• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been watching "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and it is a brilliant movie. When I live alone I tend to pick one movie that I keep playing in the background for like a month (maybe I'm neuro-atypical). It usually has a compelling overall mood and good soundtrack, but I get an opportunity to really see the intricacies this way.

My random thought, though, is that there are a lot of kinda shitty girlfriends in this movie. I don't think Joel really did anything wrong. It's mostly her, although she alternates it with fun and charm. And then Mary is obnoxious to Stan. Neither listen at all.

Not really related but I tend to fixate on one movie for a while too. For example, at one point it was The Shining, then it was Goodfellas, and this month it's been Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION]
One other thought I had about "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" characters is in response to you mentioning Patrick. His actions create an inverse to the rest of the movie because he is claiming memories that don't belong to him. I thought it was interesting how both claiming and erasing memories causes feelings of violation in the characters. The movie has a lot of inverse relationships between ideas

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One other thought I had about "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" characters is in response to you mentioning Patrick. His actions create an inverse to the rest of the movie because he is claiming memories that don't belong to him. I thought it was interesting how both claiming and erasing memories causes feelings of violation in the characters. The movie has a lot of inverse relationships between ideas

True. And in general our self-awareness demands that we have some kind of memory pool. People who lose the ability to recall seem to lose self-awareness, even if their personality/identity still seems apparent to others because they have their memories of the person and their perception of the person's ongoing actions. It's like just have 2D awareness (without memory) without 3D awareness, time is the dimension missing without memory and we figure out who we are by looking at who we are over time.

In any case, excising memories is excising bits of ourselves -- and memories are not usually just negative or just positive. So excising bad memories removes good ones as well (a thing the movie expresses well), as well actual bits of our identity, making us less whole.

Patrick is trying to fill emptiness in his own identity with other people's memories. It's rather ghoulish, even if he just experiences it as trying to fill his own emptiness and make himself worthy of interest by another.

Kaufman is really good with this kind of thing. I really need to sit through "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" on Netflix, it came out in September and I still have not watched it. But I highly recommend any films based on his scripts or things he's directed. ("Synecdoche, NY" is a hard film, I've sat through it once; but I sobbed at the end of it. It's like his films can bypass concrete rational thought and deconstruction and philosophically go beyond what one can articulate, into the lost lonely core of being human. "Anomalisa" is another one that I felt was less successful but still had that feeling of two people trying to come together in that place of loneliness, but showing how hard it is to maintain the bliss.) But I fell in love with the guy's work when "Being John Malkovich" came out -- it was quirky, deep, and dredged up a lot of emotion.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Definitely my favorite superhero movie.

It's a miracle this movie even got made, haha.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After being disappointed by Mulan, I picked up the 4K for "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (a film I probably haven't watched in ten years, I had forgotten most of it).

Michelle Yeoh was only in her late 30's then. I don't know if they sped up those fight sequences a tad in post-production, but JFC... she and Zhang Ziyi going at it is just incredible. It's embarrassing to try to claim "Mulan" had "good action sequences" when you see real skill applied; these were real fights with a variety of weapons, and they were drawn-out affairs as well, going on far longer than most modern American action flicks. They felt far more real than most things I've seen in film, they knew wtf they were doing.

It kind of make Yeoh look like she's doing the DeNiro thing in her late career, just having a lot of fun in her current roles in mainstream Western franchise films and shows. Her "evil" version of herself on ST-D is just mostly a cliche of her past as a wuxia star.

(I'll also note CTHD is a true female-driven film, the three main characters are female each with their own goals and desires; and the story elements and acting is decent. Young modern views just might not be aware of them, if they are Americans with with little cinematic memory to draw upon for comparisons.)

