• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Question for those good at reading people

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, so this is a question directed at those who say that they can read people. Especially directed at NFJs since they seem to brag about this skill, but is really for anyone who believes they are good at understanding people.

Question: How do you know you are right?

Like how do you know that Susan secretly hates Barbra? How do you know whether someone has bad intention? Are you able to catch when you are wrong. What is the line between trusting your people intuition (not necessarily mbti intuition), and trusting what someone else says about them self?

Why should I believe that you are good at reading people?

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
You'll see it. You'll just observe. XD it comes naturally. Well I'm good at reading people a lot.

That's actually a very hard question to be answered as this is online lol. No proof.

Gestures, behavior, sometimes you'll just see the obvious. XD

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You'll see it. You'll just observe. XD it comes naturally. Well I'm good at reading people a lot.

That's actually a very hard question to be answered as this is online lol. No proof.

Gestures, behavior, sometimes you'll just see the obvious. XD

That's what I thought.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, so this is a question directed at those who say that they can read people. Especially directed at NFJs since they seem to brag about this skill, but is really for anyone who believes they are good at understanding people.

These are really good questions btw, and I somewhat hesitate to answer because I have invested a lot of energy into attempting to understand other people and sometimes am clear about it, but it isn't everyone. I am the most mystified by "normal" people, so I mostly have a clear sense of people's more basic, instinctual impulses and can be wrong in my predictions of behavior because I don't overlay the expectations of social norms and customs as effectively onto others. I think some people, especially those with command of Fe, can be excellent at predicting behaviors because they are conscious of the social norms and expectations that the majority of people follow. This can even be done unconsciously, just assumed to be the way people are going to operate.

I have a lot of self-doubt about reading people, but I know when I'm right when I observe outcomes.

Like how do you know that Susan secretly hates Barbra? How do you know whether someone has bad intention? Are you able to catch when you are wrong. What is the line between trusting your people intuition (not necessarily mbti intuition), and trusting what someone else says about them self?
The times I get impressions it is because I read facial expressions, body language, behavioral patterns, and sometimes the way they use language. Language is a more complex way to read people though, because it is a complex mix of truth and artifice. Sometimes people say the exact opposite of what they feel or intend, but that can also be a cue. For example, I know one music teacher who had a recital where her students played for 15 minutes, then she performed for 1.5 hours. Before she started she went on and on about how talented her students were and that she was intimidated to follow their performances. However, the scheduling of only a few minutes for students and such a long period of time for herself suggests that she wanted to force her performance onto them, require they be there, give them a token performance, but then have it really be about her. I think her words were the opposite of her actual feeling - the time allotments demonstrated she was proud and focused on herself more than her students.

I think I can also read sexual interest in people's expressions and body language, or if they feel angry, or sad. I generally don't know the details, but can read the general feeling. Sometimes I do get specific impressions about people's feelings but I consider these non-verifiable and just store them as impressions. If I keep getting the same impression then I'll be aware of it and include it in my internal hypothesis about people to see if it plays out.

You shouldn't. If we communicate enough and I were able to demonstrate an understanding of people, then it would make sense to believe it, but I don't want people to take me at my word because more people think they are correct in their assumptions of others than really are. If you believe me, you'll believe all of them and be misled. It is also possible that I'm only average at it, so my self-perception of it is not proof.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You shouldn't believe me :shrug:

In fact, I don't consider myself necessarily good at it, just mightily intrigued. That said, I do get regular feedback that I don't..exactly suck at it, either. I'll admit it's nice to hear that your hunches are spot on, and moreso, your approach in using that information useful and can even be healing to others.

Meanwhile, this is how I go about things: I base my conclusions on the patterns I see, that I recognise and have explored before. And have verified before. I tend to ask...personal questions, especially when I'm one on one talking to someone. And people happily share and talk about themselves when they're in a safe, understanding environment. Patterns in their behaviour (bodylanguage, the way they responded to certain situations, how they slant and skew their own personal story, what they avoid, what they're drawn to, what the effect of that particular environment was and what the likely damage/benefit of that situation was), and so on) emerge as they talk about their past, their hopes and their fears and so on, effectively providing you with a personality map to what they value over what in life and why. And when you observe them later on in a social environment, the triggers for those behaviours become a pattern on their own you start to notice.

