• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychologist's Test: Creativity & Problem Solving

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
RAT
Random Associates Test​

What word connects these groups of three?

*Edited* Because I have realized how crappy my directions are. (BLUSH)

Each of the problems below consists of three “clue” words. For each problem, think of a fourth word that relates to, or links, each of the other three “clue” words.

Example:
Elephant–Lapse–Vivid

1. crab, sauce, tree

2. stone, ice, head

3. head, book, tree

4. tissue, top, shoe

5. rock, nail, time

6. grab, shoulder, paper

7. wrist, dog, man

8. walk, wedding, pan

9. fiber, wine, ceiling

10. shake, made, second

11. surf, school, room

12. feed, silver, table

13. hair, fire, stroke

14. cup, party, green

Last edited:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my answers

checked my answers got 4 out of 14

p.s. what is this test suppose to prove?

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
9/14

From Wikipedia: "The correct response is often the most common response and does not link the other three words in any conceptual way."

Ah, okay. That confused me when I started. I looked at the spoilers after guessing the first two, then I got the hang of it.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
p.s. what is this test suppose to prove?

It is a test that Psychologist's (or sometimes Employer's) use to gauge a person's creativity or ability to problem solve.

I apologize to both you and [MENTION=18763]Ghost[/MENTION] for how '1/2 assed' the instructions were!

9/14

From Wikipedia: "The correct response is often the most common response and does not link the other three words in any conceptual way."

Ah, okay. That confused me when I started. I looked at the spoilers after guessing the first two, then I got the hang of it.

You beat me :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It is a test that Psychologist's (or sometimes Employer's) use to gauge a person's creativity or ability to problem solve.

I apologize to both you and [MENTION=18763]Ghost[/MENTION] for how '1/2 assed' the instructions were!

You beat me :D

how does it measure people's creativity if there's only one answer for each? seems like it wants to seee if you can think a certain way.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"A possible weakness of this test is its focus on verbal associative habits – meaning it might be more difficult for non-native speakers of English. Also, it may not favour those who are more comfortable with visual thinking.
Some researchers have even suggested that the links between the words aren’t functional, and that this may undermine the validity of the test. For this reason, they have created a new type of test: the FRAT (functional remote associates test), which focuses only on groups with a functional relationship.
Despite the popularity of the RAT Test there is still little evidence linking ability in the test with success in any specific field. However some studies have shown some validity to the test, i.e. high RAT test scorers also being shown as more productive when brainstorming solutions to complex problems."

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i first saw this the other day, so i opened the first two to see what was going on... the rest i was able to do on my own (though some took more time than others)...

oh! i nearly forgot... this is similar to one of "my games"... let me explain the rules... the goal is to make a series of three words using two word phrases... here are some examples...

comic strip tease (the title i will use if i turn this into a comic)
life long division
failing health plan
cosmic awareness march
pocket rocket launcher
silver tongue fetish
civic center mass
personal attack helicopter
big head case

the general goal is to find funny combos, but i am waking up (so i am not all that funny currently)...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For several items, I came up with different answers that seem equally valid, e.g. for "head, book, tree" my answer was "knowledge". What does that signify?

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
[MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] I agree with your observations. I did not score highly because I had my own words for several of the choices.

I think it is a bit like "Family Feud". Part of it is not only attempting to find the common word, but ascertaining which would be most commonly used. Only the 'top selected' score. Whether that is a positive or negative is for discussion, I suppose :)

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
i first saw this the other day, so i opened the first two to see what was going on... the rest i was able to do on my own (though some took more time than others)...

oh! i nearly forgot... this is similar to one of "my games"... let me explain the rules... the goal is to make a series of three words using two word phrases... here are some examples...

comic strip tease (the title i will use if i turn this into a comic)
life long division
failing health plan
cosmic awareness march
pocket rocket launcher
silver tongue fetish
civic center mass
personal attack helicopter
big head case

the general goal is to find funny combos, but i am waking up (so i am not all that funny currently)...

Fun!

That reminds me of: zeugmas.

Where one figure of speech refers to 2 other words. Either in different senses, 'John and his license expired last week' OR in the same semantic sense, 'with weeping hearts and eyes'.

This one makes me laugh: "He fell from her favor, and the window" :p

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fun!

That reminds me of: zeugmas.

Where one figure of speech refers to 2 other words. Either in different senses, 'John and his license expired last week' OR in the same semantic sense, 'with weeping hearts and eyes'.

This one makes me laugh: "He fell from her favor, and the window" :p

i like those also... i use them often when writing poetry...

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
9/14

Ones I missed:

Fun test. :) Though I agree with [MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION] that it's really about finding the common word that would form the most commonly-used phrases, so while it is asking you to make connections, it's also asking you to make the most obvious ones. It might test creativity up to a certain level, but I think highly divergent thinkers past that level may not do well on this test because they would think of more obscure links between the words. I also don't think it has much to do with intelligence because it doesn't test conceptual understanding, as the words are linked through a phrase-forming word instead of an aspect of meaning or function.