• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mountain Hiking - Who Else?

Kas

Fabula rasa
Any other mountain hiking lovers? When were you first time in mountains? What do you like the most about traveling there?

I was first time in mountains as a little kid in a child carrier. Not high ones though:)

I love the feeling of freedom, especially backpacking and changing place every day ( so spontaneous), meeting other people on the road, the nature around me. And I like being so physically tired that I fall asleep in every conditions without a single thought. It's a great way to relax.

Anomoly

MBTI Type
ENFP
When I was a littler piglet , about this big I needed reins to stop me from escaping. Given half the chance i would have crawled up one. my family liked spending time in nature, so scotland was our favoured place of vacations. Eerie mist filled the air and took the tops off all the mountains and it was magical. sadly i have never been up one so big.

given half the chance i would, and insinuate myself in with a family of goats, some flower power and the local hillbillies and probably never be seen again

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I'd enjoy it (in theory). I might hate it. Our US east coast mountains are hills compared to the Rockies, but still very beautiful in some regions.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love hiking. I love exploring the beauties of the world, far from the rush and bustle of the modern world.

I especially love backpacking, as [MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION] said. My wife enjoys the outdoors, but once I got her backpacking, it was magical. We went out monthly, at least. We saw some amazing sights and had great experiences. I had a great time planning our adventures. There were a time or two where things went wrong, but.... sleeping next to a giant arch, under a natural dome 300 feet high and 300 feet deep is incredible. Sleeping in the Zion Narrows was about as unique.

I have felt closer to God on mountain tops and in isolated canyons than almost any manmade religious structure.

Unfortunately, then we had children and haven't gone backpacking again.:(

Kas

Fabula rasa
I think I'd enjoy it (in theory). I might hate it. Our US east coast mountains are hills compared to the Rockies, but still very beautiful in some regions.

Maybe you just need to give it a chance. My friend ( rather a city person) went with me to a trip like that and now she keep asking when we are going somewhere :)

There is a great diversity of landscapes in US, it must be an adventure to travel there.
Alaska is a place I dreamt of. Maybe one day...

[MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION] I just googled Zion Narrows and wow (!) What amazing colours.
How old are kids? Maybe lower mountains are an option? Not the same but still something.

There is that great feeling when you are on the top on the mountain as you say. People take it variously, I always felt closer to the nature out there and my mind is clear .

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION] I just googled Zion Narrows and wow (!) What amazing colours.
How old are kids? Maybe lower mountains are an option? Not the same but still something.

We have done day hikes with the children and we have plans for backpacking when they get older.

Where we live now, there are no mountains for hundreds of miles, just very sad. Hopefully, we hope to someplace nearer mountains again.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Where we live now, there are no mountains for hundreds of miles, just very sad. Hopefully, we hope to someplace nearer mountains again.

Yeah, that's sad. I envy people who live close to mountains. Ironically I live close to see, but far away from mountains

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe you just need to give it a chance. My friend ( rather a city person) went with me to a trip like that and now she keep asking when we are going somewhere :)

There is a great diversity of landscapes in US, it must be an adventure to travel there.
Alaska is a place I dreamt of. Maybe one day...

There is that great feeling when you are on the top on the mountain as you say. People take it variously, I always felt closer to the nature out there and my mind is clear .

It would be a good way to get in shape; better than the gym.

Sunny Ghost

Day hikes are my favorite form of exercise. I'm also a fan of trail running.

It's a great way to be alone with my thoughts. Meditative.

I'm on the East Coast as well, so I'm more accustomed to the Appalachian mountains. But I spent a great amount of my free time hitting trails near myself.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Foto from National Geographic of the most beautiful mountain trail I know.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Hiking and backpacking in the mountains is my favorite way to spend a weekend or vacation. I enjoy being in nature, and I also enjoy the simplistic beauty and challenge of living in nature with minimal gear. I especially enjoy it in winter--it's like a different world with the cold and snow!

("Backpacking" in the US means hiking in the mountains or other natural area rather than a road, and staying in a tent, tarp, hammock or other primitive shelter.)

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I want to try backpacking, but Im a city folk. So I need someone who doesnt mind training a newborn rookie with really bad stamina how to properly go up a mountain.

Also never been hardcore camping.

When I find a person like that,Im going to snatch them and have them teach me thier ways.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I want to try backpacking, but Im a city folk. So I need someone who doesnt mind training a newborn rookie with really bad stamina how to properly go up a mountain.

When I find a person like that,Im going to snatch them and have them teach me thier ways.

:burns:

Kas

Fabula rasa
Hiking and backpacking in the mountains is my favorite way to spend a weekend or vacation. I enjoy being in nature, and I also enjoy the simplistic beauty and challenge of living in nature with minimal gear. I especially enjoy it in winter--it's like a different world with the cold and snow!

("Backpacking" in the US means hiking in the mountains or other natural area rather than a road, and staying in a tent, tarp, hammock or other primitive shelter.)

I just meant meeting people during travelling. Usually I stay in tent or mountain huts.

You are more hardcore than me then :D I like winter mountains, snow makes everything look magical, but hiking is much harder in winter so I rarely go then. Usually I travel during summer/autumn. I like autumn colours and to lie in the grass in the middle of nowhere.

Kas

Fabula rasa

That's a good thinking.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I love mountain hiking. :) I get up into the mountains at least a few times a month, and in summer/autumn, I try to get up every week, and if I'm able, like taking a few multi-day summer trips each year. I live about half an hour from the foothills, but will drive anywhere from 1.5-7 hrs (7 hrs = a multi day trip) to get to really good trails, or to new places.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Yes, I love mountain hiking. :) I get up into the mountains at least a few times a month, and in summer/autumn, I try to get up every week, and if I'm able, like taking a few multi-day summer trips each year. I live about half an hour from the foothills, but will drive anywhere from 1.5-7 hrs (7 hrs = a multi day trip) to get to really good trails, or to new places.

Now I envy you. For me it's hours in car or train.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To actually answer the OP (sorry!), I first visited the mountains while driving through them as a pre-teen on a family vacation to Yellowstone, and loved the scenery / how epic and vast everything was in comparison to the cornfields of the midwest where I grew up. Then we took two family vacations to Rocky Mountain Natl Park when I was in high school and I loved it.

I moved here 6 years ago because I wanted to be living here. I have always been into nature/outdoors, so I love being able to hike 10+ miles into the wilderness. I also am really into photography so that is another big drive for me -- to capture these places and details I visit and experience.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now I envy you. For me it's hours in car or train.

Ah. Well, I do love where I live. :) But still, I usually drive hours as well. But I understand what you mean.