Once you observe that about a 100 times, you have a pretty accurate map of the likely reasons behind a trigger that leads to a specific behaviour, narrowing it down. When you then take those options and ask the necessary questions to verify your hunch...voila, the answer :shrug:

Iow, the answer is 'Ive asked, repeatedly, and was curious enough to backtrack the answers, for years.' And from that, I can have a reasonable idea of what is likely going through someone's head. Add to that my own experiences and patterns and behaviours, allowing me access to empathic information from that, which I then can adjust for their own values and background information (as that will greatly vary their experience) and I can do an estimate of how the situation must be impacting them, giving me a good starting point for what they likely need right now, and as you approach them with that good starting point, you can hone in and fine-tune based on the way they're responding to you at that precise moment.

It's never perfect, and it's never completely correct...kinda like a flight simulator. But it sure comes in handy.

Granted, it can also make people incredibly uncomfortable, paranoid and even fearful that you seem to have all this information about them - usually those are the ones that are not comfortable with vulnerability and that haven't really had that one on one with, but who are displaying very recognisable patterns you've encountered before in others. It helps to either make it clear you have no harmful intent with that info, or to keep from acting on that intel - which..admittedly can be hard as it becomes second nature.

In short - it's just like any other skill you can hone. It has its benefits and downsides. You'll never be perfect at it, so you'll never stop learning, or being wrong. But you can become a lot better and a lot more aware of it, providing you with infinitely valuable intel on how to approach certain situations - like any skill.

I might as well ask the same question about the people that muck about with spring theory, tbh. I can trust that they actually have a skill that I don't and spent a lot of time refining it, therefore taking their word for the fact that string theory actually has value, or dismiss it as wishful thinking. Neither would really affect them or their expertise, and the same is true here.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Intuition isn't really reading people. That's like saying...i am good at reading a book because I can predict based off of the title. Also I find a lot of people who say they can read do so at a very shallow level. Others know an external pattern and apply a single internal read across everyone that does it. Using external to read internal without much attention to internal accuracy.

I tend to ask and learn and just constantly get better at reading with accuracy in mind. When someone assumes you lose the little details...your understanding becomes stagnant. The more you do that the less accurate you will be.

I have been told by many I am good at reading people which creates an understanding of them.

Reading is not about guessing or knowing...thats guessing or knowing...reading is about actually reading.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think nfjs are interested in people and also good at noticing patterns and inconsistencies in them. They are also interested in helping facilitate people's potential being realized. I think for me, I am good especially at recognizing the meanings of behaviours I have experience with, and I'm usually good at predicting the likely outcome or result of a course of action, as it is one of the ways I navigate. I'm bad at responding quickly and in the moment, so rely on prediction and avoidance of certain courses of action to get results I can work with.

Nfjs are geared to pay attention to certain pieces of information that some people find uninteresting or irrelevant that may offer useful clues, while ignoring other information that others would notice easily. So I'd say we have some unusual observational skills, while overlooking other important information or distorting it by accident.

I would say nfjs aren't terribly good at reading situations and people when it involves themselves too closely. They find it harder to see clearly and they often become overinvested in making things work and are too trusting of or need solid tangible confirmation of negative hunches about people they have positive history with or who have earned their trust in the past. They also sometimes see what could be more than what is.

At least that's my experience.

Blacksheep2017

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I think nfjs are interested in people and also good at noticing patterns and inconsistencies in them.

This is exactly what I do to read people. I pay attention to the details of what they say. I am good at remembering stories, descriptions and actions they claim to have taken. Any inconsistencies in those that arise in later conversations or if I catch them in lies raises red flags for me and I will actually start to only listen or analyze for continued incrimination. After I feel they have given too much away, I will decide to abandon a relationship because I value trust and loyalty. Can't stand liars.

