• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

mass shooting in Germany (Likely far right)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am aware that this was their intention but don't think they got that result.

I clearly stated that we have stricter regulations and guns are less ingrained in culture without banning them completely AND that (as a corollary?) we have better crime statistics as well as more trust in the police and a less violent police force, etc. All of that in a conservative country, so these aren't leftwing measures and it's no leftwing culture.

The ridiculous strawman claim that no sane person ever really made in the first place is disproven but how on earth do my facts make MAGA look good?

You know that joke about heart attack and the Mediterranean diet and the French proving how it's not eating healthy that saves you but speaking English that kills you? I think the USA would profit from stricter gun control but in my eyes the real problem is cultural. All this violence and mistrust of your own fellow citizens and your own police force, this misguided believe in John Wayne or Rambo style selfprotection as a one man army, the talk about stand your ground .. it's the dark side and the logical consequence of rugged individualism and American values. At least that's my outsider perspective.

I will add +1 on this. I am from similar county that is also center right leaning and where guns are very regulated, but aren't completely banned in all combinations. Although in economy we are to the left of you and if I am not mistaken we have even less public safety problems. Even if due to the guns left from the last war we are possibly better armed then the Americans once you scratch the surface. However no guns in public and welfare state have locked that away into the basements, warehouses, "fake graves" etc.

Therefore the only real problem are suicides of the veterans, which by good margin are the consequences of cutting proper aid to veterans or ex-warzones. Which is exactly why veterans claim that neoliberals, globalists and capitalists have kidnapped their party and they are starting their own block. Therefore to be honest what in USA passes as conservatism doesn't really strike me as something truly conservative. To me this looks more like a bunch or liberals and opportunists fighting over the gains or loot. For me conservatism requires strong institutions but USA wants to avoid that. Since that spoils "the game".

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Back to the topic at hand: rightwing terrorism in Germany.
I just read that an explosive device was discovered at the entry of a former concentration camp (now a memorial site) in Thuringia. First the police thought it was some remains from the war, but now they say it is new and actually could have caused a lot of danger. So now they are investigating. An attempted neonazi terror attack seems an obvious possible explanation.

I am aware that this was their intention but don't think they got that result.

I clearly stated that we have stricter regulations and guns are less ingrained in culture without banning them completely AND that (as a corollary?) we have better crime statistics as well as more trust in the police and a less violent police force, etc. All of that in a conservative country, so these aren't leftwing measures and it's no leftwing culture.

The ridiculous strawman claim that no sane person ever really made in the first place is disproven but how on earth do my facts make MAGA look good?

There’s less gang activity and more public trust in the cities, I’d imagine in Germany. That’s the point many make here: that the bulk of gun crimes are committed in (metropolitan) areas of higher gun regulation and gang activity. Sounds to me like it’s gang activity which seems to be the common factor. Japan is culturally like Germany but more homogeneous. All (confidently: 98%) of the gun crime is done by yakuza— gangs. Similar to Mexico. They only have one gun shop in the entire nation, yet it is rife with cartel (gang) related killings, bladed weapons and/or guns. This is the argument being made by the pro-gun side: urban gang crime is the culprit for the majority of gun crimes. Germany has less gangs, so it’s got less gun crimes. It’s pretty easy logic to follow. Japan is similarly if not, more regulated as Germany yet the yakuza are still able to acquire guns, and commit crimes with them albeit at a much lesser rate than American or Mexican gangs. Still, all of Japanese gun crimes are concentrated in the cities and in the hands of the yakuza. And Japan is arguably the furthest thing from American culture, and yet those who do crime are able to obtain firearms in one of the heaviest gun regulated nations in the world.

You know that joke about heart attack and the Mediterranean diet and the French proving how it's not eating healthy that saves you but speaking English that kills you? I think the USA would profit from stricter gun control but in my eyes the real problem is cultural. All this violence and mistrust of your own fellow citizens and your own police force, this misguided believe in John Wayne or Rambo style selfprotection as a one man army, the talk about stand your ground .. it's the dark side and the logical consequence of rugged individualism and American values. At least that's my outsider perspective.

No argument there. America isn’t traditionally conservative. What they mean by “conservative” is in relation to Liberalism proper. Americans have no idea what traditional conservatism is. The only thing they try to conserve are Liberal values, of which “individualism” is a virtue.

Last edited: