• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My mbti and my tritype are too dissimilar, something ain't right

anNE_cognito

MBTI Type
NeNe
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have finally decided, after LOTS of research and reading and analyzing, that my tritype is 359. Had been pretty sure that I'm ENFP, but now I don't even know because I've never heard of or read anything about an ENFP 359. INTP 359, sure, but I'm most definitely not an INTP (my Fi is too high). I've obviously mistyped myself somehow, and it's driving me absolutely crazy because I've spent hundreds of hours on this and am now more confused than ever. I've considered 379, 479, and 459 as tritypes but 359 seems to describe me best. Am pretty sure I'm Ne dom, but ENFP seems to describe me better than ENTP (since I prefer Te over Ti and Fi over Fe). Not sure where to go from here, any suggestions?!

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Have finally decided, after LOTS of research and reading and analyzing, that my tritype is 359. Had been pretty sure that I'm ENFP, but now I don't even know because I've never heard of or read anything about an ENFP 359. INTP 359, sure, but I'm most definitely not an INTP (my Fi is too high). I've obviously mistyped myself somehow, and it's driving me absolutely crazy because I've spent hundreds of hours on this and am now more confused than ever. I've considered 379, 479, and 459 as tritypes but 359 seems to describe me best. Am pretty sure I'm Ne dom, but ENFP seems to describe me better than ENTP (since I prefer Te over Ti and Fi over Fe). Not sure where to go from here, any suggestions?!

Hmm... That is my specialty!
Not really, just kidding but I had created a tri-type to MBTI calculator, I am the "crazy" guy who keeps interchanging different typologies systems all the time while discovering their weakness of their dogmas and pissing dogmatic people too attached to these systems off; And I agree, 359 is not really much ENFP except on the 9 part that is a little bit ENFP. 359 does not really points to any very clear MBTI, IXTP and IXTJ are the ones which I would consider the closest. (3 is the core and it is on sequence, right?). Here is the link to the calculator:
https://www.quotev.com/quiz/12991371/Enneagram-tri-type-to-MBTI

Do you do enneagram tests and came up with 3-5-9 and then come up with MBTI and get ENFP in the same day? In the case of the dichotomy tests, the ones with the letters, which are closest to the middle?

anNE_cognito

MBTI Type
NeNe
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've taken enneagram tests, yes, and I usually get 9 or 3 or 5 (sometimes 7). But I've read a lot on the enneagram types, and I've basically self-typed myself as a 359. I've spent the past six months trying to type myself, and it's been intense. I usually work on studying the enneagram for a few weeks and then switch to mbti for a few weeks--I don't do both enneagram and mbti the same day. When I take the mbti, I almost always get enfp but I've studied the cognitive functions and feel like I'm definitely Ne Fi Te Si (in some order). I'd say I'm probably more introverted than extroverted, more intuitive than sensing, more feeling than thinking. For a long while I thought I was infj, but I definitely am not a Ni dom.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I've taken enneagram tests, yes, and I usually get 9 or 3 or 5 (sometimes 7). But I've read a lot on the enneagram types, and I've basically self-typed myself as a 359. I've spent the past six months trying to type myself, and it's been intense. I usually work on studying the enneagram for a few weeks and then switch to mbti for a few weeks--I don't do both enneagram and mbti the same day. When I take the mbti, I almost always get enfp but I've studied the cognitive functions and feel like I'm definitely Ne Fi Te Si (in some order). I'd say I'm probably more introverted than extroverted, more intuitive than sensing, more feeling than thinking. For a long while I thought I was infj, but I definitely am not a Ni dom.

But on which order you get these 3 enneagrams, I mean, which comes first and later etc..? Which is usually the core?

anNE_cognito

MBTI Type
NeNe
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The core is usually 3, with 9 next and 5 last. So I guess I’m actually 395 rather than 359.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
The core is usually 3, with 9 next and 5 last. So I guess I’m actually 395 rather than 359.

I put it on the converter and all and that combo, 3-9-5-7 is a MBTI killer, it basically doesn't lead straight to any type at all yet it is not undifferentiated, it is just more likely to be a thinker than a feeler, that's all. It could be bad self-reporting you or it could be that you are a kind of person that the MBTI not only doesn't fit well but fit very badly.

You could do a Big 5 test, and I could transform-adapt that to MBTI (made a calculator that does that too) and check if there is any inconsistency, here is the source I recommend for a free one (save the results!). And on that website you can register for free and do for free a behaviour test, here it is the thread:
Big 5 Personality Test: Self-Description vs. Behavior.