I have always felt that my "God given gift" was my intuition. My subconscious will actually pick up body language cues and sound the sirens while my conscious mind is doing the above method to validate my initial bad vibes (or good) on someone. I have met a couple of people where my stomach will literally be in knots and I'll instantly know to put guards up because something doesn't feel right. This was especially true when I met my best friends ex-boyfriend who ended up being an abusive asshole. I knew it before she did.

For me, I've always had luck in finding trustworthy people who speak freely. If they are honest to the point of saying things about themselves that other people wouldn't dare say, that's a first sign of vulnerability and authenticity to me. I value open communication. As long as their story stays consistent, that's usually what will determine my final (first impression) judgment on someone's character.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I often wonder about this as well. I don't claim to be good at reading people, but I have noticed that people are often bad at reading me. At least when they share what they have "read", it is wrong at least as often as it is right.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have had too much BS projected onto me to ever claim I am good at it. It seems the more confident people are in their ability to do this, the more grief I have in my life.

Oh sure, I pick up on energies between people and get a sense of discrepancy between an outer demeanor and internal emotional state, but I don't draw many conclusions. If given an opportunity, I may seek to confirm it with the individual usually by asking simple questions. I certainly have been wrong in my hunches which is why I don't form conclusions based solely off them or try to influence others with my mere impressions.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Noticing isn't the same as acting upon or believing.

Even if I've got some 'vibe' about a person I wait for more evidence unless circumstances (being led into a dangerous dark alley metaphor) make time a pressing matter to assess the individual. It's easy to cobble together a narrative about other's motivations. I'm as guilty as anyone else for projecting nonsense onto others when the real issue is myself because I'm not being aware of my emotional content. I'm trying to stay away from that shit.

[MENTION=25892]Smilephantomhive[/MENTION]

It's the same as any action in the world. How long can one wait before deciding certain aspects of a person? Yet still remain open to contradictory behaviour? I find it best to allow the non-entity of identity to demonstrate it's lack of stable grounding in most people (if not all people) to show where our actions might lead.

The point is, as you assumed, that it is not a logical sequence of step by step observations running to a final conclusion. Mainly because the information moves too fast to be observed in that way, except in specific, scientific environments with control groups etc...

Although after all this, I still wouldn't say I was good at reading people. If anything I'm best at predicting how someone will react in a set of circumstances based on collected evidence of the most consistent behaviours.

Also:

^Although now that makes me an ego-maniac.

PS: I'm probably not one to say I'm good at reading people though. If anything I'm more easily read.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8

Ye can read someone without understanding what ye're seeing. I tend to get a very accurate sense of negative (even when extremely subtle) emotions, for instance, without necessarily knowing why someone is in said snit to begin with - or even whom the emotions are directed at.

I tend to receive confirmation via difficult conversations.

Personally, my tendency to observe minute details in the countenance, tone of voice, etc, of others developed as a coping mechanism in a very negative home. If I could predict my parent's extremely mercurial mood swings, I could manage the situation better - calm or distract them. 'Tis simply a lifetime of practice, not a bloody superpower.

I rarely get gut reactions, so when I distrust or dislike someone right off the bat I listen to it. It normally means they have a similar bearing, behavioural patterns, facial expressions as dangerous (emotionally or otherwise) people I have known in the past. I don't really listen to what others say about themselves when it comes to stating what they are. My opinion develops as a result of the million minuscule details ye notice throughout the day - it paints a picture of who they are.

Cheers. :coffee:

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I often wonder about this as well. I don't claim to be good at reading people, but I have noticed that people are often bad at reading me. At least when they share what they have "read", it is wrong at least as often as it is right.

Yeah, but what if they are right. How do you know who is right, where is the line drawn?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, but what if they are right. How do you know who is right, where is the line drawn?
Well, if they are making a claim about my feelings or motivations, it's pretty easy for me to tell whether they are right. As I wrote before, they are wrong at least as often as they are right. If they are right, AND I have not deliberately shared this information with them, I consider them intrusive, and try to do better at keeping such information to myself.