After watching that, I rewatched "Hero" which is my other favorite port to Western audiences. (Note I never watch the dubbed stuff; I'm always watching original language w/ subtitles.) Again, decent fight sequences -- but I don't think they are as realistic as most of the encounters in CTHD, where they excel is the artistic beauty of the choreography and the cinematography / color palettes. It is more like the emo sister to CTHD, which is the more rational sibling. But both films make me cry. The ending to Hero is particular heartbreaking; I love how it takes a few iterations to get down to the "true" story and the characters in that final version are more complex than the earlier iterations.

In any case, Mulan is kind of laughable in comparison, unfortunately.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched a number of films over the holiday, most with my kids:

Diehard -- Eldest had never seen this, he thought it was great. The full version (which we watched on HBOMax?) is pretty solid. Pretty much despite the action plot, behaviors are character driven and they act consistently; everything odd is set up previously in the film so nothing is really pulled out of anyone's ass; Alan Rickman is a joy to behold (I think this was the first role I had ever seen him in, incidentally); I think the only annoying part is the Deputy Chief Dwayne Whassisname who is played blatantly as a moron, but I can handle that. It's really a thinking person's action film, compared to much else that was coming out in the mid/late 80's, and manages to be regularly amusing as well. Is it McTiernan's best film?

Bad Mom's Christmas -- Pretty terrible from a critical perspective, but a lot of fun and I laughed the whole way through. I even enjoyed Mila Kunis, who I haven't really liked in anything but Black Swan.

WW84 -- Sigh. Yeah, kinda disappointing. Didn't like the first 15-20 minutes, but I did like the film once Kristen Wiig shows up until about another hour in, then it just descended into an ambitious but muddled plotting /conventional superhero film. Meh. I wish it had stuck with a smaller character-driven plot, versus this confusing mishmash of the wishing stone, where the rules took time to decipher and is difficult to boil down to clear actions and motives on screen. My son and I talked after, and basically a viewer only has so much energy to dump into a film; if you waste a lot of time trying to understand what is going on, you have less focus and energy to invest in other areas of the viewing experience.

Compare to Infinity Wars, for example -- the big plot is very simple, Thanos is trying to collect all six stones so he will then be able to kill 50% of life in the universe. It's very simple; the goal is clear; the heroes' strategy is simple (protect each stone, take back the stones if possible). This leaves a LOT of mental space to devote to individual character arcs and emotional aspects of the film (the Gamora subplot, for example), so the experience I found was far more satisfying. We had to discuss WW84 for a while afterwards just to make sure we each understood what just happened. The rules were not explicit and consistent enough to easily track what everyone wanted, what needed to happen to lose or win, what the endgame was, etc.

The most powerful scene to me is the one where Barbara Minerva realizes she has powers and is put in a situation to avenge herself against someone who wronged her earlier in the film. That scene kind of took my breath away -- formative character moment. unfortunately it was the last emotionally powerful scene she was in, honestly.

Actors were fine, ironically Chris Pine was really great (esp as a man seeing a world 60 years beyond himself, with a sense of childlike wonder and exhilaration), and there were a few noteworthy scenes (like the above, but also where Steve and Diana say goodbye -- that was handled perfectly); it's mainly a script/plotting problem. This film has little rewatch value and I'm kinda wincing at how they are already planning a third film. DC as a superhero universe seems to kill whatever it touches, if not immediately, then in short order.

Soul -- One of Pixar's better outing. I enjoyed it more during the watch than afterwards, when I had time to assess. This one is more geared to adults, to the degree that Cars was geared to kids. The themes are more important to adults. I like the major ideas of the film and feel satisfied with how it turned out. As a musician, I was also synced up with some moments of the film, especially dropping into the zone when playing. But basically there is a difference between finding one's purpose and having a spark -- and you can have that spark regardless of what you are actually doing. I found it a comforting film. Also, the art style (especially in the Great Before was kinda neat.)

