• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New DC Universe plans

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Well, there it is.

Biggest surprise is them doing an Authority storyline (holy sh*t!), although considering James Gunn's past work, I guess not?

I am suspecting they are going to use Flash ("Flashpoint") to logically reset the DC universe.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've always liked Superman and hope they can make one that knocks it out of the park. I haven't seen the Snyder one but apparently I didn't miss much

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always liked Superman and hope they can make one that knocks it out of the park. I haven't seen the Snyder one but apparently I didn't miss much
It depends on one's sensibilities. I like Snyder overall but there were some flaws as well... plus Superman was so darn powerful, he was essentially a demigod in that film series. I did like Michael Shannon's Zod portrayal a lot. I've got admiration and hate for BvS, it's a frustrating film since I can see what they were going for but didn't execute it well through some of the film.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It depends on one's sensibilities. I like Snyder overall but there were some flaws as well... plus Superman was so darn powerful, he was essentially a demigod in that film series. I did like Michael Shannon's Zod portrayal a lot. I've got admiration and hate for BvS, it's a frustrating film since I can see what they were going for but didn't execute it well through some of the film.

I suppose I'll add it to my watch list. Hopefully it hasn't been taken off of HBOMax yet.

I haven't seen all of BvS but I see no way I can get past the Martha scene. It's so dumb on so many levels. Like why would he start referring to his Mom as Martha? It seemed so forced.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suppose I'll add it to my watch list. Hopefully it hasn't been taken off of HBOMax yet.

I haven't seen all of BvS but I see no way I can get past the Martha scene. It's so dumb on so many levels. Like why would he start referring to his Mom as Martha? It seemed so forced.
Yeah, it either works for you or doesn't -- I assume you mean Superman calling his own mom Martha. Yeah, it's forced. I can see why it shakes Bruce back to his senses, but the revelation is pretty forced.

So I like Man of Steel (a lot of the Krypton stuff, which I'm indifferent to a bit, is right out of John Byrne's version of that world) -- but generally it's kind of cool. And while I look for character depth, sure, I felt like it was the first time I felt like I saw a real "super fight" on screen. I mean, Snyder's generally good with action sequences. And I like ZSJL (the recut).

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
How I imagine James Gunns interview went: "The studio has plans. The producers have plans. Marvel's got plans. Y'know they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. So when I say that you and your Snyder cut was nothing personal, you know I'm telling the truth. It's the schemers that put you where you are. You were a schemer, you had plans, and, uh, look where that got you."

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How I imagine James Gunns interview went: "The studio has plans. The producers have plans. Marvel's got plans. Y'know they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. So when I say that you and your Snyder cut was nothing personal, you know I'm telling the truth. It's the schemers that put you where you are. You were a schemer, you had plans, and, uh, look where that got you."

Poor Dwayne Johnson seems to have taken it pretty hard. But I can't say I was interested in a more "dark and gritty" take on the superhero genre when we've been getting that for a decade. I don't know why the trailers were acting like it was something fresh. A superhero that kills people, wuh????

Burton's Batman killed people in 1989!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wonder which was handled worse, the DC universe or the Star Wars sequel trilogy?

Probably the Star Wars sequel trilogy because the universe had already existed and they only had three movies to worry about.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder which was handled worse, the DC universe or the Star Wars sequel trilogy?

Probably the Star Wars sequel trilogy because the universe had already existed and they only had three movies to worry about.
yeahhhhh... I mean, that's actually a great question. But yeah, it should have been a slam dunk, and the first movie (despite its failings) did its job in setting the sequels up to go to better places and STILL....

DC has just been all over the place. No cohesion. I feel like they just said, "Hey it's [Batman][Superman][Other DC stuff], how can it fail?" and just threw shit at the wall.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

First Flash trailer. I guess we're seeing the reboot/reset in effect... or part of it.

yay for Supergirl?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

First Flash trailer. I guess we're seeing the reboot/reset in effect... or part of it.

yay for Supergirl?
I just read about Ezra Miller's ... issues... and I don't know what to make of them.