Although the behavior test is far from being perfect, it is the thing that can point out if you are doing a bad self-description & self-report or if it is just the MBTI system that fits you terribly. You could also answer other questionnaires (although through this point it would be better a new thread) and ask others to type you based on your answers, so you can see if there is really a discrepancy between your self-report.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

All enneagram and MBTI combinations are possible and direct anyone who disagrees with me to the fisticuffs chamber. Thank you.

(Also I would argue that e3 ENFPs are more common than you think.)

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
With billions of humans in the world ALL combination need to be possible. To deny such would be an absolute that just doesn't even make sense to me. Human nature is complex above 16 personalities, and above the 'expected' correlations as if it's some "unspoken rule" that they have to be a specific combination. That's where stereotypes are taken as an umbrella reality, which is far from the case. So I don't see why your combination isn't possible. By law of human nature, it is. Anything is. Even if it's pretty damn rare. The three tritypes I pondered on were 469, 479, and 359 myself. Some of which is an odd combination for my mbti

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram

What I was saying on the first post slowly starting to happen with people "sub-tweeting" me and all and for personal reasons I am not really under much patience for this, so I shall just rest my case here with final "advises".

You are right for being worried about MBTI and tri-type being dissimilar. Linking systems can help you a lot, and the reasons you must spot incompatibility is to know if you are not answering the tests as two different persons or having two different images of yourself, which is inaccurate. My last example was on reddit where I explained why ISTJ can't have a high-very high Openness to Experience, because the person would be imaginative and unimaginative at the same time (I had mentioned also 2-3 more contradictory traits, which I don't remember).

But I already got deep on that subject and I must reinforce: 3-9-5-[7] can fit basically any MBTI. Core 3 does take IXFP out unless you are quite unsure of it and think you might be 9 as well. This is also a case (and I bet 30-50% of people are like that) that none of the core MBTIs will really actually describe you well - you should properly see yourself as a mix of some MBTI, at least two of them.

You can still use the Big 5 to assist you on the journey, which I do recommend a lot (it works quite well as a supplementary and you can think the other systems in Big 5 terms if you want), and in that case it would be good to draw which are the normal signs of each type (remember, you are not 'normal' inside each type, so you may deviate a little). Oh, also note that on COVID days, specially if you are on quarantine, Extraversion and Openness drops (this is a known pattern for flu):
E=Extraversion
A=Agreeableness
O=Openness to Experience
C=Conscientiousness
S=Emotional Stability
(this is also called OCEAN, I just put it on a different order)

ENXP: High E, High O, Low C. High O is the most critical, some can be high C or have 20-40% range on E, specially if you are going by the functions

Core 3: High E, High C, Low A. All are sort of equally important aspects of 3.
Core 9: Low E, High A, Low O, Low C, High S. High S is the most important aspect, Low E and low O are the least relevant, and Ns 9s exist significantly and generally are not low O. Also, 9 is supposed to be more close to an ambivert rather than Introvert.

This is it, hopes it helps, have a nice journey!

EDIT: I also forgot a few things...
When picking up an enneagram and MBTI specific combo, try to match your close borderlines. So, for example, ENFP 5 has both E and F pulled down due to ennea 5, and it is closer to a pure Ne-dom with slightly e (almost hybridizing Ne and Ni types). ENFP 3 has a predicted F/T borderline, while ENTP 9 doesn't have much prediction but it is slightly pulled towards ISFP, expected to be ambivert (because MBTI & Jung typology misses some important aspects of 9).
Another thing, when your ennea and MBTI combo are not super common, looking for fictional characters with the same combo and using which characters you relate the most helps (it did to me). You can google the characters and look at their descriptions on the fandom, most of them (if anime, almost all of them) have a 'personality' tab on their description and a group of characters description may describe you better than any MBTI/ Enneagram core/tri-type in isolation.
I also forgot to put the link to my own converter from Big Five to MBTI. If you use it, you should notice the first 3-5 results and I would recommend to rule the last 6-10 ones out, don't be too attached to only the first one:
https://www.quotev.com/quiz/12999568/BIG-FIVE-to-MBTI-converter-quiz

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
359 isn't that ridiculous for an ENFP (especially with 3 in leading position), but it might be worth considering how you're going about typing yourself. Have you been typing individually (ie. You figured out you have a 3 core, researched the head types and figured out 5 worked best, etc) or by tritype descriptions? Have you focused on the mechanisms of types or primarily descriptions? If you think you've done your research and you've really gone into depth with this, there are significantly more ridiculous combinations.

It may be worth describing yourself a bit or writing out some reasoning for why you ended up on that tritype/what other tritypes you've considered and why if you want more tailored feedback