Lady Snowblood -- As a big fan of Kill Bill, I was laughing and blown away watching this film, which is much more reflective of modern film in the non-sequential plotline and imagery and mixed media than other early 70's films I'm aware of. Damn, this was delightful... and it's really clear now how MUCH of Kill Bill was inspired by it. Even one of the songs made it on the Kill Bill soundtrack, but there was stuff in Kill Bill I didn't realize he was just pulling from elsewhere. It's a cool little film.

Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery -- Watched this primarily because my eldest had not seen it. I'm providing him cultural experiences, right? My favorite scenes here involve Dr. Evil and Scott Evil; my least favorite moments are most of the scenes with Elizabeth Hurley. I don't hate on Hurley, she seems like a fine human being and she's drop-dead gorgeous in front of a camera (heck, she did a lot of modeling); the issue is that she needs a ton of direction, or she drops into her "game show hostess / model" mode which is very one-note, she's not really a natural actress with knowing what to bring to a screen moment unless told. She didn't get direction here (nor in the Bedazzled remake, which helped ruin that film as well despite great performances by Brendan Frazer and Frances O' Connor). Oh well. Mike Myers is still enjoyable.

From Beyond -- This is my eldest's contribution, he was telling stuff to watch on my Shudder subscription. He couldn't find Re-Animator (although it's on there), so we watched instead. The pacing gets flat / a little one-note, but it's kind of amusing and weird, like a jokey / not as severe mix of Hellraiser and some cheesy body-horror pics of the time. This genre isn't really my thing, I don't get much out of it except as one more addition to my headful of useless movie trivia.

Host -- Another Shudder film -- a Zoom seance goes awry. If you've seen Blair Witch Project + Paranormal Activity + Unfriended, then yeah, you've seen this film. It is effective at what it does, but nothing really new added to expectation; smartly, it knows this and keeps run-time to an hour. Liked it better than From Beyond... but as I said, nothing really new added to the genre.

Eldest wanted to watch "Come and See," but I just couldn't emotionally handle that right now. I need to get myself prepped for that one.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bad Mom's Christmas -- Pretty terrible from a critical perspective, but a lot of fun and I laughed the whole way through. I even enjoyed Mila Kunis, who I haven't really liked in anything but Black Swan.

This movie is enjoyable enough for what it is, but then I tend to grade movies on a curve. I'll let an action movie be dumb if it delivers the goods, for instance. Face/Off, anyone?

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
JK Rowling is leaving so much money on the table by not having Warner Brothers make a Harry Potter prequel series based on the Marauders (Sirius Black, Remis Lupin, James Potter, Peter Pettigrew), with a sidestory within that series of the transition of Tom Riddle to Lord Voldemort (the story is actually more interesting than the finished product of Voldemort in the film series. It could be him discovering his origin as a product of a love potion, killing his father's family, then creating the horcruxes, culminating with him entering the Potter house at the end of the series and killing Harry's father). Seriously, that's like a license to print money waiting to happen.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
JK Rowling is leaving so much money on the table by not having Warner Brothers make a Harry Potter prequel series based on the Marauders (Sirius Black, Remis Lupin, James Potter, Peter Pettigrew), with a sidestory within that series of the transition of Tom Riddle to Lord Voldemort (the story is actually more interesting than the finished product of Voldemort in the film series. It could be him discovering his origin as a product of a love potion, killing his father's family, then creating the horcruxes, culminating with him entering the Potter house at the end of the series and killing Harry's father). Seriously, that's like a license to print money waiting to happen.

THIS :roundthnx:

(Although I’ve come to hate the author herself for her TERF views, mind you. :dry:)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, no, it's so much more interesting watching... uh whatever TF it is she thinks we are watching...

Fantastic Beasts is one of the most convoluted and boring series I've ever seen. I think it needs a new scribe.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, no, it's so much more interesting watching... uh whatever TF it is she thinks we are watching...

Fantastic Beasts is one of the most convoluted and boring series I've ever seen. I think it needs a new scribe.

