• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Quiz] Which of these defense mechanisms do you lean on?

á´…eparted

passages
Regression: 30
Displacement: 30
Denial: 10
Repression: 10
Intellectualization: 50
Reaction formation: 20
Projection: 30
Compensation: 60

This ultimately is only somewhat informative, and I suspect the same is for most other people as well.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Regression: 0
Displacement: 40
Repression: 30
Intellectualization: 10
Reaction formation: 0
Projection: 30
Compensation: 20

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
:(

Regression: 90
Denial: 40
Repression: 60
Intellectualization: 20
Reaction formation: 40
Projection: 20
Compensation: 70

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
:(

Regression: 90
Compensation: 70

You're winning too :hifive:
Let us join forces fellow dread lord and together we shall usher in a new era of...stuff...and...things...and probably some other ...shit. :solidarity:

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
Displacement: 50
Denial: 0
Intellectualization: 40
Projection: 50
Compensation: 40

Hmmmn. Not sure about the displacement. I sure may act moody/annoyed but I would never just randomly start a fight, let alone yell at my 'spouse' (or anyone else),...

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Regression: 50
Displacement: 0
Denial: 20
Repression: 50
Projection: 10

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Regression: 10
Intellectualization: 70
Reaction formation: 10
Projection: 40
Compensation: 10

If isolation was an option, I probably would've scored very high on that one as well. Nonetheless, this is probably pretty close, I think projection should probably be lower and reaction formation should probably be higher, but nonetheless my top two are very relevant

The Cat

Staff member

Hmmmn. Not sure about the displacement. I sure may act moody/annoyed but I would never just randomly start a fight, let alone yell at my 'spouse' (or anyone else),...

What about inanimate objects?

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
What about inanimate objects?

Hmmn. I sure checked "I sometimes feel like punching a hole in the wall" because I sure do feel like it but I would never do it, since I feel as if something is holding me back, I physically can't. And okay okay, sometimes I cuss at my phone...

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Repression: 20
Compensation: 30

Regression.

Psychological regression is a childish way of dealing with challenges. Drinking, overeating, and other forms of escapism are all examples of regression.
Who writes this nonsense? Have they ever met children IRL? Were they ever children? Also, why is this called "regression" instead of "compensation"?
Also, what does it have to do with "challenges"? It's probably almost solely based on "When upset, I tend to overeat, drink alcohol, or sleep excessively."
Pleasure compensates for pain. It's about balance.
I feel intense hatred towards whoever came up with that stuff.

Displacement.

Displacement is considered to be a neurotic mechanism, which means it is always negative and may take a toll on your relationships.

When displacement is used, your aggressive impulses are directed to an nonthreatening target that has nothing to do with whatever made you upset.

For example, you may start a fight with your spouse after having a hard day at work, or you may yell at your children because you are upset with your spouse.

The displacement technique is different from sublimation.

When sublimation is used, your negative emotions are transformed into something positive. For example, if you are going for a run to get rid of anger, you are using the sublimation technique.
"Nonthreatening target". All my replies were related to items - aka targets that feel no pain. I wish whoever invented that stuff was banned from practising psychology forever.

Compensation.

Psychological compensation is an attempt to compensate for real or imagined flaws in one area by excelling in another area.

For example, someone who fails academically may compensate by becoming a great athlete, or someone who is physically weak may compensate by concentrating on their studies or career.

Unattractive people may compensate by becoming great lovers or attentive partners.

Compensation may be positive or negative. While positive compensation helps overcome challenges, negative compensation increases the feeling of inferiority.
WHO WRITES THAT STUFF???!!!

I think y'all low scores are lying to the internet. ;)
There's also a possibility that you clicked everything vaguely relatable without paying attention to words specifying frequency.

The Cat

Staff member
Hmmn. I sure checked "I sometimes feel like punching a hole in the wall" because I sure do feel like it but I would never do it, since I feel as if something is holding me back, I physically can't. And okay okay, sometimes I cuss at my phone...

*Trumpet fanfare* Displacement! w00t!

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your scores for each defense mechanism can be found below. The higher the score, the more you use it.
Repression: 70
Intellectualization: 70

Bleh

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Your scores for each defense mechanism can be found below. The higher the score, the more you use it.
Compensation: 30

Jaysus i have issues , so i become child like and take it out on other people when i get mad...

In my defense, i am a hot mess. Also in my defense i work on these reactions all the time but its a constant struggle

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Regression: 20
Intellectualization: 60
Compensation: 50

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Regression: 80
Displacement: 70
Denial: 30
Repression: 40
Intellectualization: 30
Projection: 80
Compensation: 50

Regression
Psychological regression is a childish way of dealing with challenges. Drinking, overeating, and other forms of escapism are all examples of regression.

Projection
Projection is a coping technique that helps reduce anxiety by attributing one’s unacceptable behavior to somebody else.
For example, your spouse may accuse you of being mean and not letting them talk while, in reality, it’s your spouse who doesn’t let you talk.
Another example would be when you dislike someone without any apparent reason.
To reduce your anxiety and to justify your feelings, you start thinking that it’s that person who doesn’t like you in the first place.
In extreme cases, people who use this defense mechanism may appear paranoid. They will display extreme distrust of others and build conspiracy theories.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
escapism

I think this is definitely a coping mechanism for me, but its not curable, at heart i want to escape everything. I want to be with the wild ones.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Regression: 0
Displacement: 20
Intellectualization: 60
Compensation: 0

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Regression: 40

Repression: 0

Descriptions:

Regression fits with being a 9. Yep. 999999[SUB]999[/SUB]

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Denial: 20
Intellectualization: 30

Interpretation and examples in order of highest score.

Intellectualization.

Psychological intellectualization is an attempt to deal with frustration and anxiety by leaving our emotions behind and concentrating on the rational analysis of upsetting events.

An example of this would be a patient diagnosed with a serious illness who deals with his anxiety by reading everything he can find about his diagnosis.

People who tend to use intellectualization may also use rationalization, another coping mechanism.

The difference between intellectualization and rationalization is that rationalization typically involves minimizing the importance of upsetting events or giving excuses.

For example, if your job interview didn’t go successfully, you may be tempted to say you weren’t that interested anyway.

Denial.

Psychological denial is a common coping mechanism.

In essence, denial is an attempt to reduce anxiety and worry by refusing to accept reality.

A woman may deny there is a lump in her breast. An overweight person may insist she is big-boned. Many overly optimistic and overly positive people are using denial as their dominant coping strategy.

Compensation.

Psychological compensation is an attempt to compensate for real or imagined flaws in one area by excelling in another area.

For example, someone who fails academically may compensate by becoming a great athlete, or someone who is physically weak may compensate by concentrating on their studies or career.

Unattractive people may compensate by becoming great lovers or attentive partners.

Compensation may be positive or negative. While positive compensation helps overcome challenges, negative compensation increases the feeling of inferiority.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Repression: 20
Reaction formation: 30
Compensation: 10