• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually think he was perfectly cast in this.

yeah, I mean it's my favorite Arnold movie, so it's hard for me to say that. He did have some great one-liners in this one

Do you think that his confused meathead vibe made for a perfect fit?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess it depends on the tone you want the movie to have.

I'm kind of mixed in terms of feelings, Arnold makes the film cheesier/lighter in tone than I personally prefer, but then again you have Ronny Cox chewing up the scenery (you can see the acid frothing from his teeth much of the film, he's so venomous), to the degree where I have to say Sharon Stone and freaking Michael Ironside actually offer the two most grounded performances in the film... so it's not all Arnold's fault. But yeah, if you had cast someone like Weller, maybe it would have more gravitas like Robocop... where again Ronnie is over the top but there's a kind of wounded pathos running under the film, making it move evocative despite the craziness and hilariously bloody moments....

I mean, I actually feel bad for Murphy throughout that film, it's like he is trying to regain his lost humanity and struggling, while having to rely on his robot side to do his job and keep him alive. He's the perfect tragic hero. And it's hilarious that Kurtwood Smith is in that film (predating Dead Poet's Society I think and way before he was popularized on That 70's Show) as Boddiker -- it's like the bad guys are kind of comical and yet feel kind of real. It's a great film in how it walks that line by keeping the serious tragic tone while having outrageous characters.

I don't really feel much towards Dennis Quaid, save maybe a vague yearning to find a life beyond the norm. I do appreciate that the film always leaves it up in the air about whether it's a fantasy or not, esp with the ending.

I do love Ronny Cox and Michael Ironside and I think they're both a big part of my enjoyment of Total Recall.

And for a long time, I just thought of Smith as the asshole dad from Dead Poet's. He's a pretty good character actor.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always thought John Wayne Westerns were (mostly) a bit too feel-good for my liking. Exceptions are The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Shootist. Give me that gritty shit. The Clint Eastwood and spaghetti western stuff (The Dollars Trilogy are my favorite Westerns personally).

I was always more of an Eastwood guy. The John Wayne shit always felt a little hokey for my tastes. I had a college roommate and we had many arguments over whether the Eastwood or Wayne styles were better. Wayne films tend to feel like power fantasies for overly patriotic dipshits, whereas Eastwood westerns tend to be about an individual just trying to get by but always dragged into others' conflicts. I think the Eastwood style had a bigger influence on modern film; also, I think that it fits more with the whole Campbellian Hero's Journey mode of storytelling.

I've heard Eastwood's The Man With No Name character referenced as the quintessential enneatype 9 character.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My brain wires are crossing a lot lately. Did I say Dennis Quaid? Rofl. I just mean the character Quaid.

I prefer Eastwood westerns to John Wayne's too. Henry fonda is great in "once upon a time in the west" too.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was always more of an Eastwood guy. The John Wayne shit always felt a little hokey for my tastes. I had a college roommate and we had many arguments over whether the Eastwood or Wayne styles were better. Wayne films tend to feel like power fantasies for overly patriotic dipshits, whereas Eastwood westerns tend to be about an individual just trying to get by but always dragged into others' conflicts. I think the Eastwood style had a bigger influence on modern film; also, I think that it fits more with the whole Campbellian Hero's Journey mode of storytelling.

I've heard Eastwood's The Man With No Name character referenced as the quintessential enneatype 9 character.

Precisely. John Wayne himself was also someone with some abhorrent views, so that's probably colored my views of the guy a bit, I admit. Eastwood's political views seem more rooted in principle to me, even if I disagree with them.

The Eastwood character arc is more realistic, I agree; it's never about someone with a patriotic savior complex, just surviving in a world littered with moral gray zones. I'd go so far as to say The Man With No Name character is the quintessential sp 9w8.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Precisely. John Wayne himself was also someone with some abhorrent views, so that's probably colored my views of the guy a bit, I admit. Eastwood's political views seem more rooted in principle to me, even if I disagree with them.

The Eastwood character arc is more realistic, I agree; it's never about someone with a patriotic savior complex, just surviving ina world littered with moral gray zones. I'd go so far as to say The Man With No Name character is the quintessential sp 9w8.

Yeah, when I learned about John Wayne's reaction to Marlon Brando having a native American woman accept his academy award for him, it just solidified my opinion that Wayne was just a privileged, bigoted bully.

It's thought his cancer may have been caused by filming a movie near a formal nuclear test site, a movie in which he donned yellow face to portray Genghis Khan. Makes sense if you believe in karma.

Eastwood can be a bit of a tool, and was allegedly a terrible husband to his wives, but he also made Gran Torino and championed black jazz musicians, so he gets a pass from me. He is likely an ISTP 9w8 in real life, so it makes sense that his views probably come more from personal principles than from any deep seated prejudices.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah, I mean it's my favorite Arnold movie, so it's hard for me to say that. He did have some great one-liners in this one

Do you think that his confused meathead vibe made for a perfect fit?

Yeah. I think the whole thing is just in the character's head, which makes the whole movie a parody of action heroes. If you think about it, aren't films not that different from what recall does? And aren't so many action movies "ego trips" like Quaid's Mars fantasy? The protagonists are often audience surrogates.

Somebody like Weller who you would take more seriously would undercut that.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just watched Octopussy, the last good Roger Moore Bond film. He managed 3 solid films: Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy.

