• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Music Ahead of Its Time

What are some songs you can think of that sound ahead of their time, as if they had time traveled back from a future era? Feel free to post them here.

Here's what I've compiled so far...

Here Come the Warm Jets (1974) – Brian Eno

I'm sure there are more songs to choose from because Eno's an innovator of his time, but this song in particular sounds eerily similar to the UK shoegaze era from the late 80s/early 90s. It contains those trademark abstract, fuzzy guitar distortions and obscure, indiscernible vocalizations toward the end of the song. However it's from early 1974, about a decade and a half before shoegaze even existed. I would have never guessed it was from that period if I hadn't known before.

Cupid Come (1988) – My Bloody Valentine

Speaking of shoegaze, this song is from 1988, but sounds like it could be an alternative rock song during the early to mid-1990s. It doesn't seem reminiscent of the late 1980s, imo.

I'm So Green (1972) – Can

This is from 1972. I would have imagined a date set possibly within a few decades later. I can hear a late 1980s Madchester à la Stone Roses sound in this. In fact, it also has an early 90s indie rock feel to it as well.

30 Seconds Over Tokyo (1975) – Pere Ubu

Post-punk pioneers. An early 1980s post-punk sound, but from 1975. It's probably because of the staggering guitar riff in the background and the gloomy, offbeat lyrics.

Autobahn (1974) – Kraftwerk

I would have to say this song and the whole album in general along with their other 1970s albums are a prelude to the 1980s electronic sound, complete with synthesizers and all. However, this is from 1974...1974. Incredible, really.

I'm not sure if they're ahead of their time or after their time, but Mazzy Star really amazes me. They sound kind of like Led Zeppelin at times and The Velvet Underground at others and then as the most uniquely talented band out of any time. Hope Sandoval's voice is one of the most beautiful sounds my ears have ever had the pleasure of hearing. California is a track that displays Hope's voice and David Roback's fantastic guitar work in a prime example of their talent.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CRk8ZUMQhCY

Pixies. The Pixies were ahead of their time and perhaps because they were so influential groups that came after undoubtedly had a Pixies-ish flavor. Throughout the 90's the Pixies left their mark on Nirvana, Radiohead, Weezer, the list just continues. So maybe Frank Black (Black Francis), Kim Deal (and Pixies without Deal is like pizza without cheese), and Joey Santiago fit with the 90's because they in part created the sound. Anyway a sampling of early Pixies from their first two albums: Surfer Rosa (1988) and Doolittle (1989).

Cactus - Pixies - YouTube

Wave of Mutilation - The Pixies - YouTube

Pixies. The Pixies were ahead of their time and perhaps because they were so influential groups that came after undoubtedly had a Pixies-ish flavor. Throughout the 90's the Pixies left their mark on Nirvana, Radiohead, Weezer, the list just continues. So maybe Frank Black (Black Francis), Kim Deal (and Pixies without Deal is like pizza without cheese), and Joey Santiago fit with the 90's because they in part created the sound. Anyway a sampling of early Pixies from their first two albums: Surfer Rosa (1988) and Doolittle (1989).

Cactus - Pixies - YouTube

Wave of Mutilation - The Pixies - YouTube

Yes, Pixies! I was actually thinking about including them! They along with bands such as Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., and Mudhoney were all big inspirations for the grunge scene in the early 90s with that loud, murky guitar sound and raw vocals. I would definitely think both of those albums were from the 90s instead of the late 80s. I'll probably include a few more from that period soon.

I can also see why you chose Mazzy Star too. I think it's possible their songs could be produced in the 21st century, like from a modern day dreampop band maybe. I also am reminded of Norah Jones for some reason. It's probably because of the soft, breathy vocals and mellow, slow-paced guitar work, but other than that they're both pretty different I'd say.

I'll add a few more I had in mind.

Pink Moon (1972) – Nick Drake

Upon first hearing, I remember thinking this song could have been made by an indie folk band from the 1990s or 2000s like Elliott Smith or Iron & Wine. It has that modern folk rock sound and imo not necessarily the sort from the early 70s era during that time.

Little Fury Things (1987) – Dinosaur Jr.

This band was a huge influence on many grunge bands from the early 1990s. This song in particular has that dirty, noisy grunge sound complete with the sluggish, lazy vocals of J. Mascis. Probably could be considered proto-shoegaze as well. Overall, to me it sounds much more early 90s than mid/late 80s. Even the music video is totally 90s.

Hallogallo (1972) – Neu!

This song and album in general sound quite modern for it's time by at least ten years and even up to this current day. I get post-punk and Stereolab vibes from this and it also has the rhythm and sound of many 21st century indie rock bands. I can also see where David Bowie got his idea when he made his Heroes album from 1977.

The Laughing Song (1898) – George W. Johnson

This song is from 1898, but could have easily been mistaken as a song probably 10 years later even. I mean, they had sound recording back then? And the chorus includes the singer laughing. I don't know, it seems pretty punk rock for the late 1800s. Kinda reminds me of Flipper's Ha Ha Ha song from 1984. Who would'a thunk?

Gary Numan! How could I forget Gary? This guys futuristic synth sound which started with Tubeway Army became more futuristic when he went solo and explored the ideas of robotics and synthetic human beings. Pretty sure he is a fan of the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade Runner probably wouldn't have been made without it). He was exploring concepts of a Cyberpunk (technology as both beautiful and terrifying) future back in the 70's and 80's! Cars was his one hit in the 80's but he has so many great songs. Here's Down in the Park.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xHLOutbpZjw

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sounds a lot like something Kelela or Tinashe would create themselves today:

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Pink Floyd - I mean come on. Definitely ahead of it's time.

What I Am (1988) – Edie Brickell & New Bohemians

I always thought this song was from the 90s growing up. They even look pretty 90s alternative/hippie revival.

Blister in the Sun (1983) – Violent Femmes

Another 90s song from the 80s.

Fast Car (1988) – Tracy Chapman

And another.