• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Let them eat cake". (B/M)illionare CEOs reactions to inflation

ygolo

My termites win
We have the means of eradicating poverty in the US. It's about political will, starting at the most local of levels: Volunteer at local charities, take public transportation more often, attend you local zoning board and other local meetings, be anti-segrationist and find ways to be with people from all classes, think about a future where we can drop to the bottom and still be okay instead of always being afraid of getting lumped in with the poor.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
We have the means of eradicating poverty in the US. It's about political will, starting at the most local of levels: Volunteer at local charities, take public transportation more often, attend you local zoning board and other local meetings, be anti-segrationist and find ways to be with people from all classes, think about a future where we can drop to the bottom and still be okay instead of always being afraid of getting lumped in with the poor.

I sit on a township level commission, there is never a soul there in the audience or for public comment. Same for most of the rest and there are occasionally a few at the regular board meetings but that's it. This is how the authoritarian and fascist right wing, who understand local govt. impacts people the most, will take over. No one else shows up to stop them.

ygolo

My termites win
I sit on a township level commission, there is never a soul there in the audience or for public comment. Same for most of the rest and there are occasionally a few at the regular board meetings but that's it. This is how the authoritarian and fascist right wing, who understand local govt. impacts people the most, will take over. No one else shows up to stop them.

I know its hard also for people struggling to do that. With my stroke symptoms, any plan to leave the house for an extended period has to be planned with back-up plans if transportation doesn't work like I expect. But I also have the intuition, that those who care outnumber does who don't, so maybe with enough people doing what they can there can be some political will built over time.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

This is exactly why I said that the key is in local seats. Since this is where actual implementations are discussed.
Real politics is far from the spectacle that the media are making it to be.

Plus democracy by definition demands participation. So if there is no participation you basically have unchecked government (and that has to lead to problems somewhere down the road). However in my case no one really told me how much there is to my local government, so I had to learn all of this by myself. Not to mention that I discovered the topic basically by coincidence. What means that average Joe doesn't know shit about the topic and that means that the public first has to educated on the subject.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
"I know your race. It is made up of sheep. It is governed by minorities, seldom or never by majorities. It suppresses its feelings and its beliefs and follows the handful that makes the most noise. Sometimes the noisy handful is right, sometimes wrong; but no matter, the crowd follows it. The vast majority of the race, whether savage or civilized, are secretly kind-hearted and shrink from inflicting pain, but in the presence of the aggressive and pitiless minority they don't dare to assert themselves. Think of it! One kind-hearted creature spies upon another, and sees to it that he loyally helps in iniquities which revolt both of them. Speaking as an expert, I know that ninety- nine out of a hundred of your race were strongly against the killing of witches when that foolishness was first agitated by a handful of pious lunatics in the long ago. And I know that even to-day, after ages of transmitted prejudice and silly teaching, only one person in twenty puts any real heart into the harrying of a witch. And yet apparently everybody hates witches and wants them killed. Some day a handful will rise up on the other side and make the most noise--perhaps even a single daring man with a big voice and a determined front will do it--and in a week all the sheep will wheel and follow him, and witch-hunting will come to a sudden end.

Monarchies, aristocracies, and religions are all based upon that large defect in your race--the individual's distrust of his neighbor, and his desire, for safety's or comfort's sake, to stand well in his neighbor's eye. These institutions will always remain, and always flourish, and always oppress you, affront you, and degrade you, because you will always be and remain slaves of minorities. There was never a country where the majority of the people were in their secret hearts loyal to any of these institutions."

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
5BD08C3B-A364-41F0-A10A-EF2FBB19F84F.jpeg

ygolo

My termites win
Unanimous decision in favor of employers accommodating employees on the their religious views:

There are occasional bright spots in our otherwise contentious societal public sphere.

I wonder what this will mean for accommodating disabilities?

ygolo

My termites win
Robert Reich's last lecture.

He emphasized the importance of overcoming denial, escapism, scapegoating, and cynicism as well as the importance of self-knowledge.

ygolo

My termites win
Part of my omnivorous consumption. I listen to all political persuasions, if I can

Follow the money.

The Cat

Staff member
Part of my omnivorous consumption. I listen to all political persuasions, if I can

Follow the money.
Its amazing how much you can find out when you do that simple thing. Following the money often gives me anxiety on its journey.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Follow the money.
This is one of the best left channels (imo) on You Tube. But it really does come down to the fact that much of the lib or centrist or even left leaning commentary and news is paywalled. Fashy right wing publications and media are not. A single billionaire can often finance the entire thing - this is why most of them run around drooling and parroting talking points verbatim from right wing media. They get it for free. Want to know why CNN did a right turn - John Malone is the reason.

ygolo

My termites win
Another good one by the same guy:

I like it when he stays closer to relatable experiences, uses statistics and facts about the history of words and concepts. He actually traces the meanings of words and symbols.

When he's like {thorny disputed phrases 1} leads to {thorny disputed phrases 2} ... I just tune out.

The Cat

Staff member
Who really is "middle class"?

I've heard tell of an old legend: That there is no Middle Class. Not really. Certainly not now, if there ever really was one... Some might say there never really was one, just lower class getting too uppity. Others might say the "upper class" could use being brought down a few pegs to the mud down here with the rest of us. Me, I think it's a nice dream to aim for if you can afford it. But the whole thing feels a bit like a kansas city shuffle at this point.

ygolo

My termites win
I've heard tell of an old legend: That there is no Middle Class. Not really. Certainly not now, if there ever really was one... Some might say there never really was one, just lower class getting too uppity. Others might say the "upper class" could use being brought down a few pegs to the mud down here with the rest of us. Me, I think it's a nice dream to aim for if you can afford it. But the whole thing feels a bit like a kansas city shuffle at this point.
I still hold out some long term optimism. Not for some intermediate third class between capital and labor, but for the ability in some nations in one class becoming part of the other without doing harm to themselves or others.

People look at a lot of graphs of showing inequality and cut it off at the 70s basically throwing up their hands saying we have never been able to curb it. But what they need to do is go out further into the past and you can definitely see it. FDRs New Deal is one thing that certainly worked by the numbers.

Here is a graph of the share of household wealth by the top 0.1%
m_qjw004f1p.jpeg

This is why I am sick of these graphs that only stretch back to 1970 or 1980 making wealth inequality just seem like it is an inherent part of the US economic system.

When it comes to economic mobility (switching socioeconomic groups), that situation is just getting worse, and it is difficult to get updated data (partly because the current generations still have a long working life ahead of them), but the trends are bad.

See figures 1 and 2.

To put a finer point on the lack of mobility, it is actually get worse for some groups.
social-mobility1.gif

So the reason for optimism is that despite trends going in the wrong direction and there being racial disparities, there are still a significant portion of people doing a little (10%) better.

But we still need to do something about the issues that the system has. We have evidence that there are some bright spots both in the past and present that we can make more prevalent.
Economic mobility is decreasing in the United States. Among people born in the U.S. in 1940, 90% went on to earn more than their parents did. For those born in the 1980s, that figure has dropped to 50%.

We definitely need to reverse this trend.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
Finally, a little bit of good news:

From March to September, 2023, wages have grown relative to inflation. There was also some time in 2020 to 2021.

Let's see if we can sustain that for another 50 years for things to get back to parity.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
The belief that the educated are "elite" is total BS.

If people went into biomedical research, for instance, thinking they could improve the state of medicine a bit, only to find out your only real livable options are working for big pharma or some sort of VC funded pay day, that can be rather disheartening. Your skills are in research, and values are in helping people, but your success depends on other things entirely.