I will say this: I'm surprised this movie wasn't shelved and instead of Batgirl.

I may end up seeing it just because of Keaton but this Miller stuff is pretty wild and hard to overlook. The Iron Eyes stuff is jaw-dropping; I hadn't heard about that previously.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just read about Ezra Miller's ... issues... and I don't know what to make of them.

I will say this: I'm surprised this movie wasn't shelved and instead of Batgirl.

I may end up seeing it just because of Keaton but this Miller stuff is pretty wild and hard to overlook. The Iron Eyes stuff is jaw-dropping; I hadn't heard about that previously.
Yeah, tbh I was kinda surprised he didn't get booted for the stuff that truly was documented -- he was completely spiraling out of control (he sounded like a junkie with a personality disorder based on stuff he was doing) and has always had issues of some kind. There's probably stuff we don't know about all of those decisions and his issues, and it's hard to tell what is going on.

I read about the Iron Eyes thing this morning after your comments. I have no idea. She is denying or reframing the whole thing but again I can't read the veracity because if she was a victim or tainted by his influence, then how trustworthy are her denials? No idea.

Still, I also have a whole bad taste in my mouth about all the other DC drama that revolved around Depp and Heard, where whatever Heard's issues are, the entire Depp fan base went on an obvious character slander rampage and made me really wonder what version of truth we are getting from social media. I'm kinda like fuck and fire them all sometimes, at this point. There's enough acting professionals who aren't in blatant trouble all the time in the public eye. Did MCU have any actors with public problems in the news? I don't recall any right now. I would have liked to say as a demographic they are a bit older, but I don't know how true that is; Heard is 36 and MIller is 30 now, but maybe all your main MCU folks were in their late 30's or 40's +, and I'm not sure how significant that difference is, esp since old people can be shits too.

Ezra basically has had talent from a younger age, but he kind of always felt like a black sheep / indie actor who got thrust into big budget films in the last 5-6 years and thus all of the shit he never dealt with coupled with the extra prestige and money went to his head and also exposed him more publicly.

The movie itself looks intriguing on its own, I'm not sure whether it will end up good or meh, although Gunn seems to have liked the screening.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Fan bases are the worst.

Ironically, I am a fan of both. You don't need to hate one and love the other.

Aside from acting out in his early career on X, Gunn (and Snyder) both seemed to be adored by their cast. So maybe they are both decent people, whatever their flaws?

The Cat

Staff member

Fan bases are the worst.

Ironically, I am a fan of both. You don't need to hate one and love the other.

Aside from acting out in his early career on X, Gunn (and Snyder) both seemed to be adored by their cast. So maybe they are both decent people, whatever their flaws?
I also think people now adays are too hung up on the idea that "people arent supposed to have flaws", when in fact everyone does.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Plus coordinating this shit + doing PR is really difficult. That is partly my job day to day and it's exhausting to manage this kind of thing.

The Cat

Staff member
Plus coordinating this shit + doing PR is really difficult. That is partly my job day to day and it's exhausting to manage this kind of thing.
It's not easy having yourself a good time, greasing up those bets and betters, watching out they don't four letter.

It's like having to dance down the side of a mountain and up again. It looks cool when you pull it off and you're proud of yourself when its over, but its a damned long trecherous way down the mountain and its exhausting.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think the only Zack Snyder movie I've seen is the 3rd act of Batman Vs. Superman, which included the most infamous part.

I'm thinking I need to form more of my own opinion and give Man of Steel a chance. Cavill looks the part, I can say that much.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the only Zack Snyder movie I've seen is the 3rd act of Batman Vs. Superman, which included the most infamous part.

I'm thinking I need to form more of my own opinion and give Man of Steel a chance. Cavill looks the part, I can say that much.
He's definitely someone who makes a particular kind of film.
They are all usually flawed in some way, but often because of his strengths.
He does have a clear vision for his own work.