• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Leading Questions and Manipulation

Mole

Permabanned
Many come here to ask leading questions. And leading questions are simply manipulative.

And when I don't answer their leading questions, and don't wish to be manipulated, I am accused of being off topic, and ostracised to the Graveyard for a long time.

There is something wrong with this.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Many come here to ask leading questions. And leading questions are simply manipulative.

And when I don't answer their leading questions, and don't wish to be manipulated, I am accused of being off topic, and ostracised to the Graveyard for a long time.

There is something wrong with this.

I think I get what you are getting at. Leading questions might save time, but nuance they do not provide. When you sum up years of controversy into a single question, much is lost to someone who is new to a controversy. I think people should take the time to go over the details, and analyze things from the beginning once in a while. Lest we be locked into a certain way of thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, what is a leading question?

A leading question is a question which subtly prompts the respondent to answer in a particular way. Leading questions are generally undesirable as they result in false or slanted information.

Mole

Permabanned
Sorry, what is a leading question?

A judge won't allow leading questions in court because it is leading the witness, and the witness must be free from manipulation to give free and true witness.

In daily life I think it is gracious to allow others to speak freely without manipulation.

Free speech is important for the health of democracy and for the mental health of the individual, and those who want to manipulate us, want to control us, they want to control what we say, and infringe our free speech.

Mole

Permabanned
I think I get what you are getting at. Leading questions might save time, but nuance they do not provide. When you sum up years of controversy into a single question, much is lost to someone who is new to a controversy. I think people should take the time to go over the details, and analyze things from the beginning once in a while. Lest we be locked into a certain way of thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

A leading question is a question which subtly prompts the respondent to answer in a particular way. Leading questions are generally undesirable as they result in false or slanted information.

I dislike leading questions because they are underhand, they are not open and honest, they are sly and hope to fool us. And most of us are well intentioned and the leading question takes advantage of our good intentions to manipulate and control us.

Mole

Permabanned
In general, leading questions/statements save time

Sure, a time and motion study would show that leading questions save time, but free speech is not about efficiency, rather free speech is about responsible freedom.

Sure, a dictatorship is more efficient than liberal democracy, but who wants to live in a dictatorship?

Tomb1

Sure, a time and motion study would show that leading questions save time, but free speech is not about efficiency, rather free speech is about responsible freedom.

Sure, a dictatorship is more efficient than liberal democracy, but who wants to live in a dictatorship?

The increased misses/margin of error from a high-volume of leading questions, as opposed to non-leading questions, is so small that the added efficiency produces abundant net gains.

The increased misses/margin of error from a dictatorship, as opposed to a liberal democracy, is so huge that the added efficiency produces abundant net losses.

Moreover, there is no downplaying the huge qualitative difference between forms of questions versus forms of political systems.

Mole

Permabanned
The increased misses/margin of error from a high-volume of leading questions, as opposed to non-leading questions, is so small that the added efficiency produces abundant net gains.

The increased misses/margin of error from a dictatorship, as opposed to a liberal democracy, is so huge that the added efficiency produces abundant net losses.

Sure, it gets down to our values: do we value efficiency, or do we value responsible freedom?

Under responsible freedom leading questions are a moral weakness.

And under efficiency leading questions are a moral strength.