only way to stop her nightmares is to convince herself that the aliens no longer exist and/or make sure they are all dead... plus her natural sympathy for others who might be experiencing the same horror she is.

And then she gets there and finds a little girl who lost not just her entire family but her whole community. Newt is ALSO experiencing PTSD after surviving for days without any help or weapons. She bites Hicks, flees Ripley, then fights like hell when Ripley puts her arms around her, then drops into dead silence for awhile. Even after she "engages", she's still marked by the highlights of a trauma survivor: She constantly is wedging herself into tiny spaces so that nothing can sneak up on her and/or to hide herself, and she's very pessimistic about their chances. "It won't matter," she says. It's as creepy AF to see the effect of her experiences on her. But there are so many moments that seem indicative of people who have suffered terrible trauma.

But it's another reason she and Ripley bond. Yes, Ripley becomes her surrogate mother just like Hicks becomes her surrogate husband (I have to say, it is one of the best moments I have seen in a film, emotionally, because it is so underwritten yet acted so well: Ripley tries to say goodbye to Hicks, knowing she will probably die and the rest of them after, and he corrects her by abruptly giving her his first name, and she is surprised and gives him hers, and he just says, "Don't be long, Ellen." Damn, there is so much to unpack in that 15-second sequence.), and it's even paid off at the end when Ripley wins and Newt calls her "Mommy" -- but it's also really obvious now on this viewing that they are both bonding because of being trauma victims. BOth of them also become proactive: Ripley takes charge of her destiny again, regardless of living or dying, to save Newt, and Newt opens herself up to Ripley.

It's just kind of incredible, the catharsis for both of these very scarred women, to try to heal and take control of their lives again. It's even in the last lines: "Can I dream?" asks Newt. "Yes, honey. I think we both can," replies Ripley.

I think this is why Aliens is one of those beloved action films that, aside from having many archetypical characters and memorable lines, operates on a few different authentic levels at once. It might be an action film, but it's just basically making "active" what amounts to strong dramatic arcs and truthful experience in how people deal with loss and trauma in ways that allow them to regain their humanity.

EDit: I gotta say too, I am trying really hard to reconsider Alien3 on the merits... but I can never ever EVER forgive how despicable the opening was, where basically a restored mother/daughter relations as well as the healing of trauma victims are both treated as little more than plot detritus to be discarded for a far lesser story. I mean, it makes my stomach churn just to think of it. It's absolutely vile.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched about half of "The Long Kiss Goodnight," from the 90's with Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson. It's not horrible but not great either and I'm not sure if I will finish it. Not sure yet if it's the script or the directing that pulls down the film. (I'm not really a Renny Harlin fan -- although there are three films of his I enjoy... NoES 4: Dream Master, Die Hard 2, and Deep Blue Sea.)

The most interesting part is not the film, it's that it's one of Shane Black's early film-writing efforts and it is definitely "Shane Black" style. I can see bits and pieces of the tone that he interjects into most of his films. So I do enjoy recognizing it as his work. Also, it seems to have influenced some later films involving people losing their memories and regaining them as they realize they used to be spies/assassins or whatever else, just the later films ended up being better.

I think my favorite Black film is "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" in 2005 (which ended up helping RDJr get back on the map) and then "The Nice Guys" from about a decade later. They seem to be pretty consistent in tone and amusing to watch. Some of his other work is more uneven. I never even finished his "The Predator" take, I got so bored with the film... which is a lot to say, consisting some of the entries in the Predator franchise. That was a disappointment for me, since Black had starred as Hawkins in the original film and I was really curious to see what he would do with it as a Predator scion.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why am I the only person who remembers Dracula Untold?

Tomb1

Seen Judas and the Black Messiah...HBO Max. Amazon Prime sucks. HBO Max gets the new stuff

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seen Judas and the Black Messiah...HBO Max. Amazon Prime sucks. HBO Max gets the new stuff

yeah they've become a decent Hub for a number of different networks / properties, and also potentially for films that release simultaneously in theater and streaming.