One thing I notice is in his films he always plays Bond as a know-it-all. Like the guy who always crushes at trivia night or knows all the answers when he’s watching Jeopardy. It’s an interesting angle to the character

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"You learn things about people in this business..." "for instance, they're bipeds."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ready Player One is okay, but not up to the normal thoughtful standard of a Spielberg film. The script is just flat, is nowhere near what it might have been in terms of source material, and also has conflicting ideas over theme.

For example, it could have really made something of how virtually you can be someone totally unlike your real-life self and even joke about that.. but when push comes to shove, pretty much everyone is cast according to type cliches and especially the identity of Artemis is about as whitebread as you can get, with the most insignificant birth issue you could use for a film like this.

The film tries to have its cake and eat it too -- "oh no, being online all the time is bad for your well-rounded health" while literally glorifying being online throughout the film and slapping on a lame limit at the end (shutting down the Oasis two days a week to honor the "real world" -- leaving five virtual days including the weekend... so does this suggest the "real world" is actually more important??)

Finally, what tries to pass as creativity is simply the regurgitation of pop culture pastiche -- throwing in a bunch of familiar references often just in passing (the Sphere of Annihilation from D&D's "Tomb of Horrors", Krill's throwing blade, the DeLorean, Mech Godzilla, the list goes on and on). Even worse is when the film runs totally against the movie themes it is cribbing from, showing they are just stealing the imagery without actually grasping the meaning behind the visuals -- the most blatant case of this is The Iron Giant, who yes does make a spectacular 3D rendering and everyone loves him.... while using him as a violent weapon in this film, when the whole point of the ending of The Iron Giant is that he might have been designed as a weapon but he was more than that and could choose his own destiny (and he chooses to be a protector, not a destroyer) -- it was the whole point of that freaking film, to a tear-generating level. I do happen to be a pop culture nerd, but I think it works far better in parody (e.g., The Simpsons), not in a more serious film that seeks to generate internal importance of character and plot. You end up just pushing around the shadows of things, pretending they are substantial in themselves, while meanwhile diluting or draining the actual essence of them.

I think the high point is simply Mark Rylance's portrayal of eccentric tech zillionaire Willy Wonka... sorry, I mean, James Halladay. He does give a unique, quality performance. But very else about the film is actually thoughtful or groundbreaking.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just finished 1979's TV movie of Tobe Hooper's "Salem's Lot" on Shudder.

While it has some of the laughable trappings of a 70's made-for-TV film, I have to admit to being fairly happy with it. Yes, I did laugh at some points in the viewing, but at other times I was yelling "Holy shit!" at the TV and yelling at the characters to get away.

Hooper takes his time with reveals. You really don't get into the really overt vampire appearances until about the last hour (of three), aside from the startling one of the boy vampire about halfway through. UNtil then, it is just insinuated. But Hooper still manages to create a weird aura that demands some attention.

Barlow's appearances (when he finally makes them) are almost too in one's face (and he resembles the traditional nosferatu style vamp -- he's actually pretty unsettling but it's a little too in the face after toying with the viewers for over two hours with little to see).

The acting is decent enough. with James Mason as Straker and David Soul as Ben Mears... although Bonnie Bedelia is the obvious standout (the camera loves her), while the kid playing Mark Petrie is just... really... bad. Not enough to tank the movie, but he's pretty wooden.

So I was pleasantly surprised by this -- despite it being a King adaptation (which suck about 65-75% of the time), and it being made for 70's TV (which impacts budget, and filming/acting sensibilities, and puts a lock on what things can be shown on TV), it's actually enjoyable and doesn't feel super-long.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whatever happened to Charlie's Angels? Wasn't that a movie, or was it a TV show?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Was watching Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" last night and it struck me again how a few of the musical cues sounded like similar ones in the film "Highlander." (Typically the brass snippets at the end of the fantasy sequences and/or maybe the Tuttle sequences... can't recall right now.)

Checked the credits after I finished. Michael Kamen. He did both films. He actually did Highlander later, so it's a case more of his mirroring himself in the latter film, not in Brazil.

Listen to the fanfare bit from Brazil in this clip, from around 30-42 second marks (used as a theme for Harry Tuttle):

I'm having trouble finding a clip on youtube of a similar fanfare from Highlander but basically it highlights Kamen's love for open-chord brass fanfare at least in his early stuff.

[I also have to pitch in that Highlander is a frustrating movie -- its script drops into B movie territory a lot but is elevated by the casting/some of the performances, the topical matter which was cool at the time, but a great deal is also the soundtrack by Queen (which rocks / brings passion) + the transcendent scoring of Michael Kamen -- it's one of those cases where it's most obviously seen how a decent score can elevate a film beyond itself. It adds the emotional heft that might otherwise at times be lost.

I think James Horner is one of the most obvious and blatant offenders, swiping actual cues from earlier films to use in later ones (although he happened to just also do a lot of high profile films, so he's far more noticeable... versus composers who did more obscure films).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the same vein, I think the most blatant I have ever noticed is John Murphy. He uses the exact same four-chord sequence at climactic moments in multiple films: Sunshine (2007), 28 Days Later, and Kick-Ass are the few that come to mind, although it's possible he used the same sequence in more films.

And more:

Cracks me up, but I love watching films, not even knowing who composed the score, then hearing similarities to other things I've seen and realize later that it's the same guy.