Convoluted is a good word to describe it. I'm all for giving the series a darker edge similar to the few Harry Potter films, but FB just sorts of bounced all over the place while providing no real character development whatsoever.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Die Hard 2 is underrated. Until the most recent DH film, it was usually the one people wrote off as the weakest of the series. I never understood the criticisms, it's got some great action set pieces, and while it is arguably the same plot of the first one but in an airport, it's still solid and has good characters. I like the self-referential humor, for instance how McClaine is constantly grumbling and bitching about the same thing happening to him again. While William Sadler is no Alan Rickman or Jeremy Irons, I do think he's a great character actor who is believable as the primary villain. And unlike in the first, third and fourth films, which feature robbers masquerading as terrorists, this villain and his henchmen are legitimate terrorists. I think this ups the ante, because there's nothing scarier than enemies devoted to their ideologies. I watch part 1 and 2 every Christmas. People seem to forget part 2 is also a Christmas movie.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm quite interested to see the Zach Snyder version of the fim, as I wasn't that impressed with the theatrical release. It seems Joss Whedon was more involved in rewriting the film than what was originally reported -- he pretty much scrapped most of Snyder's film plot and hastily rewrote it versus just sort of finishing what was already in motion and throwing in some reshoots when Snyder decided to step away for personal reasons.

Jared Leto seems to be reprising his role as The Joker, and is involved with the events which bring Darkseid and the parademons into the universe, which wasn't apart of the theatrical release at all. Should be interesting to see what the film was originally intended to be.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Die Hard 2 is underrated. Until the most recent DH film, it was usually the one people wrote off as the weakest of the series. I never understood the criticisms, it's got some great action set pieces, and while it is arguably the same plot of the first one but in an airport, it's still solid and has good characters. I like the self-referential humor, for instance how McClaine is constantly grumbling and bitching about the same thing happening to him again. While William Sadler is no Alan Rickman or Jeremy Irons, I do think he's a great character actor who is believable as the primary villain. And unlike in the first, third and fourth films, which feature robbers masquerading as terrorists, this villain and his henchmen are legitimate terrorists. I think this ups the ante, because there's nothing scarier than enemies devoted to their ideologies. I watch part 1 and 2 every Christmas. People seem to forget part 2 is also a Christmas movie.

Another fan of DH2 here. :smile: Even if some the plotting gets a bit silly at times.

It also has Robert Patrick in a bit cameo.

Jared Leto seems to be reprising his role as The Joker, and is involved with the events which bring Darkseid and the parademons into the universe, which wasn't apart of the theatrical release at all. Should be interesting to see what the film was originally intended to be.

I don't know where all the Leto Joker hate came from too. I mean, maybe it's not as popular an interpretation as some of the others, but I saw it as a valid one that I hadn't seen previously, so I was interested in seeing what would happen with it.

Snyder films also are better when they are not cut down a ton in editing, I think his theatrical releases (even Sucker Punch) has suffered from overzealous editing to meet a particular run-time. So it is more a matter of whether one is put off by his sensibilities or not.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OMG THAT SCENE :rotfl:

It's a hilarious scene with everyone emulating him as if he opened the door for them to some profound universal wisdom. (This is why we don't do drugs, peeps.... :rofl1:)

I am a huge fan of this film. It takes Cage's excesses and utilizes them for the greater good; it's a riot to see Travolta and Cage each trying to play a character as it would have been played by the other; and despite the goofiness / excessive nature of the film, it dovetails perfectly with the acting, the script, etc. It's such a Woo-ian film and I love how it works despite it bypassing most of the rational parts of my brain.

Despite how awful the science is (I burst into laughter every time they freaking cut someone's hair on a face-transplant operating table -- like wtf??), I get choked up at certain parts of the film, like when Archer tells that a crazy story about he and his wife's memorable date (to prove his identity) and she has an appropriate response to it (it's such a mixed bag of feeling, love and anger all rolled up)... Joan Allen does a lot with a little there.

I dunno, that scene is like one of my favorite scenes out of any film I have ever seen.