• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think HBO picked up Cats but I didn't have the nine lives to survive it.

bb101110a87844ade615b99c1f5a976f8db26120.jpg

All he wanted was to go to the Heaviside layer. :(

Also I learned that Victoria was a Jellicle cat the whole time, she just needed to learn it in her heart. Apparently there was a minor controversy because the actress playing her had African heritage but she was playing a white cat. It's a cat! Also, it seems like the character is always a white cat just judging by the pictures.

In all seriousness, Jennifer Hudson is pretty good in this. Kind of like in Les Mis when Anne Hathaway did "I Dreamed a Dream." I will never live this down, but when she sings "Memories" it actually did make my eyes well up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched the Criterion copy of "The Breakfast Club" that just came in.

I never saw it in the theater when it came out -- there are so many things I wish I had done when younger, I feel like my rural upbringing + religious upbringing prevented me from experiencing a lot of things first-hand like others of my generation (when I get together with my Chicago cousin, who is two years younger in me, I wish I had done half the things she had done even if her religious mom thought she was the "bad kid," she grew up near the urban Philly centers so she had access to a lot more urban culture than I did) and I missed out. I had the squeaky goody-two shoes intro to life (even if my mind was very free in terms of what I read about and thought about), while she was pretty much into anything regardless of how society felt about it. I wish we lived closer, I would see her a lot more often.

Anyway, for what it was at the time, this film is so great at summing up feelings and attitudes, while maintaining both a funny and very serious tone. We were all trying to carve our our own identities over that time, and even if we had our own groups, we were also open to challenges so that everyone might have a place. At least that's how I feel about Generation X, we were "latchkey" kids and grew up mostly unsupervised.

I really identify (unsurprisingly) with the nerd/geek sector in this film, personally. Brian Johnson (Anthony Michael Hall) is such a Nine type, he's always using his rationality to try to get everyone just to be friends and not fight, to treat each other equally. I like it near the end when they are all being honest about whether they will ditch each other on Monday, and some admit the peer pressure is too great... and the idea to him is honestly astonishing; he would never dream of it. because his mentality and thought process is that they shared this experience and a lot of truth with each other, and he can't undo that, hence he will feel connected to them and they have a place with him. Also, out of all the problems expressed by kids in the film, the "getting straight A's" and being tempted to pad your grades is something I totally identify with, including how awful the shame is when you fail something and your parents are on your case about it. (I really love his acting in the scene where he talks about why he got sent to detention. It's so god-awful and yet hilarious at once, and AMH pulls it off, he is even able to laugh at himself by the end.)

Not sure how I feel about the VERY end, a few things wrap up a little too neat.

I do find it funny that most of the kids (and of course John Hughes, the director) are not really Generation X. I think the only two true Gen X folks in there are Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall -- we were all born in the same year, actually. The generations are kind of rigid in how they are treated, but they don't IRL break that cleanly, and people at the end points might fall into either.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The ending of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome is really fucking dumb when you think about it. So the plane carries the kids to the ruins of Sydney. By the looks of it, it’s been obliterated by a nuclear holocaust and the harbor appears to be dried out. So they take refuge in a bombed out shithole that is probably riddled with radiation and devoid of clean water and food. They left a bountiful oasis for this and will probably die miserable deaths as a result. Max helped send them to their deaths.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i’ve seen the first austin powers movie probably a dozen times in my life, and it wasn’t until my last viewing that i realized the name was Basil Exposition and not “Basil Expedition” and that i had completely been missing out on the joke for years :doh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Director's Cut of Midsommar is back in stock (however briefly) on the A24 site. Get them before the scalpers do, if you are interested. It's the price of a Criterion disc (not on sale) but it's got a cloth book with it, plus 30-40 minutes of extra footage -- both 4K and standard bluray.

The scalpers bought out the stock ASAP on the first run and were selling it for $150-200 on eBay.

Midsommar Director's Cut: Collector's Edition -- A24 Shop

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I was just going to blow this off, considering the book itself ("The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" -- would any author BESIDES King have been able to sell this book and make a publisher money?) and how many books by King were made into lame films and/or aren't really easily translated to screen; but then I saw that Lynne Ramsay was tapped to direct and it is actually a good fit for the source material.

Silver Lining: Stephen King Movie Takes Big Step Forward Just A Few Days After The Outsider Gets Cancelled - CINEMABLEND

Ramsay's directing style actually can tap into the surreal and internal elements of the story, which essentially only has one character. We Need to Talk about Kevin and You Were Never Really Here show she has the chops for it...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This made me laugh my ass off when I first saw it.

I think there's a certain smugness in the recording that adds to the comedy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah, to be honest, those moments are some of the better bits of the film.

