• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Overlapping symptoms

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We live in a day and age where people take online quizzes and often attempt to diagnose themselves without seeing anyone else. Some may use their diagnostics as an excuse even, suggesting these things are to be expected rather than trying to improve upon their flaws. However, a lot of minor symptoms may overlap with major disorders, leading some people to misdiagnose as something more severe and ultimately lead down a wrong path.

Obviously, a therapist will notice these discrepancies, but it is noted that such a belief in something can create an effect of becoming something. How can we deter people from self-diagnostics and becoming something they think they are without really having such symptoms?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah I have asked my therapist like 5 or 6 times if I have bpd, also about autism. She said no way to both of those. But a lot of my symptoms, like impulsivity and mood swings, and flat affect and social withdrawl, overlap with both of those disorders.

To be honest, I dont fully agree on my diagnosis, but IDK. Ive had several people confirm it at this point and its like- no one who I have been honest (or what I believe to be honesf) thinks I am lying or faking or exaggerating but me.

Anyways. Im glad I get to see people who are genuinely so able and knowledgeable at dealing with my condition. I dont feel like I have to like... IDK- “teach” them about it like I have with some therapists (that sounds shitty but its just how I feel when I have therpaists telling me maybe I need an exoricist or that maybe I should name the voices and make friends with them). If I didnt have this, I would suffer more for sure. At least when I talk about my issues with my therapist and psychiatrist they dont really make me feel like a freak for experiencing them.

But yeah. Ive had a handful of diagnoses in the past that were just, based on incomplete info. Like. Depression, yes. Part of my condition involves depression but also- with my condition, the bipolar aspect, antidepressants can make things worse. So getting that diagnosis updated was actually kind of a lifesaver. I was on antidepressants for over a year and just couldnt figure out why I was feeling so much worse and not better, and I mean, if you cant feel good on ANTIDEPRESSANTS then its obviously your fault.

So yeah. Accurate diagnosis is important, and there are so many aspects to it that really, no matter how much you stufy it yourself, it is imo dangerous to hold that much faith in your own opinion on it without getting a decent consultation.

Because shit. If you have bipolar and are given an antidepressant like me, it can sometimes be bad news. Or, also like me, if your paranoia is treated as social anxiety and you arent given an antipsychotic... then yeah. Also bad news.

Anyways. Idk if I really answered any questions here. My mind just sorta starts when I start writing and it goes where it pleases.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah I have asked my therapist like 5 or 6 times if I have bpd, also about autism. She said no way to both of those. But a lot of my symptoms, like impulsivity and mood swings, and flat affect and social withdrawl, overlap with both of those disorders.

To be honest, I dont fully agree on my diagnosis, but IDK. Ive had several people confirm it at this point and its like- no one who I have been honest (or what I believe to be honesf) thinks I am lying or faking or exaggerating but me.

Anyways. Im glad I get to see people who are genuinely so able and knowledgeable at dealing with my condition. I dont feel like I have to like... IDK- “teach” them about it like I have with some therapists (that sounds shitty but its just how I feel when I have therpaists telling me maybe I need an exoricist or that maybe I should name the voices and make friends with them). If I didnt have this, I would suffer more for sure. At least when I talk about my issues with my therapist and psychiatrist they dont really make me feel like a freak for experiencing them.

But yeah. Ive had a handful of diagnoses in the past that were just, based on incomplete info. Like. Depression, yes. Part of my condition involves depression but also- with my condition, the bipolar aspect, antidepressants can make things worse. So getting that diagnosis updated was actually kind of a lifesaver. I was on antidepressants for over a year and just couldnt figure out why I was feeling so much worse and not better, and I mean, if you cant feel good on ANTIDEPRESSANTS then its obviously your fault.

So yeah. Accurate diagnosis is important, and there are so many aspects to it that really, no matter how much you stufy it yourself, it is imo dangerous to hold that much faith in your own opinion on it without getting a decent consultation.

Because shit. If you have bipolar and are given an antidepressant like me, it can sometimes be bad news. Or, also like me, if your paranoia is treated as social anxiety and you arent given an antipsychotic... then yeah. Also bad news.

Anyways. Idk if I really answered any questions here. My mind just sorta starts when I start writing and it goes where it pleases.

Is there a particular reason you feel your symptoms may not be real?

Not to suggest aything, my medical knowledge is limited although I was taking psychology to possibly go into it, nevertheless, a lacking in belief of symptoms or abnormalities is quite common in the schizo-disordered field.

