• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychological Virus

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is a potential major breakthrough in our understanding of schizophrenia. We have tried all kinds of explanations but without any luck, and this is a new one.

The article talks about the effects of regular viruses causing immunological stresses which allow the genetic viruses to become active. Considering the huge campaign relating to vaccines and Autism, I'd be surprised if Autism isn't a genetic virus as well.

If the various "illnesses" of the human condition are end-of-the-line psychological manifestations of genetic viruses, it begs the question: What are the psychological manifestations of the genetic viruses antibodies?

I thought this was going to be about humans try to hack one another's brains with words, formulae, physical acts and other symbols.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I thought this was going to be about humans try to hack one another's brains with words, formulae, physical acts and other symbols.

Well, being under stress is known to reduce one's immune system, so it may be the case that people growing up in highly abusive or stressed environments have genetic viruses activated. Being under specific forms of stress caused by individuals with active genetic viruses may cause the targets to have their own corresponding genetic viruses activated.

Cold

And I'm sad. Again.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
How interesting, bringing in a different perspective to the view on schizophrenia...

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How interesting, bringing in a different perspective to the view on schizophrenia...

You weren't just here so your name could provide as a funny remark to the thread title?

Cold

And I'm sad. Again.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hmm but this article was published in 2010, so what has become of the research now?

Cold

And I'm sad. Again.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You weren't just here so your name could provide as a funny remark to the thread title?

I don't see how my comment was in any way funny.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't see how my comment was in any way funny.

It wasn't your comment, it's username in relation to the title:

Explicitly put: common cold virus talks in a psychological virus thread.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

It's not just that it brings a new perspective on schizophrenia, but that it brings an entire new dimension to the framework of humanity. It may be the case that all mental illnesses and mal-adaptations are not "genetic" or "just because," but rather that there is an actual virus causing these things.

Hmm but this article was published in 2010, so what has become of the research now?

Molecular characteristics of Human Endogenous Retrovirus type-W in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. - PubMed - NCBI

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This seems to be higly related to Meme theory (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

I first encountered it in Neal Stephenson's cyberpunk classic, Snowcrash. The book features a villian trying to reprogram humanity using what is a psychology virus. When I read it back then, I thought it was foolishness, but no longer.

Malcolm Gladwell discusses similar things in his book Tipping Point......

I haven't pondered the topic much, but just pulling random shit from the memory banks....

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This seems to be higly related to Meme theory (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

I first encountered it in Neal Stephenson's cyberpunk classic, Snowcrash. The book features a villian trying to reprogram humanity using what is a psychology virus. When I read it back then, I thought it was foolishness, but no longer.

Malcolm Gladwell discusses similar things in his book Tipping Point......

I haven't pondered the topic much, but just pulling random shit from the memory banks....

I put it all together internally, but leads to places that should probably be forgotten until people naturally get their on their own.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/schizophrenia/causes.html

2013 article on schizo

INFECTIOUS FACTORS
The case for viruses as a cause of schizophrenia rests mainly on circumstantial evidence, such as living in crowded conditions.

The risk is higher for people who are born in cities than in the country. The longer one lives in the city, the higher the risk. The following are some studies suggesting an association:

Winter and Spring Births. The risk for schizophrenia worldwide is 5 - 8% higher for those born during winter and spring, when colds and viruses are more prevalent.

Large Families. The risk for schizophrenia is also greater in large families in which there are short intervals between siblings (2 or fewer years). Such observations suggest that exposure to infection early in infancy may help set the stage for later development of the disease.

Pregnant Mother's Exposure to Viruses. The mother's exposure to viral infections such as rubella, measles, chicken pox, or others while the infant is in the womb has also been associated with a higher risk for schizophrenia in her child.

Researchers are trying to identify specific viruses that may be responsible for some cases. Of particular interest is research finding evidence of a virus that belongs to the HERV-W retrovirus family in 30% of people with acute schizophrenia.

Some research has found an association between some cases of schizophrenia and toxoplasmosis, a parasite carried by cats and other domestic animals. Several studies suggest that patients with schizophrenia have an increased prevalence of antibodies to toxoplasmosis. Toxoplasmosis can lie dormant in the nervous system and migrate to the brain over many years.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I put it all together internally, but leads to places that should probably be forgotten until people naturally get their on their own.

Introverted perception :) love the example. For better, for worse, just a good example of dom Ni.

Kas

Fabula rasa
The viral theory isn't that new. First ideas were in 90s - after pandemic was increased number of children suffering for schizophrenia and season differences (as in article). Then the idea of infections during pregnancies (mainly Toxoplasma gondii) . Though connection was always only in some cases, so they haven't been found significant.
Still interesting.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was over on schres-journal and it seems like they are still searching hi and low for the cause. It intresting to note the association with bi-polar disease. I dont think my son is bi-polar, but it does run in his genes on his moms side. Will have to dig into it a bit more since its been tied heavily to genetics. Whether it be virus combined with certain genes or whatever may be the case.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The viral theory isn't that new. First ideas were in 90s - after pandemic was increased number of children suffering for schizophrenia and season differences (as in article). Then the idea of infections during pregnancies (mainly Toxoplasma gondii) . Though connection was always only in some cases, so they haven't been found significant.
Still interesting.

It's not the "viral" part, but rather that the virus naturally exists within human DNA, making it both a virus and also an inherent potential in all people. It opens up biological struggles of power on a level deeper. First the explicit external illnesses, then internal, then microscopic, and now something that is in the very foundations of humanity.

Cold

And I'm sad. Again.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It wasn't your comment, it's username in relation to the title:

Explicitly put: common cold virus talks in a psychological virus thread.

Right... Never thought of that haha

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Minor Update for Wordage:

Previously, the individual was subject to two primary things: Biological and Environmental Factors.

As time evolved, this basically turned into Genetic and Environmental Factors, as the remainder of the original Biological was determined to be from Environmental Factors.

Now, it has been determined that Environmental Factors can affect our Genetics to a significant degree.