It's kind of a bold, in your face film -- unapologetic and almost haughty (in an amusing way) at times.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I ever have a son I'm going to name him Leon. That way, when he gets into the professional world, he can say he's "Leon the Professional."

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, to be honest, those moments are some of the better bits of the film.

It's kind of a bold, in your face film -- unapologetic and almost haughty (in an amusing way) at times.

I thought it was a much smarter movie than I initially thought (which seems to often be the case with Verhoeven; the involvement of Phillip K. Dick and Dan O'Bannon probably doesn't hurt either). In reality it was actually a parody of the sort of movie I thought it would be.. this is all one guy's ego trip. It's very meta.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I might have mentioned Amazon seemed to have 50% off sales on some Criterion films right now. (Not sure if that is still ongoing.)

However, Barnes and Noble's annual Criterion 50% off sale is currently in place through Sunday, I think. This is a really great deal if you are into the Criterion packages, where the bluray can run $40 -- now you can pick up some really great films across the history of cinema, typically in the highest quality of transfer available (not 4K, but the best bluray quality) along with quality supplemental material both on the disc and usually some kind of printed material as part of the package as well. Some of these films might not be available in other formats.

Also, they are having an Arrow Film 50% sale as well. Arrow is kind of the "Criterion" of sometimes lower-quality but cult-following horror/suspense films. They have some really decent films (An American Werewolf in London, Hellraiser, Robocop, Donnie Darko, etc.) in their mix, along with a range of B-horror with cult followings, as well as stuff like Argento (Deep Red, etc.), Pitch Black, Crimson Peak, etc., and even some non-horror stuff like Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, etc., in nice package and a decent transfer. Again, recommended for a review simply because they normally cost $30-40 a pop but now are half off. It's that time of year when I see what I wanted to add to my collection and select a few things since the prices are so much more affordable for a good-quality package.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tony Soprano was really a terrible decision maker and let blood ties cloud his judgment. I would've made Patsy Parisi my underboss and heir, keep Silvio as consiglieri though. Bobby Bacala and Chris Moltisanti didn't have the makings of varsity mafia leaders. Patsy had a cold, calculated intelligence about him that Tony's other underlings lacked. You'd think their kids getting engaged would have made Patsy an ideal heir.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think there's a certain smugness in the recording that adds to the comedy.

Yeah. I wonder how this movie would have been with a more rounded actor as Quaid. I love Arnold and this is one of his definitive movies IMO, but I feel the whole identity thing could've played better with a different actor. Like, Peter Weller, maybe? Verhoeven's weakest point might be in sometimes miscasting his films. Like I think Starship Troopers could've been better with the two leads played by better actors. Weller was a great Murphy/Robocop though.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah. I wonder how this movie would have been with a more rounded actor as Quaid. I love Arnold and this is one of his definitive movies IMO, but I feel the whole identity thing could've played better with a different actor. Like, Peter Weller, maybe? Verhoeven's weakest point might be in sometimes miscasting his films. Like I think Starship Troopers could've been better with the two leads played by better actors. Weller was a great Murphy/Robocop though.

I actually think he was perfectly cast in this.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess it depends on the tone you want the movie to have.

I'm kind of mixed in terms of feelings, Arnold makes the film cheesier/lighter in tone than I personally prefer, but then again you have Ronny Cox chewing up the scenery (you can see the acid frothing from his teeth much of the film, he's so venomous), to the degree where I have to say Sharon Stone and freaking Michael Ironside actually offer the two most grounded performances in the film... so it's not all Arnold's fault. But yeah, if you had cast someone like Weller, maybe it would have more gravitas like Robocop... where again Ronnie is over the top but there's a kind of wounded pathos running under the film, making it move evocative despite the craziness and hilariously bloody moments....

I mean, I actually feel bad for Murphy throughout that film, it's like he is trying to regain his lost humanity and struggling, while having to rely on his robot side to do his job and keep him alive. He's the perfect tragic hero. And it's hilarious that Kurtwood Smith is in that film (predating Dead Poet's Society I think and way before he was popularized on That 70's Show) as Boddiker -- it's like the bad guys are kind of comical and yet feel kind of real. It's a great film in how it walks that line by keeping the serious tragic tone while having outrageous characters.

I don't really feel much towards Quaid, save maybe a vague yearning to find a life beyond the norm. I do appreciate that the film always leaves it up in the air about whether it's a fantasy or not, esp with the ending.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always thought John Wayne Westerns were (mostly) a bit too feel-good for my liking. Exceptions are The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Shootist. Give me that gritty shit. The Clint Eastwood and spaghetti western stuff (The Dollars Trilogy are my favorite Westerns personally).