I think what you mention about the antidepressants and etc. is evidence toward how sometimes no treatment is better than WRONG treatment.

and good lord did they seriously suggest exorcism? :doh:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Is there a particular reason you feel your symptoms may not be real?

Not to suggest aything, my medical knowledge is limited although I was taking psychology to possibly go into it, nevertheless, a lacking in belief of symptoms or abnormalities is quite common in the schizo-disordered field.

I think what you mention about the antidepressants and etc. is evidence toward how sometimes no treatment is better than WRONG treatment.

and good lord did they seriously suggest exorcism? :doh:

When they arent happening it feels like I am normal and like, looking back on myself it seems absolutely ridiculous that I could have felt whatever way that I did feel. The longer its been since Ive not felt “normal” the more unreal not feeling normal seems and the more I start to doubt that it ever even happened to begin with.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, Ive recently felt... fucking bizarre and awful and so my ability to emotionally register that... wow... that was really abnormal, is higher. And so my desire to keep myself from not feeling like that, and doing things like planning to take my medication regularly is also higher. But I suspect, looking on how Ive reacted in the past, the longer it is that I feel “ok” even if I still have active symptoms, the longer that I feel emotionally stable, the harder its going to be to convince myself there was anything ACTUALLY wrong in the first place, and the stronger the desire is going to be to stop medication or greatly reduce it.

Ive actually thought about asking for a monthly injection. But for one, I dont think there is one available for my drug- I think for my class of meds they only do abilify and maybe invega. And Id be willing to switch but, those drugs are slightly more expensive than my current drug and would be decidedly more expensive in monthly injection format. Plus, I really dont like the idea of it being out of my control. I dont really trust myself to take them, but I want to work to that. And I just, I want to know that at some point, maybe I will be able to trust myself.

But yeah. No. Even my hallucinations feel almost sorta like- eh whatevrr. Except when they are actually happening. Ive sort of convinced myself that having them is no worse than having nightmares emotionally. And while, I will give myself this, I have come a really long way in coping with them, they still can be eeally distressing sometimes. Usually I can get over them relatively quickly, but sometimes well... they know my weak points and can seem really real and convincing and so it will take a couple of days of telling myself that- its unlikely to be real- for me to be fully 100% able to tell myself that no- ghosts arent going to kill your family so they can torture you in hell. Or whatever the voices try to freak me out with.

Anyways. The fact that I am able to function in general is also kinda suspect to me a lot of the time. I mean, I do struggle at work because it requires a lot of executive function and basically Im working at capacity and sometimes it feels like beyond to just stay afloat there- but like... I generally CAN. But yeah. I have a tested memory impairment that is fairly mild, but is enough below my other test scores to be significant. Its not even really super low or anything, but it deviates far enough that I notice it and it frustrates me and I feel stupid because of it. But apparently memory problems are common with the condition Ive been diagnosed with, as are mild social communication problems, which unfortunately I also have. My affect is pretty flat. Therapist used to say flat but now she says blunted so maybe its better or maybe shes just being kind- but yeah no- its hard to relate to people when you have such issue with just- showing the things that people look for- those connection pieces like smiling and laughing and idk having your face reflect your feelings and thats frustrating as well.

Anyways. I have a lot of symptoms. But at the end of the day, even when Im given a huge giant list Im kinda like welll maaaaaaybe. And ifs probably bad to do that. I mean once my laat psychiatrist literally read every symptom Id ever told her, listed every hallucination that I had reported and every weird paranoid belief that Id had... and that was one of the few times I genuinely, when I wasnt in the cusp of experiencing those things was like, oh. Yeah. All that was real. All that happened. This is real. Otherwise, when Im feeling well... I think I just. I dont know.

I wonder if Im either in deep denial, brain damaged, or right that theres nothing really wrong.

I wonder if my brain is damaged to the point where I have this.

Anosognosia: Definition, Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, and More

Because at this point its starting to not really feel like... like its starting to feel like more of a choice to believe this rather than something I actually emotionally believe. Like its something I feel I MUST remind myself that I MUST believe.

And yes. She suggested exorcism at least twice and kept telling me to watch movies like A Beautiful Mind. And IDK it just felt almlst like she was excited to be working with me, not to reallt help me, but because I was like interesting or something and idk like some sort of exhibit to her. But that might just be me projecting frustration or something idk