• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, RIP Hugh Keays-Byrne

51A13D%2Buq6L._AC_SX466_.jpg

I myself will carry you through the gates of Valhalla. You shall ride eternal. Shiny, and chrome!

I read that, it was sad. :( Let us all drink a glass of water to celebrate his life!

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Only partway through my rewatch, but Troy is a very underrated movie. Anyone else like this? Sean Bean doesn't die in this because he has an Odyssey to do. Grand Maester Pycelle/ Walter Donovan/ General Veers also shows up in this towards the beginning.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sean Bean is James Bond in Goldeneye 1995. Now that’s something I wish had happened

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i will check them out but they don't look like scifi-horror based on premise...

I think it's funny when RT gives something a lot of thumbs up but IMDB doesn't like it as much. The way that IMDB skews, it kind of just tells me how one particular demographic feels about a film.

What is the difference between the two demographics, in your opinion? I am assuming you are referring to audience scores rather than critics.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I, uh, think this is real...?

This might be one of the few times I would ever recommend to read the comments [on YouTube].

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like to rewatch the opening Klingon battle from The Motion Picture. I think it’s still the most terrifying and awe inspiring set of visuals in any Star Trek film. The way we’re introduced to 3 imposing battle cruisers, only to have the camera swing around to show them dwarfed by the cloud. Magnificent. The new school of sfx could take note, you don’t always need spaceships buzzing around like bumblebees to convey action and danger. The music also contributes greatly. Goldsmith really was THE composer of the 20th century. Yes, I put him ahead of Williams, Horner, even Herrmann and Morricone. Personal preference

It’s also prime example of The Worf Effect trope. You want to show off how deadly an entity is? Have them wipe the floor with Klingons

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like to rewatch the opening Klingon battle from The Motion Picture. I think it’s still the most terrifying and awe inspiring set of visuals in any Star Trek film. The way we’re introduced to 3 imposing battle cruisers, only to have the camera swing around to show them dwarfed by the cloud. Magnificent. The new school of sfx could take note, you don’t always need spaceships buzzing around like bumblebees to convey action and danger. The music also contributes greatly. Goldsmith really was THE composer of the 20th century. Yes, I put him ahead of Williams, Horner, even Herrmann and Morricone. Personal preference

It’s also prime example of The Worf Effect trope. You want to show off how deadly an entity is? Have them wipe the floor with Klingons

It must have been a real shock to learn Klingons no longer looked like like a brownface Operation Double 007 Neil Connery.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been watching "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and it is a brilliant movie. When I live alone I tend to pick one movie that I keep playing in the background for like a month (maybe I'm neuro-atypical). It usually has a compelling overall mood and good soundtrack, but I get an opportunity to really see the intricacies this way.

My random thought, though, is that there are a lot of kinda shitty girlfriends in this movie. I don't think Joel really did anything wrong. It's mostly her, although she alternates it with fun and charm. And then Mary is obnoxious to Stan. Neither listen at all.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been watching "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and it is a brilliant movie. When I live alone I tend to pick one movie that I keep playing in the background for like a month (maybe I'm neuro-atypical). It usually has a compelling overall mood and good soundtrack, but I get an opportunity to really see the intricacies this way.

My random thought, though, is that there are a lot of kinda shitty girlfriends in this movie. I don't think Joel really did anything wrong. It's mostly her, although she alternates it with fun and charm. And then Mary is obnoxious to Stan. Neither listen at all.

Meh, though, to be fair... Clementine warned him that she was fucked up and that guys shouldn't look for her to complete them. I guess that's the hallmark of a really good movie about a relationship where you can see how both sides are justified.

Is Stan David Cross? I remember him acting kind of jerky, too

There were apparently deleted scenes of Joel with Naomi, who is mentioned a few times in the finished film. I wonder what those were like. They're on YouTube, it looks like. I'll have to watch them.

I feel like a really good companion piece to this is Her with Joaquim Phoenix. They're both romantic movies with a sci-fi concept and the tone is kind of similar. And they play with the themes about our ideals images of partners vs. the actual people we date.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

This is one of my favorite films (with a Charlie Kaufman script). I love how it casts Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet against type (in terms of their extroversion/introversion factor) and both pull it off.

I get Joel better, he's much closer to my personality than Clem's ESFP style personality... but I'm more aware of his faults as well. Yes, Clem is the more overtly destructive, yet I understand why she gets frustrated with Joel. She wants directness in expression of needs, whereas Joel shies away from conflict and has trouble knowing or telling her what he wants. But the very thing that frustrates both of them is also why they are drawn to each other -- they both hate and admire each other.