It is due to this significant error rate that I rarely if at all will assume the same sorts of things about others. If I think I have a good sense of reading someone on something that is important, I will ask instead, and accept what they say. I find things work out better that way, even if they are not being honest.

acd

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I rarely share my readings with others because I know there's always a chance I am wrong

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I am good at reading people in the sense that I share my observations with people and actively listen to people. I pick up on patterns on how someone will interact in many different contexts and suss out the most likely outcome. I would say that I am good 85% of the time.

Plus, I confirm or deny with the person after I feel like I have gathered enough information. The perks of being an extrovert...

The few people I have had a strong gut reaction against almost always caused a lot of drama in my life at least in a peripheral way (sometimes it took a few years to truly surface) and my closest friends trust my overall assessment of people.

I have yet to meet any creepers off dating sites so I figure my people radar is pretty good.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think you'll never know the motives of a person 100 percent. You can assume, even ask questions, but they could be lying. And be quite good at it. And you may not have a chance to prove if what they're stating is the truth. So I just believe what I assume but I'm always looking for more information to prove my theory.

Asking a ton of questions does help if you are unsure of something. Yes, you may will be lied to. But the chances aren't too bad you'll get the truth.
I think comparing their actions with what they're saying is one of the biggest help to figure out people. I look at that very closely.
Most of the time what I assume turns out to be the truth. But I do have that "oh my god, I was so wrong" moments on rare occasions. :shrug:
As a human being you're just prone to fallacies, projections and also bad communication. Basically, know your bias and it'll be easier to read people more objectively. But even then you may fail from time to time. It's normal.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I gotto say, one of the things that irks me is that this stuff is always questioned and considered hubris. :shrug:

Other skills are considered staples and you get condescended on for not making them your priority. Many, you can brag about loudly and nobody will actually doubt you because it's considered to be self-evident that they're a) useful and b) something you clearly mastered. Hell, you even get condescended on for daring to voice that you don't see the use in them and you don't understand the self-appointed expert when they talk about their area of expertise, let alone dare to insinuate that their area of expertise doesn't exist, and that they must be doing it wrong. And making them prove it, and using your own level of laymen understanding aka 'If I dont get it, then it doesn't exist' -judgement is considered ridiculous and downright disrespectful, coz clearly, you're too stupid to follow them and exceedingly arrogant for daring to claim that if you cannot understand it, it doesn't exist.

Especially ironic is the fact that people who are actually damned good at this often consider humility a virtue and therefore don't tout their skills and when they do, they get the whole :thelook: treatment, coz they're either must be manipulative or alleging something that cannot be true. Meanwhile, it gets taken for granted that the ENFJ at the office works hard to get people a nice, productive and peaceful work environment and everyone just takes for granted that that is just the way it is, and always should be. Nobody seems to be the wiser that this is something that takes oodles of work.

Anycase, :soapbox: over.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I gotto say, one of the things that irks me is that this stuff is always questioned and considered hubris. :shrug:

Other skills are considered staples and you get condescended on for not making them your priority. Many, you can brag about loudly and nobody will actually doubt you because it's considered to be self-evident that they're a) useful and b) something you clearly mastered. Hell, you even get condescended on for daring to voice that you don't see the use in them and you don't understand the self-appointed expert when they talk about their area of expertise, let alone dare to insinuate that their area of expertise doesn't exist, and that they must be doing it wrong. And making them prove it, and using your own level of laymen understanding aka 'If I dont get it, then it doesn't exist' -judgement is considered ridiculous and downright disrespectful, coz clearly, you're too stupid to follow them and exceedingly arrogant for daring to claim that if you cannot understand it, it doesn't exist.

Especially ironic is the fact that people who are actually damned good at this often consider humility a virtue and therefore don't tout their skills and when they do, they get the whole :thelook: treatment, coz they're either must be manipulative or alleging something that cannot be true. Meanwhile, it gets taken for granted that the ENFJ at the office works hard to get people a nice, productive and peaceful work environment and everyone just takes for granted that that is just the way it is, and always should be. Nobody seems to be the wiser that this is something that takes oodles of work.

E's tend to know people I's a person. Different ways of dealing with world.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Well I guess I was taking it from a therapist stand point, or even just a friend acting as an armchair therapist, like they tell you that you are one way, but what if you disagree with them? Who should be trusted more?