I love the subplot between the doctor and Mary as well. It's heart-wrenching. And Patrick... wtf man, it's one of the few times I've seen Elijah Wood cast this way, lol, it's a nice unexpected thing.

There's also a counterpoint between them and Joel's friends -- the couple that seems to fight a fair amount, yet they stay together because, well, they have decided it's okay for them to argue and not get along sometimes.

This film always makes me cry. It's kind of a lesson on the perils of trying to avoid pain and grief in one's relationships, or having unreasonable expectations or thinking the best relationships have no conflict or suffering involved. The more that Joel is stripped clean, the more he digs down and can vocalize what he was actually thinking and feeling and what he wanted and maybe didn't get. The memories on the beach are so sad. But I love how "meet me in Montauk" lingers. Even in the grief, there is still hope something better can be built.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is one of my favorite films (with a Charlie Kaufman script). I love how it casts Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet against type (in terms of their extroversion/introversion factor) and both pull it off.

I get Joel better, he's much closer to my personality than Clem's ESFP style personality... but I'm more aware of his faults as well. Yes, Clem is the more overtly destructive, yet I understand why she gets frustrated with Joel. She wants directness in expression of needs, whereas Joel shies away from conflict and has trouble knowing or telling her what he wants. But the very thing that frustrates both of them is also why they are drawn to each other -- they both hate and admire each other.

I love the subplot between the doctor and Mary as well. It's heart-wrenching. And Patrick... wtf man, it's one of the few times I've seen Elijah Wood cast this way, lol, it's a nice unexpected thing.

There's also a counterpoint between them and Joel's friends -- the couple that seems to fight a fair amount, yet they stay together because, well, they have decided it's okay for them to argue and not get along sometimes.

This film always makes me cry. It's kind of a lesson on the perils of trying to avoid pain and grief in one's relationships, or having unreasonable expectations or thinking the best relationships have no conflict or suffering involved. The more that Joel is stripped clean, the more he digs down and can vocalize what he was actually thinking and feeling and what he wanted and maybe didn't get. The memories on the beach are so sad. But I love how "meet me in Montauk" lingers. Even in the grief, there is still hope something better can be built.
I do think it is a brilliant movie, and I like both characters, but on seeing it repeatedly, I have a hard time seeing Joel as being at fault about much of anything. My personality is strangely half-way in-between, so I'm like their love-child. I think I'm more critical of Clem because I tend to force myself to not express hurtfully even though I feel deeply. I've also known actually destructive people with Joel's personality, so I know what it looks like when it is actually mean. Joel for whatever flaws he had in the movie is what I had hoped for in some relationships but ended up with something much worse - still quiet and distance, but far more cruel, so I end up feeling frustrated and angry at Clem for personal reasons, but I still like her.

I feel badly for Stan. His girlfriend is obsessed with his boss, she doesn't listen to anything important to him that he talks about, he has to watch her kissing his boss and then get slugged by the boss's wife. Kinda rough hand of cards to be dealt. Then he is simply nice to Mary. All of the characters are created with subtlety, depth, and authenticity.

The casting is brilliant because there is a way we have to forget who they were before the movie. The premise of the movie poses a profound question and doesn't attempt a pat answer, but let's us experience it instead. I find it a stunningly beautiful love story because after all that pain and failure, the very next day they find each other again. The closing scene after they hear each other's hurtful recordings is one of the purest expressions of love.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel badly for Stan. His girlfriend is obsessed with his boss, she doesn't listen to anything important to him that he talks about, he has to watch her kissing his boss and then get slugged by the boss's wife. Kinda rough hand of cards to be dealt. Then he is simply nice to Mary. All of the characters are created with subtlety, depth, and authenticity.

Yeah, Stan isn't necessarily a brilliant person... but he is a kind one, and he kind of has to watch all of this get away from him. Mary is oblivious to how she treats him. But he goes up to her at the car the next day, and you know he is still very sincere and wants her to have the best life she can. Maybe once she gets over things, there will be a future for them...

Even the doctor's wife has understandable reactions. I mean, Stan does try to warn her husband, but he does it out of good intent... I think so much of the film as you note in your last sentence is about real, authentic people -- and the film doesn't shy away from their human failings and longings. Patrick is maybe the worst person in the movie... but he also scans as a young man who is virtually unnoticed and this is his solution to inserting himself into someone's life and feeling important; it's just so wrong. In any case, most of the characters have good intent but just screw things up because they are still learning.

The closing scene after they hear each other's hurtful recordings is one of the purest expressions of love.

I just remember being floored the first time I saw that scene. It was such an eye-opener for me.